2020-2021 Laval Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't think Leguerrier gets a contract. And Fleury is in Montreal or picked up on waivers (like Juulsen), so he won't be in Laval.

Ouellet, Brook, Schueneman, Fairbrother, Bisson, and hopefully, Leskinen should all be back. No idea about Olofsson. I imagine he goes back to Sweden.

His family moved in the US when he was 16 (and before that when he was 7 to 11). Will be interesting if he stays in NA or goes to Europe.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I would have thought Ken Dryden was part of that team but that must have been the following year.
Dryden came out of college late in 71. I think you are right and he played some AHL games in 71, before playing 6 regular season, and then winning the cup before his rookie season. Quick
quiz, name 2 hab D men who had a big impact in a play-off run, before their rookie season. Hint, they both shoot right.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
His family moved in the US when he was 16 (and before that when he was 7 to 11). Will be interesting if he stays in NA or goes to Europe.
If I were to guess, if he stays in NA, his wife would want him to get an adult job. If he went
back to Europe. he 'd easily be top 4D in any Euro league.

Locks

May 28, 2005
I haven't followed our cap situation other than knowing we're very close to the limit. However, would I be wrong in guessing that's likely the reason Leskinen hasn't had a chance yet ? Personally, I find he looks ready for a tryout with the big club.

Yes, right now we can't bring him unless it is on an emergency basis if another dman gets injured. But from the management standpoint, it is likely not a great situation to bring in a rookie D when they are in the playoff race. I do hope MB moves some salary out to alleviate the cap issue though.

They used Oullete when Mete had a bad game because of his experience but even the announcers in today's game stated that Leskinen has been Laval's best and most consistent defender all season long and from what I have seen Leskinen is clearly the better player at this point. I honestly don't expect them to call him up unless injuries hit. I expect MB acquires another vet D.

However, it could happen in the last few games if the Habs clinch and those games against Edmonton become meaningless to give Weber and Petry some rest.
I think he gets a serious look next season. In fact, with the current makeup of the defence, the Habs need much more a PMD like Leskinen than a physical presence of a Fleury.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
This team is getting points like nobody's business. Too bad they have so many injuries, but even then they don't seem to slow down. Atleast Caufield is on his way (hopefully for a short time) to help cover up for the offensive power we lost.

Laval to the moon!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
This is my biggest hot take ever. With the arrival of Caufieldou, there'll be 1000 posts in each Rocket's GDT. HFBoards gonna break records again. Mark my wordou. I think we can dou it.

Reactions: Toene

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Dryden came out of college late in 71. I think you are right and he played some AHL games in 71, before playing 6 regular season, and then winning the cup before his rookie season. Quick
quiz, name 2 hab D men who had a big impact in a play-off run, before their rookie season. Hint, they both shoot right.
PK Subban
Chris Chelios

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No team in the AHL has more points then Laval (of course only 2 teams have played more games then us) but they did this while on a brutal road trip, they have been banged up and had to go with a very young/inexperienced blueline, missing some of their top scorers. They lose Fleury and insert Olofsson, wow talk about not missing a beat as Olofsson has easily been one of their best blueliners over his time in Laval. First they add Ouellet back and now Olofsson, that's just going to improve the blueline that much more.

Getting Belzile back soon would be big as well despite his low totals as he's missed most of the season. If they can get Ylonen and Vejdemo back soon, this could be the best team in the AHL. Now of course it's a covid season so we don't know what to really make of it, but better to be one of the best teams then not or else it would just be all the crap on Timmins, Bouchard, MB. Last year they lost their entire top 6 at one point to injury/call ups but at what ended up being the end of the season, they were on fire especially Primeau who is on a roll now again. I fully felt at the time that had the season not been shutdown they would have made the playoffs Now it looks like we'll have to wait another year to get AHL playoffs, and with what could be a lot of turnover on the roster, depending on who MB re-signs since many players aren't under contract for next season, it will be interesting to see how they do next year.

Locks

May 28, 2005
The Rocket coverage has been very good but I find it very annoying that they give ZERO info on injuries. OK, they don't want to reveal the details to protect the players but not even give the expected return dates is excessive and disappointing.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Some good production over the last number of games from a bunch of the players.

Blandisi: 13 pts in his last 12 GP
Poehling: 12 pts in his last 11 GP
Teasdale: 11 pts in his last 12GP
RHP: 8 pts in his last 9 GP
Weal: 10 pts in his last 10 GP

Leskinen:
9 pts in his last 12 GP
Brook: 5 pts in his last 9 GP
Schueneman: 5 pts in his last 10 GP

Before his injury, Ylonen had 7 pts in his last 10 GP

It's really good to see that the first (RHP, Teasdale & Ylonen) and second year (Poehling, Leskinen & Brook) pros have become such key elements to the success of the team. You add second year pro Primeau, who after a shaky start, has established himself as a dominant goalie.

You also have vets like Blandisi, Weal, and Veilleux who have been producing a lot, as well.

And even though you don't consider Schueneman as one of the young guys, this is actually his second year in the pros. In 2018-19, he finished his NCAA career and signed with the Heat, and only played 6 games. So last year was actually his first full year in the pros. This year is his second year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Some good production over the last number of games from a bunch of the players.

Blandisi: 13 pts in his last 12 GP
Poehling: 12 pts in his last 11 GP
Teasdale: 11 pts in his last 12GP
RHP: 8 pts in his last 9 GP
Weal: 10 pts in his last 10 GP

Leskinen:
9 pts in his last 12 GP
Brook: 5 pts in his last 9 GP
Schueneman: 5 pts in his last 10 GP

Before his injury, Ylonen had 7 pts in his last 10 GP

It's really good to see that the first (RHP, Teasdale & Ylonen) and second year (Poehling, Leskinen & Brook) pros have become such key elements to the success of the team. You add second year pro Primeau, who after a shaky start, has established himself as a dominant goalie.

You also have vets like Blandisi, Weal, and Veilleux who have been producing a lot, as well.

And even though you don't consider Schueneman as one of the young guys, this is actually his second year in the pros. In 2018-19, he finished his NCAA career and signed with the Heat, and only played 6 games. So last year was actually his first full year in the pros. This year is his second year.

For me the biggest surprise has likely been Leskinen, he's really improved and as I didn't take too much notice of him last year and just thought of him as a filler but he could be a legit prospect maybe.

Next would be Poehling maybe as I've always liked him but never saw him as being overly skilled. He's certainly doing better then I thought he would.

After that it would be a toss up between Teasdale and RHP as I thought for sure they would struggle due to their lack of skating and in RHP's case lack of size/speed. I didn't even think RHP would be a regular but he's one hard worked.

The other surprise is Pezzetta, I think he could actually see NHL time in the future if he keeps improving and I didn't think that would be the case in the past.

Brook I had him penciled for rebounding when I did my rankings, though I wish is was further ahead of where he's at, he's at showing that he could break out and turn into the prospect that i thought he would be.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Now it looks like we'll have to wait another year to get AHL playoffs, and with what could be a lot of turnover on the roster, depending on who MB re-signs since many players aren't under contract for next season, it will be interesting to see how they do next year.
I think there should be a good deal of continuity next year. The way they handed out contracts the last two offseasons indicates that stability is important for the management with regard to the Rocket.

Fleury will graduate, but there are already 3 important defencemen signed for next season. I fully expect Leskinen to be extended as well.

They will have to replace Weal as the #1C.

If there's no taxi squad next year, they will probably not re-sign one of Belzile/Dauphin, to make room for Teasdale and Harvey-Pinard in the top-9. If they expect Caufield to be in the NHL next season, they might still re-sign both of them.

If Vejdemo wants to be back, I could see them extending him as well. He might still have potential to be a depth forward.

I could see Laval looking something like this:

G
Primeau
xxx

LD RD
Ouellet Schueneman
Leskinen Brook
Fairbrother xxx
Bisson

C
xxx
Poehling
Vejdemo
Hillis

LW RW
Blandisi Caulfield
Dauphin Ylonen
Harvey-Pinard Teasdale
Khisamutdinov Veilleux

That's still a very strong roster with lots of familiarity and a strong veteran presence.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think there should be a good deal of continuity next year. The way they handed out contracts the last two offseasons indicates that stability is important for the management with regard to the Rocket.

Fleury will graduate, but there are already 3 important defencemen signed for next season. I fully expect Leskinen to be extended as well.

They will have to replace Weal as the #1C.

If there's no taxi squad next year, they will probably not re-sign one of Belzile/Dauphin, to make room for Teasdale and Harvey-Pinard in the top-9. If they expect Caufield to be in the NHL next season, they might still re-sign both of them.

If Vejdemo wants to be back, I could see them extending him as well. He might still have potential to be a depth forward.

I could see Laval looking something like this:

G
Primeau
xxx

LD RD
Ouellet Schueneman
Leskinen Brook
Fairbrother xxx
Bisson

C
xxx
Poehling
Vejdemo
Hillis

LW RW
Blandisi Caulfield
Dauphin Ylonen
Harvey-Pinard Teasdale
Khisamutdinov Veilleux

That's still a very strong roster with lots of familiarity and a strong veteran presence.

Veilleux has been definitely better than Dauphin for Laval, so I would switch them up. Would also be surprised if Caufield is in the AHL next year. Blandisi is a C, so maybe he gets the top6 C role next year. Also missing Belzile

Reactions: montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Purely speculative line-up for 21-22:
I think Vejdemo might go back to Europe or a team with lesser depth as he will be G6 UFA.
Hudon/XXX - Blandisi - Ylonen
Veilleux - Poehling - Belzile
RHP - Dauphin - Teasdale (added bonus can communicate in French on ice)
Khisatmudinov - Hillis - Baddock
Pezzetta, Verbeek
ECHL: Hawel
Wild card: Ikonen could slot in the bottom 6 if signed, bumping Khisatmudinov or Baddock down and maybe Verbeek is not re-signed.

Ouellet Brook
Leskinen Schueneman
Fairbrother Olofsson
Bisson
Wild card: If LeGuerrier is signed, Olofsson is either not re-signed or one of Fairbrother/Olofsson/Schueneman/LeGuerrier sits and Bisson may go to ECHL.

Primeau
McNiven
ECHL: Demchenko/UDFA
Wild Card: They may sign Dichow if Sudbury let his rights go or the OHL doesn't allow euros again next season. He would likely play ECHL.

Reactions: NA Scouting

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
There's a decent chance Fleury ends up back in Laval next year in my opinion. I know Juulsen was picked up on waivers but he had the pedigree of a first rounder. Fleury is more of darkhorse and hasn't been very dominant. He is looking like the 8th D for the Habs next year

Of course moves could be made. For exemple, I could see one of Edmundson or Chiarot being picked by Seattle. Mete and Fleury would be available to them, too. So there might be changes. But we might come back with the same group.

Does Fleury have a spot in here?

Kulak-Petry
Edmundson-Weber
Chiarot-Romanov
Mete

I'm not saying he could not be better than Mete or Kulak or whatever, I'm just saying he might be the odd man out if he doesn't have a tremendous training camp.

And like I said, I'm not so sure he would be picked on waivers either. So he could be back in Laval.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Also, I think there's a decent chance Poehling sticks with the Habs. He has been great this year so with a good training camp I don't think they would send him back. He would look great on Evans' wing to start. They could also stick Corey Perry on the other wing. That would be a great 4th line.

When you think about it, if we're tight against the cap, Lehkonen and Armia might leave. Perhaps Bergevin could find a way to unload Byron too. If that's the case, a couple of spots are open on the bottom-6 or as an extra forward. I think both Poehling and Caufield could start the year in Montreal

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Purely speculative line-up for 21-22:
I think Vejdemo might go back to Europe or a team with lesser depth as he will be G6 UFA.
Hudon/XXX - Blandisi - Ylonen
Veilleux - Poehling - Belzile
RHP - Dauphin - Teasdale (added bonus can communicate in French on ice)
Khisatmudinov - Hillis - Baddock
Pezzetta, Verbeek
ECHL: Hawel
Wild card: Ikonen could slot in the bottom 6 if signed, bumping Khisatmudinov or Baddock down and maybe Verbeek is not re-signed.

Ouellet Brook
Leskinen Schueneman
Fairbrother Olofsson
Bisson
Wild card: If LeGuerrier is signed, Olofsson is either not re-signed or one of Fairbrother/Olofsson/Schueneman/LeGuerrier sits and Bisson may go to ECHL.

Primeau
McNiven
ECHL: Demchenko/UDFA
Wild Card: They may sign Dichow if Sudbury let his rights go or the OHL doesn't allow euros again next season. He would likely play ECHL.

I can definitely see Vejdemo being signed by a team like Buffalo, Columbus or Seattle. Don't think he's in Laval or Montreal next year. He's big & can skate. Can even see teams like Boston or St. Louis taking a shot at signing him. Too many teams looking for young centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->