Speculation: 2020-2021 General Lightning Discussion - Defending Champions Edition: Part 2

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Not exactly the way one had hoped to finish the season. Between injuries and the quality of play on the ice at the end, the team needs a shot of something. I realize there is "hope" with the players who are rested and/or coming off the injured list, but we have seen how this organization does in the post season when it ends the regular season like they did this year. I hope I am wrong (which would be wonderful) but if I am not, then a shakeup has to happen. Crunch Coach Groulx is as ready for the NHL as he is ever going to be, whether it is with Tampa Bay or another organization.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Does he? Why does he keep a guy on the 2nd line that's playing the way Cirelli is? He has 1 point in his last 22 games, we've gone 12 9 1 over that span, we were 24 7 2 prior. We were 1st in the division, 3 points up on Carolina but with a game in hand and 6 up on Florida. We are now 3rd in the division, 5 behind Carolina and 2 behind Florida. You can blame injuries or whatever else but Cirelli's shit play hasn't helped one bit.

True true. To be fair Cirelli is still a “capable” player. He just took 10 steps back and it’s sucks

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Buffalo is such a shit show. Eichel, Risto, Reinhart all want out. You would figure Dahlin, Cozens, and Olofsson wouldn't want to stick around either. Feel bad for their fans. Seattle might be able to snag some decent players from Buffalo, which might lower our chance to get rid of TJ or someone else to them.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Buffalo is such a shit show. Eichel, Risto, Reinhart all want out. You would figure Dahlin, Cozens, and Olofsson wouldn't want to stick around either. Feel bad for their fans. Seattle might be able to snag some decent players from Buffalo, which might lower our chance to get rid of TJ or someone else to them.
Fire Johnson into the bloody sun

If Seattle doesn't take him just buy him out and put us out of this misery.

I'm not giving up a 2022 1st rounder for someone to take him off our hands. That's gonna be a very deep draft and we need to restock

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

I'm not giving up a 2022 1st rounder for someone to take him off our hands. That's gonna be a very deep draft and we need to restock
Buying him out carries a cap hit until 2026-27, he has to submit a 20 team trade list at the end of the season. We can attach a prospect and low pick if we need to. Even retain like 15-20%. Buying out TJ is absolutely the very last option.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

A Cirelli buyout carries a 2.3M dead cap this year so we save 2.5M, but next year we get a 1.5M cap credit when a real top 6 C in Point needs a raise.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Came across a song on Spotify. Don't know if the team uses it. 'Real Good Feeling' by Oh The Larceny.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Gourde - Stamkos
Joseph - Cirelli - Coleman
Maroon - Colton - Johnson

How about this?

Johnson used to cycle well. Maybe he'd get some more room with Maroon & Colton. If that's not working could swap him and Joseph. Just thought Joseph would fit better on that third line with Cirelli and Coleman.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
While I'm super disappointed in Cirelli I still think it's too early to completely give up on him. It seemed like he was nursing an injury last playoffs and then he barely gets time to heal for the next season before playing a super compressed schedule where he also has to compensate for other guys being out. Not the best circumstances.

Reactions: LeafLoyalist

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

this needs to be hammered in now: "You can resume activities without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance."
COVID-19 Vaccination

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Win now my friend. By the time the 2022 pick is a player hedman will be on the way out.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How are they gonna track this? I mean whether you’re fully vaccinated or not?
That's the problem. That's why I assumed this guidance never came out - with the prolific spread of both a) anti-maskers and b) anti-vaxxers, sending along this guidance basically just allows them to ignore even a token acknowledgement of their responsibility.

It's one of those things that to anyone with a brain was self-evident, but also it was self-evident why you wouldn't publicize that.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
How are they gonna track this? I mean whether you’re fully vaccinated or not?
Florida doesn't allow vaccine passports, or using the card that you get when you're vaccinated, for that kind of purpose.

Fauci is saying that as long as you aren't "falling over people", you don't need a mask. What's going to happen is that arenas will probably still require masks for next season.

edit: there's a new infographic (which people find difficult to understand for some reason)
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/pdfs/choosingSaferAct.pdf

Indoor movie theater is fine, indoor full-capacity worship service is fine, an *outdoor* sports event with no mask is fine.

Someone get the Blackhawks.

Last edited:

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
That's the problem. That's why I assumed this guidance never came out - with the prolific spread of both a) anti-maskers and b) anti-vaxxers, sending along this guidance basically just allows them to ignore even a token acknowledgement of their responsibility.

It's one of those things that to anyone with a brain was self-evident, but also it was self-evident why you wouldn't publicize that.
I'm guessing the aim here was to let anti-vaxxers know that they can do whatever they please if they just get vaccinated.

What they failed to take into account is that anti-masking anti-vaxxers already do whatever they want, so there's no incentive in their minds to bother getting vaccinated anyways. Now they'll just blend in better.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Yes. I can't help but feel like this is one of those things that always had to happen at some point - that mask requirements on a broad enforcement level would be reduced - but also was never sure just what was going to be the right way to go about it. I don't trust people with an "honor system". Anti-maskers haven't been complying already, so all this is going to do is bring more general mask resistance, and I would bet that the Venn diagram between anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers is just a single circle.

So I'm not really sure what's being helped here, ultimately. Thankfully, individual businesses can still enforce mask policies on company grounds, so the Lightning and everyone else are still free to have whatever rules they want in place for this kind of stuff.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Yes. I can't help but feel like this is one of those things that always had to happen at some point - that mask requirements on a broad enforcement level would be reduced - but also was never sure just what was going to be the right way to go about it. I don't trust people with an "honor system". Anti-maskers haven't been complying already, so all this is going to do is bring more general mask resistance, and I would bet that the Venn diagram between anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers is just a single circle.

So I'm not really sure what's being helped here, ultimately. Thankfully, individual businesses can still enforce mask policies on company grounds, so the Lightning and everyone else are still free to have whatever rules they want in place for this kind of stuff.
I’m fully vaccinated and always wear a mask when required. But I HATE wearing them. Not a political statement, it’s just uncomfortable. I won’t be going to any event that requires them given the length of time in the arena.

At some point soon I hope to attend sporting events again

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think it's important to distinguish between people who haven't gotten the vaccine because they were undecided and people who are rabid anti-vaxxers, the latter of which are obviously noisier but not necessarily the majority of those who haven't been vaccinated yet. A common refrain among the undecided was "what's the point of getting the shot if I still have to wear a mask? does that mean the vaccine doesn't work?" this just answered that question and hopefully gives a chunk of them the nudge.

Besides that however, there does seem to be science behind this (I'm seeing plenty of other public health and epidemiologists back this up), so perhaps it's really just following the science. Personally I'm gonna wait a little bit and hope cases drop a bit more before I get too excited about throwing away the mask.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think it's important to distinguish between people who haven't gotten the vaccine because they were undecided and people who are rabid anti-vaxxers, the latter of which are obviously noisier but not necessarily the majority of those who haven't been vaccinated yet. A common refrain among the undecided was "what's the point of getting the shot if I still have to wear a mask? does that mean the vaccine doesn't work?" this just answered that question and hopefully gives a chunk of them the nudge.

Besides that however, there does seem to be science behind this (I'm seeing plenty of other public health and epidemiologists back this up), so perhaps it's really just following the science. Personally I'm gonna wait a little bit and hope cases drop a bit more before I get too excited about throwing away the mask.
The new mask guidance doesn't incentivize getting vaccinated in Florida because of the state not allowing vaccine passports. Do nothing and get rewarded basically.

Carrying a mask will be a thing probably for a while, and just pop it on as needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad