OT: 2020-2021 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Badgers miss Holloways speed and strength up front. Michigan is a handful.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Michigan wins the first game 5-2. Badger defense showed shades of last year on goals 3 and 4. Hopefully they can clean that up.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Gophers played better in the second. Better job of getting pucks deep and not turning it over at the blue line. Lacombe looking really good on D.
LaCombe get caught down deep for a late 2-1 goal for Penn State. 2-1 Minnesota after 2.

4-1 final.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's the deal with Lacombe. Will he be a liability on D? he's got offensive talent. Faber seems to be cut from the same cloth. Koster didn't look out of place. small, but nice skater.
Gophs were a bit sloppy, but nothing like previous years. They seem really deep up front, though maybe not with a lot of top end talent. Hard to say...Penn State doesn't look like that strong of a team. Their goalie made a lot of nice saves early on to keep the score respectable.

Michigan looks like they have a chance to be a powerhouse. I actually thought the Badgers D was ok, but was not impressed with their speed or strength. They kept getting beat to pucks, and in puck battles. That's where they miss Holloway.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
That's the deal with Lacombe. Will he be a liability on D? he's got offensive talent. Faber seems to be cut from the same cloth. Koster didn't look out of place. small, but nice skater.
Gophs were a bit sloppy, but nothing like previous years. They seem really deep up front, though maybe not with a lot of top end talent. Hard to say...Penn State doesn't look like that strong of a team. Their goalie made a lot of nice saves early on to keep the score respectable.

Michigan looks like they have a chance to be a powerhouse. I actually thought the Badgers D was ok, but was not impressed with their speed or strength. They kept getting beat to pucks, and in puck battles. That's where they miss Holloway.
I don't think LaCombe will be a liability defensively. They just have to reel him in a bit. He is trying to do to much. Other than Brinkman I thought all the young defense played well. Compared to the dumpster fire early last year the Gophers looked fine. They dominated on faceoffs. Ben Meyers and his line had a good night.

Penn State lost a ton to graduation, and it was weird to hear the announcers calling them a young team.
They played fine. Felt sorry for the kid playing defense on the Ranta goal. Totally got caught flat footed and probably should have turned earlier and tried to get an angle on him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Did anyone catch the Gophs game today? Who the hell plays a game at 3pm on Friday?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
DB , what do think of the Badgers?
I think the defense is much better than a year ago. Last night was a perfect example. They played Michigan to a tie for 64.5 minutes despite missing their top 2 centers (Holloway and Pelton-Byce). Beydoun has been a rock in net so far. Kehrer, a freshman defenseman, looks like a defensive stud. Granato trusted him out there 3v3 for multiple shifts and that says a lot to me. Gone are the defensive disasters of Kalynuk and Miller. Caufield is definitely snakebitten and frustrated. You can see it when he goes to the bench for a line change or tries to dangle a guy (usually about 50/50) and it doesn’t work. I don’t understand why he isn’t in the Ovechkin spot on the power play. That’s his bread and butter. The team as a whole feels like it’s better at passing and that definitely has them looking more “team” oriented than the “me first” play they had last year.

If I had to guess where they would be pairwise at the end of the season, if this were a normal year, based on what I’ve seen, I’d say the 12-20 range. But Pairwise is meaningless this year.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
Gophers sweep Penn State with 3-2 win. Penn State played much better and outshot the Gophers but a lot of shots were from the perimeter including the second goal which was a softy. LaFontaine was solid except for that.

Thoughts on Brock Faber after 2 games. Great skater with excellent recovery skills. Didn't look out of place at all and fact looked really poised. The part that surprised me is that he isn't afraid to hit somebody.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
College hockey on a monday. Kinda weirdchamp if you ask me, but I'm here for it.

Last edited:

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Idk, could understand them not calling it a goal. The puck wasn't in the net when the goalie mask came off. Isn't the play blown dead the second a goalie mask is off?
Lot of grey area still. I think they made the right call but like the announcer said he was making a hockey play. I’d be in the box a lot had there been goalie interference back when I played. I crashed the net hard quite a bit

Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Lot of grey area still. I think they made the right call but like the announcer said he was making a hockey play. I’d be in the box a lot had there been goalie interference back when I played. I crashed the net hard quite a bit
Nothing that the announcer said was anywhere close to relevant to the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad