2020-2021 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Highlights | Duel d'espoirs du CH où Jesperi Kotkaniemi surplombe Jesse Ylonen

KK vs Ylonen round 2 : Kotkaniemi wins with 2 goals. Here are some highlights.

Thanks again for these Plekatorz.

That's a nice batch of highlights. The Pelicans look god awful though lol.

I could be wrong but I still don't know if he's playing at 100%. Just seems like there's a bit of casualness there.

Nice passes though. You obviously want to see him play good but I just really don't think you can draw much from his play over there. Like someone else mentioned that Stepan had 4 pts in 12 games over there. It's not hard fact that if you don't produce over there, you can't over here. Not in these circumstances.

There's a very good chance he has a bit of contempt and just doesn't feel the need to go balls to the wall out there. Maybe he shouldn't be that way at 20 but I think it's a very real possibility that he sees himself as an NHLer who doesn't have to prove anything over in an inferior league. He's pretty much said as much. When you look at his intensity in the playoffs compared to the little we're seeing here, I think it's possible as well.

And I'm not trying to say 'relax, he's a 1c for sure. no need to worry here.' I do think that his upside COULD be limited. People are bringing up good points. But just not 3rd line C limited. That's silly.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
He is frustrated I think. I saw him a few time looking at the ceiling after his teamate made a mistake. I don’t think he wants to be there.
I can believe that. Especially with some of the passes he makes... I'd be frustrated too if my teammates did the Plekanec special every damn time (shot right in the goalie crest).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I watched a little of Alexander Gordin's game today but it was a blowout so hard to stay interested. He had only 1 goal, 3 shots in a 9-1 game. He's really cooled off after that hot start with just 4 pts in his last 8 games.

It comes off as if it's disinterest from his part because he's "bored."

I would like him to be in the VHL. But if it's to be a healthy scratch while there, then I'd rather see him play in the MHL. It's like he's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I would like him to be in the VHL. But if it's to be a healthy scratch while there, then I'd rather see him play in the MHL. It's like he's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Covid screwed things up, probably could have convinced someone to draft him in the import, brought him over and play a year in the CHL. At least there would be a level of adaptation to spur his interest.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

especially in a 9-1 game or 8 before his goal.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He is frustrated I think. I saw him a few time looking at the ceiling after his teamate made a mistake. I don’t think he wants to be there.

He certainly doesn't look thrilled. His game doesn't seem to have the same intensity he had in the playoffs and I'm MORE than fine with that.

I'd still want to see more shifts where he's flat out dominating but I've seen a few flashes that are impressive. I'm still a bit cautious about his upside but people thinking he has Eller as a ceiling just need to stop lol.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just got done watching Jack Smith's 2nd game of the season from Saturday night. yikes was it bad for his team, they lost 5-0 and were lucky it wasn't worse, they were flat out dominated. It says Smith's team got 18 shots but I think the home ice played a part and he felt sorry for them as I doubt they had that many and maybe had 3 decent shots all game.

Smith it wasn't pretty either, 1 shot, 2 pims, -3 though 1 goal he had nothing to do with, another he did lose the draw in the defensive zone and they scored but other then that not his fault as the LD for some reason turned to the right to cover the forward when his D partner had him already and left the guy to his left with the puck all alone. But that was how the night went, several defensive breakdowns, they looked lost in their own end.

The one goal against that was on him, he failed to get it out along the wall then when battling in the corner he skated out but went to the front of the net with 2 of his teammates forgetting about the guy he was battling in the corner with and he was left wide open to score into what must have looked like the grand canyon.

He did mix it in the 3rd and ended up getting a roughing, he's shown he's not shy despite lacking mass and strength to his frame. He kind of has the Evans frame from when he was the same age but where as Evans had average skating/speed at best at 18, Smith has elite skating.

The good news is that he's on the top line and top PP plus the PK so he's going to get a lot of TOI it looks like.

The bad news is his team so far hasn't been very impressive but they were facing their rivals from what the play by play said. So far in 2 games Smith's line has 4 pts, the rest of the team has 3 pts. His 2 linemates, one is an overager and neither have college commits yet so that's not a good sign.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Reactions: Plekatorz

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Gorniak may be one of the most energetic players I've watched... ever. It's just a shame that apart from a bit of speed he has literally nothing else. Fumbles pucks constantly.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
I can believe that. Especially with some of the passes he makes... I'd be frustrated too if my teammates did the Plekanec special every damn time (shot right in the goalie crest).
Well, IMO that's not exactly an optimal attitude as he still has a LOT of things to learn, even in the Liiga. He's not exactly Wayne Gretzky out there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Prospects in action today (bolded are games where prospects face each other):

Europe
11:00: Gordin (SKA-1946) vs. MHC Spartak
11:30: Ylonen (Pelicans) vs. SaiPa
11:30: Kotkaniemi (Assat) vs. Leskinen (KalPa)
12:00: Mysak (Litvinov) vs. Liberec
13:00: Vejdemo (Soderltaje) vs. Vasteras

North America
7PM ET: Caufield & Gorniak (Wisconsin) vs. Michigan
8PM ET: Farrell (Chicago) vs. Green Bay
8PM ET: Smith (Sioux Falls) vs. Dobes (Omaha)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Prospects in action today (bolded are games where prospects face each other):

Europe
11:00: Gordin (SKA-1946) vs. MHC Spartak
11:30: Ylonen (Pelicans) vs. SaiPa
11:30: Kotkaniemi (Assat) vs. Leskinen (KalPa)
12:00: Mysak (Litvinov) vs. Liberec
13:00: Vejdemo (Soderltaje) vs. Vasteras

North America
7PM ET: Caufield & Gorniak (Wisconsin) vs. Michigan
8PM ET: Farrell (Chicago) vs. Green Bay
8PM ET: Smith (Sioux Falls) vs. Dobes (Omaha)

Leskinen isn't listed on the roster, must have gotten injured last game. Too bad both of Pitlick's games were canceled, but I plan on flipping back and forth between Caufield and Smith/Dobes

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
flipping back and forth between Gordin and Mysak, both very boring games as Gordin's was 0-0 into the SO and Mysak's I'm way behind as I keep pausing it but there's no goals yet. Mysak did line up at center for 4 on 4 play at least but so far hasn't had much ice.

Nothing to see but I uploaded it anyway,

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I like Cole so far, intercepted a pass in the defensive zone, looks more inolved in the play, skates better, more positionally sound ect...

Im impressed with the pace of both teams...

Edit: My god Michigan looks stacked this year... York, Power, Beniers, Beecher, Brisson, Bordeleau to name few...

Last edited:
Reactions: kevsavard95

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched Jack Smith vs Dobes, Smith played well, set up the 2nd goal on the PP off a nice pass. He had a couple nice passes but with his shot I would like to see him use it more.

Dobes played well, first goal was a mad scramble for the puck, then he lost track of it and then was trying to get set when the puck was shot. The 2nd goal was on the PP and he couldn't get over quick enough as he didn't know if Smith would shoot or pas. The 3rd was a defensive breakdown late in the game. He stopped 25 of 28.

Clearly he's no Price as twice he came up swinging at players for bumping into him and I know I saw him do that once before.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Looks like Dichow's gotten off to a good start in Denmark

upload_2020-11-22_2-13-36.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad