2020/2021 line up

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Yeah, I'd be very happy landing Byfield. I think we'll need to be a bit more patient with him as a younger guy who is so big and still becoming the sum of his parts, but as one of the top players in the CHL at that age with little support, he is the total package. His floor is so low, as well, with likel Lafreniere as the only safer bet in the draft.

And while I don't think he'll end up a Hart candidate, I do see him as a bonafide #1 center like a Sean Couturier or Eric Staal. It will take a few years before he is ready to take over #1 center duties, but then we'll have a 10 year window with a true #1 center. I also think he would be the potential perfect line mate for Tkachuk long-term, as he would create space for Brady, and Brady would give Byfield all sorts of confidence being able to play beside a guy that takes so much of the attention of the other team's top players. They would also be tremendous down low on the cycle together as they both fill out and become more physically imposing.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Tkachuk-Byfield-Batherson
Duclair-White-Brown
Formenton-Tierney 'A'-Ryan 'A'
Paul-Anisimov-Sabourin

Chabot 'C'-Drysdale
Brannstrom-Thomson
Reilly-Zaitsev
Borowiecki 'A'

Hoberg
Nilsson

I just wanted to see what the likely Senators line-up would consist of. Look like a team good enough to not stay in the basement, but in 2-3 seasons likely slowly turn into a contender again.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Our center depth is awful right now. Tierney, Paul, White and Anisimov is far too weak down the middle. Plus, I really hope we deal Tierney at the draft.

So, who else do we have that can play C? Any chance we keep Matthew Peca?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Our center depth is awful right now. Tierney, Paul, White and Anisimov is far too weak down the middle. Plus, I really hope we deal Tierney at the draft.

One of Byfield or Stutzle?

Also, Norris, Chlapik

Edit oh and Brown...

Last edited:

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009

Norris, White, Paul I am ok with for 2, 3, 4 C's. Its that No 1 thats the problem. Brown needs to step up big this year. Worst case we will have to wait for byfield or stutzle to fill that role.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Norris, White, Paul I am ok with for 2, 3, 4 C's. Its that No 1 thats the problem. Brown needs to step up big this year. Worst case we will have to wait for byfield or stutzle to fill that role.

White was less effective than Chaplik (replacement level) last year and Norris is a rookie. We are paper thin at C unless White, Brown, Norris take a huge step.

Even if they hit their ceilings we are still thin.

Last edited:

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017

I think it's fair to say our bonafide center depth is awful. But in terms of overall options, we are likely in fine shape even if we don't draft someone ready to audition at center. We have a total of 7 centers who can play with the team this year, and while 5 of them have question marks around them, we do need to learn more about what we have, in particular in a year where we are still rebuilding.

We're stuck with Anisimov for one more year, which gives us a veteran center, without feeling obliged to give him quality minutes of any sort. If he gets pushed down the depth chart by youth, we'll be happy and won't really care if he doesn't like it. He's also a trade chip to move for a pick at the deadline next year. And if the youth aren't quite ready, he can keep a spot warm for a season. Meanwhile, Tierney is a very good two-way center who can play a somewhat similar roll, but his best hockey still might be ahead of him. He is also more than capable of taking on some of the tougher minutes to help shield some of our younger pivots. We should learn more about whether we want Tierney part of the team this year too, as he might end up with a Pageau like year (and a potential trade chip).

I expect Norris and Brown to split time between Ottawa and Belleville, perhaps swapping spots for each other at times. They have both proven to be elite AHL centers, so they should both get some NHL time this year year. So between the two of them, we should have at least one of them in the lineup as a center for the season. That's a third center spot.

Filling out the last center spot, and also helping shield Norris and Brown, will be Paul, White and Chlapik. I expect Paul and White to float between center and wing on a line, perhaps with one Brown or Norris, to help with draws and perhaps swing over to center in the D zone to help make things easier for each of them at times. And even if White and Paul both play the wing, Chlapik is a capable depth center, who still yet might prove to be better than a 4th line center. If he sits as the 4th line center all year, but swings up to 3rd line in a pinch at times, I'm find with that. I'd really like to see Chlapik in a bit more of a grinding role to see if he can carve out a spot in the bottom 6 on our team, and also help on the PK. If he falls short of filling this spot, we probably know he isn't part of the team long-term then. This is the year to give him a shot.

And all of this during a season with no expectation, but where we do want to learn more about Brown, Norris, White and Chlapik to see where they might fit long term. It also allows us to patient with Byfield to send him down if he isn't ready, and if the team wants to try Stutzle at center, it's probably better he go back to Germany to be their #1 center for a year, before trying to be a fulltime center in the NHL.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think it's fair to say our bonafide center depth is awful. But in terms of overall options, we are likely in fine shape even if we don't draft someone ready to audition at center. We have a total of 7 centers who can play with the team this year, and while 5 of them have question marks around them, we do need to learn more about what we have, in particular in a year where we are still rebuilding.

We're stuck with Anisimov for one more year, which gives us a veteran center, without feeling obliged to give him quality minutes of any sort. If he gets pushed down the depth chart by youth, we'll be happy and won't really care if he doesn't like it. He's also a trade chip to move for a pick at the deadline next year. And if the youth aren't quite ready, he can keep a spot warm for a season. Meanwhile, Tierney is a very good two-way center who can play a somewhat similar roll, but his best hockey still might be ahead of him. He is also more than capable of taking on some of the tougher minutes to help shield some of our younger pivots. We should learn more about whether we want Tierney part of the team this year too, as he might end up with a Pageau like year (and a potential trade chip).

I expect Norris and Brown to split time between Ottawa and Belleville, perhaps swapping spots for each other at times. They have both proven to be elite AHL centers, so they should both get some NHL time this year year. So between the two of them, we should have at least one of them in the lineup as a center for the season. That's a third center spot.

Filling out the last center spot, and also helping shield Norris and Brown, will be Paul, White and Chlapik. I expect Paul and White to float between center and wing on a line, perhaps with one Brown or Norris, to help with draws and perhaps swing over to center in the D zone to help make things easier for each of them at times. And even if White and Paul both play the wing, Chlapik is a capable depth center, who still yet might prove to be better than a 4th line center. If he sits as the 4th line center all year, but swings up to 3rd line in a pinch at times, I'm find with that. I'd really like to see Chlapik in a bit more of a grinding role to see if he can carve out a spot in the bottom 6 on our team, and also help on the PK. If he falls short of filling this spot, we probably know he isn't part of the team long-term then. This is the year to give him a shot.

And all of this during a season with no expectation, but where we do want to learn more about Brown, Norris, White and Chlapik to see where they might fit long term. It also allows us to patient with Byfield to send him down if he isn't ready, and if the team wants to try Stutzle at center, it's probably better he go back to Germany to be their #1 center for a year, before trying to be a fulltime center in the NHL.

If we end up with Byfield and Stutz I’d be fine sending Byfield back to junior and moving Stutzle between Ottawa, Belleville, and the U20’s at LW/C.

Depending how training camp goes but possibly start with Byfield up for 9/15 games with Stutz in Belleville.

Last edited:

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Hawryluk is listed as a centre. I like him.
Yeah, he just doesn't seem to ever play center. It seems like he is basically been on the wing at the NHL level. One of the first things I went to check was his stats including face-offs in Florida, and barely took any. Maybe just week at face-offs and switches to center, but it didn't look like that during his time in Ottawa.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
White was less effective than Chaplik (replacement level) last year and Norris is a rookie. We are paper thin at C unless White, Brown, Norris take a huge step.

White needs to take a big step up this year for sure (and Brown as well). Unfortunately we are stuck with White in the lineup due to his contract. Honestly I hope Seattle takes him off our plate in the expansion. I agree we are the bottom of the league in terms of centres, but add norris and byfield in a few years we are looking much better.

I think Norris is most likely to step up this year. His progression along with Formenton was crazy last year. Hopefully it wasnt just a fluke product of a stacked Belleville team.

Reactions: Sweatred

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
White needs to take a big step up this year for sure (and Brown as well). Unfortunately we are stuck with White in the lineup due to his contract. Honestly I hope Seattle takes him off our plate in the expansion. I agree we are the bottom of the league in terms of centres, but add norris and byfield in a few years we are looking much better.

I think Norris is most likely to step up this year. His progression along with Formenton was crazy last year. Hopefully it wasnt just a fluke product of a stacked Belleville team.

I'm actually interested to see how White responds this year. Everyone was disappointed with his season last year, and he struggled as a center often, but the year prior he was more RW and played well with 41 points in 71 games. If he had done that this season, he would have been right up there with the top scorers on the team.

Development is not linear, so he could easily take a step forward this year from his play 2 years ago. And I wonder whether White will be the type of guy that if he is the 2nd or 3rd best forward on his line, he can be quite effective as a compliment. That is certainly how he thrived in junior and two years ago with the Sens, but he struggled this year in the bottom 6 where he was expected to perhaps carry the line. Put him on the right side of a decent center, alongside Tkachuk, and perhaps he is a consistent 50-60 point guy who is excellent defensively and sees more PK time than PP. That could be a great fit over the next few years with the influx of so many talented young forwards. And we don't have a ton of depth at RW, even after this draft where we'll likely add to the left side, and perhaps center.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
I'm actually interested to see how White responds this year. Everyone was disappointed with his season last year, and he struggled as a center often, but the year prior he was more RW and played well with 41 points in 71 games. If he had done that this season, he would have been right up there with the top scorers on the team.

Development is not linear, so he could easily take a step forward this year from his play 2 years ago. And I wonder whether White will be the type of guy that if he is the 2nd or 3rd best forward on his line, he can be quite effective as a compliment. That is certainly how he thrived in junior and two years ago with the Sens, but he struggled this year in the bottom 6 where he was expected to perhaps carry the line. Put him on the right side of a decent center, alongside Tkachuk, and perhaps he is a consistent 50-60 point guy who is excellent defensively and sees more PK time than PP. That could be a great fit over the next few years with the influx of so many talented young forwards. And we don't have a ton of depth at RW, even after this draft where we'll likely add to the left side, and perhaps center.
The question is how many of White's 41 pt season was off of gimmi plays from Stone and Duchene? I hope I am wrong but I feel that contract may haunt us for many years...

Reactions: Sweatred

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The question is how many of White's 41 pt season was off of gimmi plays from Stone and Duchene? I hope I am wrong but I feel that contract may haunt us for many years...

If the Senators can't find players with the offensive ability of Duchene and Stone in their rebuild then it will be doomed regardless of White's contract.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If the Senators can't find players with the offensive ability of Duchene and Stone in their rebuild then it will be doomed regardless of White's contract.

and if we find a bunch it will suck paying White $6.25 if he doesn’t improve.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Until we see the draft results this thread has little value, in my opinion.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Until we see the draft results this thread has little value, in my opinion.
Ok. I guess you can check back on this thread in June then. Thanks for stopping by. :)

But really, Lafrenierre is the only sure pick to make the team and odds are we won't get him. Other players in the top 5 would be 50/50 at best, so projecting the lineup with out adding any of the draftees is still a reasonable exercise, recognizing a spot or two might get challenged.

Reactions: Crosside

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

really, even if they hit their ceilings lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
for a guy that had a such a great year its reeeeaaaal easy to forget Connor Brown is an Ottawa Senator

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How do Norris and White’s ceilings stack up against Matthews and Tavares ? Or Stamkos and Point , Eichel and Reinhart , Bergeron and Coyle or who ever ... LOL...
Well I mean...... how do ANY center prospects ceilings stack against Matthews Tavares stamkos eichel and Bergeron that’s so silly lmao.

point wasn’t point up until 2 seasons ago. If we had Reinhardt you would have been calling for his head by his sophomore year. Lol coyle get outta here.

Only one of those centers has led their team to a Stanley cup as well as well.

like nah unless you have the best players in the game all assembled on one team your team is crap.

I mean Norris progression has been pretty aggressive here. I mean. Pretend Reinhardt And point are 19 again. Would a legitimate argument against them be “well how do their ceiling stack up against Crosby?!?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Well I mean...... how do ANY center prospects ceilings stack against Matthews Tavares stamkos eichel and Bergeron that’s so silly lmao.

point wasn’t point up until 2 seasons ago. If we had Reinhardt you would have been calling for his head by his sophomore year. Lol coyle get outta here.

Only one of those centers has led their team to a Stanley cup as well as well.

like nah unless you have the best players in the game all assembled on one team your team is crap.

No .... my point is we are thin at Center ...as in nearly every team in our division has better centers than us ... the rest of the stuff you added.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No .... my point is we are thin at Center ...as in nearly every team in our division has better centers than us ... the rest of the stuff you added.
We are a rebuilding team at the start of out rebuild. of course we don't have the center depth of our divisional rivals. two of which are legitimate cup contenders. sure buffalo has Eichel hasn't helped them though theyre crap. I see no reason why we cant be a better team than buffalo Eichel or no Eichel. my point is you don't really know their ceiling.. who knows in 4 years another team with a center prospect might be saying" how does this guy match up against Norris?"

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We are a rebuilding team at the start of out rebuild. of course we don't have the center depth of our divisional rivals. two of which are legitimate cup contenders. sure buffalo has Eichel hasn't helped them though theyre crap. I see no reason why we cant be a better team than buffalo Eichel or no Eichel. my point is you don't really know their ceiling.. who knows in 4 years another team with a center prospect might be saying" how does this guy match up against Norris?"

Slow down ... I said we are thin at Center - even if Norris and White hit their ceilings. Cool if you agree or disagree.

PS. I’m pretty comfortable claiming White’s ceiling is less than Matthews, Stamkos, Bergeron etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad