2020-2021 FA Cup:

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Mctominay has a sneaky shot to be honest. Some of his goals have been well placed, slick strikes. He's been a treat to watch develop, happy to see his offensive ability coming to light.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Donny's not exactly using this opportunity to make a case for himself.

he made 100 runs that his teammates didn’t see. Go back and watch the first 20-30 mins. Of him getting in behind the defense and point st runs. While Fred and Matic kick it around totally oblivious

I bet he regrets his move. His strengths are wasted with this style and team.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
At least they're off until Monday. They need the rest, especially Rice/Soucek.

And yeah, if Yarmolenko (and Antonio) is out, I have no idea who's going to play striker. Odubeko isn't the solution. Maybe Moyes goes with a Lingard false 9.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
he made 100 runs that his teammates didn’t see. Go back and watch the first 20-30 mins. Of him getting in behind the defense and point st runs. While Fred and Matic kick it around totally oblivious

I bet he regrets his move. His strengths are wasted with this style and team.

It's more about what he did with the ball than without. He needs someone like Mata on the pitch to get something going (if the idea is to rest Bruno). And it looks like Mata isn't available for now since he hans't on the squad and has been silent on social media for a while. I'm thinking it might be family related.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To the older fans. Would you say that the FA Cup has lost prestige over the years?
Yes. The FA Cup is a tin pot participation trophy now.

Obviously it’s better to win it than not to, but it clearly does not resemble the prestige that it used to have.

Reactions: Rob

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yes. The FA Cup is a tin pot participation trophy now.
200.gif

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
To the older fans. Would you say that the FA Cup has lost prestige over the years?

I would say it depends on how far back you go. Of course it also depends on who you ask. "Yes" is the correct answer, but again it depends on how far back you go.

I was just thinking about this the other day, but I think the Copa del Rey and Coppa Italia are both bigger competitions nowadays because they're taken more seriously.

Anyway, I think it's sad. I wish there was some sort of scheme to make the cups more meaningful. A few things they might try, like a CL place for winning the cup, but not sure how that'd go over with the owners of the big clubs.

Reactions: Rob

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you ask the casual fan its all about the CL anyway.
If you ask the players, it’s all about the CL too.

No one from abroad is moving to a big team in England because they want to win the FA Cup; no one is ever mentioning it unless they have been rehearsed to do so.

FA Cup is more important to fans of teams that are not in European competition, but how often are those teams in the final? Look at the prize pay outs with FA Cup compared to European competition. It’s not a money competition. Worse you have the League Cup, which is more or less the same competition so that itself is diminishing it.

The PL has become a lot less English, so there is less emphasis to win the oldest trophy. Also, it hasn’t exactly spurred teams on by winning it either. What exactly has it done for Arsenal? For United? It’s been a self-esteem trophy for them. It hasn’t kicked off anything, those teams are still both way below their standards. United starting to comeback a bit but Arsenal? It’s nice to win but in the scheme of things it hasn’t brought back the glory days. Wigan won it in 2012-13. How magical! They got relegated that season. Haven’t been back in the PL since.

It’s a novelty cup that relies on nostalgia. So yeah it’s a participation medal. It’s nice to win, but there are many reasons it’s not as relevant anymore.

Mar 1, 2002
If you ask the players, it’s all about the CL too.

No one from abroad is moving to a big team in England because they want to win the FA Cup; no one is ever mentioning it unless they have been rehearsed to do so.

For 6 teams, you are probably right.

For every other club, in every level of football in England, you're probably wrong.

I can't see a single player on Brighton with a single thought about CL.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

For every other club, in every level of football in England, you're probably wrong.

Very NA-centric perspective as well.

Yes, if you gave a hypothetical fan the choice of the CL or the FA Cup, they'd choose the CL, that doesn't make the FA Cup a meaningless participation trophy. I don't even understand how a merit-based knockout competition works into a participation medal, anyway.

Reactions: AB13 and Evilo

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

For sure, but those Top 6 are also the teams that are generally winning it too; but often because of happenstance of being the best, deepest teams in the country; not because they are outright going for it.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->