2020-2021 Laval Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
going to need better AHL vets but Bourque and Martel are really solid starts and should be good for guys like Teasdale and RHP. Still holding out hope for someone like Hudon, Terry, etc.. someone that can put the puck in the net consistently.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sweet, he's a good producer at the AHL level, he should slide right into a top 6 role. With Veilleux leaving ( and Blandisi potentially leaving as well) we need a couple proven AHL vets to carry the load on offense. Bourque and him should help.

Blandisi is RFA though, so if we want him to stay, he doesn't really have a choice.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Blandisi is RFA though, so if we want him to stay, he doesn't really have a choice.
That's correct. And it wouldn't really make sense for the organization to break up the Blandisi-Poehling-Teasdale line. It was a killer this season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He can sign with another AHL team and after the season he is free to sign with another NHL team.

I mean if we want to get nitpicky, yes (wouldn't be in another NHL system though as the rights would still be with the Habs), but how often has that actually happened?

Especially since I haven't seen any indication Blandisi was unhappy/wanted to leave.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
going to need better AHL vets but Bourque and Martel are really solid starts and should be good for guys like Teasdale and RHP. Still holding out hope for someone like Hudon, Terry, etc.. someone that can put the puck in the net consistently.

Concerning the veterans signed for Laval, we are at 4 right now (Dauphin, Martel, Bourque, Ouellet).

We have 2 places to fill (most likely Blandisi and Belzile), so I guess that part is done.

I would like us to signed some more depth for the ECHL team. Players with some upside to reach AHL, like we did with Bisson.

Next years lineup as of right now:

F (8):
Baddock
Bourque
Dauphin
Harvey-Pinard
Martel
Teasdale
Vejdemo
Ylonen

RFA: Blandisi, Lucchini, Pezzetta
UFA: Belzile

D (6):
Bisson
Brook
Fairbrother
Fleury
Ouellet
Schueneman

RFA: None

G:
Primeau
Poulin

RFA: McNiven

Leskinen and Oloffson are gone, we will need more D.

Weal is gone. Poehling is most likely making the Habs next year.

ECHL: Hillis, Khisamutdinov, Ducharme, Amorosa, Desruisseaux, Neill, Beaudoin

EDIT: Added Beaudoin

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Concerning the veterans signed for Laval, we are at 4 right now (Dauphin, Martel, Bourque, Ouellet).

We have 2 places to fill (most likely Blandisi and Belzile), so I guess that part is done.

I would like us to signed some more depth for the ECHL team. Players with some upside to reach AHL, like we did with Bisson.

Next years lineup as of right now:

F (8):
Baddock
Bourque
Dauphin
Harvey-Pinard
Martel
Teasdale
Vejdemo
Ylonen

RFA: Blandisi, Lucchini, Pezzetta
UFA: Belzile

D (6):
Bisson
Brook
Fairbrother
Fleury
Ouellet
Schueneman

RFA: None

G:
Primeau
Poulin

RFA: McNiven

Leskinen and Oloffson are gone, we will need more D.

Weal is gone. Poehling is most likely making the Habs next year.

ECHL: Hillis, Khisamutdinov, Ducharme, Amorosa, Desruisseaux, Neill

That's a solid line-up

We may have 4 impact defenders joining the team late in the year (Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Guhle) which could really push this squad to new heights for the playoffs. And Mysak up front.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That's a solid line-up

We may have 4 impact defenders joining the team late in the year (Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Guhle) which could really push this squad to new heights for the playoffs. And Mysak up front.

I find it weak. There's a clear lack of offence up front (especially goalscoring) and the D is a clear step back from last year. Goaltending should be solid though.

Only guy who scored more than 20 goals in a year for forwards is Martel (25 in 2017-2018). Ylonen, RHP and Teasdale may reach 20 goals this year as they would have done so if we prorate their season, but this time there's going to be more teams to play against. Still, we have zero bona fide goalscorer unless Ylonen really takes a jump in the offseason.

Our D has good offensive tools, but apart from Bisson it's going to be rough defensively.

All in all, easily worse than last year.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I find it weak. There's a clear lack of offence up front (especially goalscoring) and the D is a clear step back from last year. Goaltending should be solid though.

Only guy who scored more than 20 goals in a year for forwards is Martel (25 in 2017-2018). Ylonen, RHP and Teasdale may reach 20 goals this year as they would have done so if we prorate their season, but this time there's going to be more teams to play against. Still, we have zero bona fide goalscorer unless Ylonen really takes a jump in the offseason.

Our D has good offensive tools, but apart from Bisson it's going to be rough defensively.

All in all, easily worse than last year.

If Bouchard is back, it is a perfect team for him. Of course, it would be nice to have a 100-pts scorer, but the team is deep, experienced and skilled enough that it will compete with any team in the league. Bouchard will have them working hard, playing fast and being sound defensively. I'm not worried in the least. He can get the best out of those guys.

I also think Martel could easily become a top scorer in the AHL. He had 3 straight 20 goals seasons and was a borderline NHLer. He is a classic veteran who could kill the AHL in the proper environment. And playing under Bouchard could certainly do that to him.

Not having a bonafide star also leaves space for a kid like Ylonen, Poehling or Harvey-Pinard to step up and become the team's main weapon.

The D is up in the air since it's 50-50 if Fleury is back or not. He would leave a big hole in the top-4. If he is back though, I have no issues with this D (or if we sign a replacement for him).

Reactions: Archijerej

darknife2311

Jun 29, 2018
Unfortunate that Jevpalovs no longer plays for the Rocket... Martel and him absolutly dominate with BLB...

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Are you sure Belzile is considered a vet? Maybe I counted the games wrong, but he may still not be considered a vet.

256 AHL games +2 NHL games.

So under 260... you're right. Do they count playoffs games ?

If he's not considered a vet (''thanks'' to his injury), then we should signed a vet for the d.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's what I think too.

The fact he's on a one-way AHL deal doesn't mean he's not signed to play in ECHL.
The Habs cannot call up a guy on an AHL contract, so the club will need at least 4 NHL-contracted goalies. If we lose both Allen and Lindgren, and don't keep McNiven, we will need to sign two UFAs. If an NHL team signs UFA goalies, they cannot be sent to the ECHL if they are not on an ELC (which they won't be).

Why not keep McNiven, who still has upside? Yes, he would have to play in the AHL too, but he is capable of that.

At any rate, if they don't trust McNiven to be the 4th NHL goalie, it doesn't change the fact that Poulin would seem to fit the ECHL ticket (and can move up to AHL if there are injuries ahead of him).

Finally, they can sign McNiven to an AHL contract, which he might accept if he does not get an NHL contract offer anywhere else.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Habs cannot call up a guy on an AHL contract, so the club will need at least 4 NHL-contracted goalies. If we lose both Allen and Lindgren, and don't keep McNiven, we will need to sign two UFAs. If an NHL team signs UFA goalies, they cannot be sent to the ECHL if they are not on an ELC (which they won't be).

Why not keep McNiven, who still has upside? Yes, he would have to play in the AHL too, but he is capable of that.

At any rate, if they don't trust McNiven to be the 4th NHL goalie, it doesn't change the fact that Poulin would seem to fit the ECHL ticket (and can move up to AHL if there are injuries ahead of him).

Finally, they can sign McNiven to an AHL contract, which he might accept if he does not get an NHL contract offer anywhere else.

No one is talking about Poulin to the NHL.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Understood, but if he plays in Laval, where does the 4th NHL contracted goalie play?

Yea, they'll need to figure the goalie depth out. Especially if Allen is taken by Seattle. But that is why I was saying that even if Poulin is on a one-way AHL deal, it doesn't mean he won't play for 3R.

As for McNiven, I want him back.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yea, they'll need to figure the goalie depth out. Especially if Allen is taken by Seattle. But that is why I was saying that even if Poulin is on a one-way AHL deal, it doesn't mean he won't play for 3R.

As for McNiven, I want him back.
I so want McNiven back, I think he could be a very solid NHL backup. He has had a tough development with the Habs and being tossed around from AHL to ECHL, heck 3 ECHL teams in one season.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I so want McNiven back, I think he could be a very solid NHL backup. He has had a tough development with the Habs and being tossed around from AHL to ECHL, heck 3 ECHL teams in one season.
I think he could be good too. I worry that his playing time has been so limited though, they might cut him loose and want to start over with someone else. In 3 years, he's barely played. Not his fault of course.
This is why I think they should try and get one of the top goalies this draft. I'm not sold on Primeau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad