B-Sens 2020-2021 Belleville Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
They will be somewhat competitive. When they went to Laval for those 4 games they hadn't run any full practice sessions with their entire roster - just skill development drills, small space drills and video sessions. They need systems work and line rushes to tighten up their neutral zone and defensive zone, but they are still going to be limited by lack of talent. They lost 7 of their top 10 scoring players from last season and weren't able to backfill with top prospects.

We're not f***ed if guys like Kastelic, Reinhardt, Abramov, Davidsson, Aspirot, etc. don't become NHL players. Very little changes in that scenario. We're f***ed if Sanderson, Stützle and our 2021 1st rounder don't become high-end NHL players at their positions, and if Greig, Pinto, JBD, Brannstrom and Formenton don't provide some quality depth to augment what we already have.

I think you're too focused on how some of these players were acquired, and not nearly enough on whether they're actually good.

When I see a guy like Lassi Thomson I see somebody that the Senators reached to take 19th overall and hasn't exactly been on an upward trajectory since. Troy Mann said his goal is to get him to a place where he can get a cup of coffee in the NHL in early 2023 - when you hear something like that it should be very clear that he's viewed as a long-term project and not being counted on as key component of future Ottawa Senators teams. So what does it matter that we got him in the Matt Duchene trade? The same is true for Abramov who is probably a coinflip to be an NHL player and for Davidsson who has no chance whatsoever.

I think Formenton and Greig are likely NHL players. If we get 1 or 2 more out of the rest of that group I think that's fairly reasonable.

I don't see often his name mentioned but Abramov? How was he on the AHL games?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't see often his name mentioned but Abramov? How was he on the AHL games?

Not exceptional, but nobody really was. I'm not passing judgment on anybody down there on what happened in those first 4 games.

I'm always skeptical about how guys like Abramov will transition. He's a smaller, stocky guy who isn't a burner and does a lot of his best work in tight to the net. This is an important year for him.

One thing to consider is that there is a pretty good chance that he's Seattle's selection from us in the expansion draft.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Not exceptional, but nobody really was. I'm not passing judgment on anybody down there on what happened in those first 4 games.

I'm always skeptical about how guys like Abramov will transition. He's a smaller, stocky guy who isn't a burner and does a lot of his best work in tight to the net. This is an important year for him.

One thing to consider is that there is a pretty good chance that he's Seattle's selection from us in the expansion draft.
You think Abramov is going to play 27 of our remaining 36 games to be eligible to be exposed?

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
You think Abramov is going to play 27 of our remaining 36 games to be eligible to be exposed?

That's not how it works.

The games played requirement is not for exposure eligibility, it's to ensure that Seattle get quality players. Every team has to expose 2 forwards and 1 defenseman that have played a minimum number of NHL games; either 27 this season or 54 over the past two.

The only exemptions are first and second year professionals. Abramov is a third year pro which means unless he's protected [he won't be] he's eligible for selection.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That's not how it works.

The games played requirement is not for exposure eligibility, it's to ensure that Seattle get quality players. Every team has to expose 2 forwards and 1 defenseman that have played a minimum number of NHL games; either 27 this season or 54 over the past two.

The only exemptions are first and second year professionals. Abramov is a third year pro which means unless he's protected [he won't be] he's eligible for selection.
Ok. Abramov would be a good selection. I think he's definitely a NHL player. I think they're more likely to take one of our goalies but I guess we'll see. Would much rather pay them to take Zaitsev.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
It would nice if Abramov became a Dadonov type, because they are both undersized and play a similar game. That said, most guys that look and play like Dadonov don't make the NHL.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Ok. Abramov would be a good selection. I think he's definitely a NHL player. I think they're more likely to take one of our goalies but I guess we'll see. Would much rather pay them to take Zaitsev.

If the Senators protect the players I expect them to protect, Abramov is probably the best asset we leave exposed. He'd be my pick if I were running Seattle.

I'm not sure if our goalies will get a look. There will be better young goalies available - guys like Driedger, Berdin, Vanecek/Samsonov, Ingram, and Kivlenieks are all probably out there. That would be a low impact area for us though - we can definitely afford to lose a goalie prospect.

If Wolanin is still in the organization - unlikely IMO - he could be a potential pick for Seattle as well.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
They will be somewhat competitive. When they went to Laval for those 4 games they hadn't run any full practice sessions with their entire roster - just skill development drills, small space drills and video sessions. They need systems work and line rushes to tighten up their neutral zone and defensive zone, but they are still going to be limited by lack of talent. They lost 7 of their top 10 scoring players from last season and weren't able to backfill with top prospects.
Did Laval have any full practice sessions? They would prob be rusty too.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He can be selected if not protected. Anyone that is in their 3rd pro season can be selected if not protected. In addition each team needs to ensure 2 forwards 1 D and 1 Goalie who meet NHL game requirements and has a contract for 2021/22 needs to be left unprotected.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If the Senators protect the players I expect them to protect, Abramov is probably the best asset we leave exposed. He'd be my pick if I were running Seattle.

I'm not sure if our goalies will get a look. There will be better young goalies available - guys like Driedger, Berdin, Vanecek/Samsonov, Ingram, and Kivlenieks are all probably out there. That would be a low impact area for us though - we can definitely afford to lose a goalie prospect.

If Wolanin is still in the organization - unlikely IMO - he could be a potential pick for Seattle as well.
I think Chris Tierney is the pick.
Mtl - Jake Allen
TO - Justin Holl
Cal - Chris Taney
Edm - Caleb Jones
Win - Logan Stanley
Van - Tyler Motte
Are my guesses

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
I think Chris Tierney is the pick.
Mtl - Jake Allen
TO - Justin Holl
Cal - Chris Taney
Edm - Caleb Jones
Win - Logan Stanley
Van - Tyler Motte
Are my guesses

Who are you protecting instead of Tierney?

Tkachuk, Batherson, White, Dadonov, Paul, Brown, Tierney seems like the group right now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Tkachuk, Batherson, White, Dadonov, Paul, Brown, Tierney seems like the group right now.
My guess would be Brown, the protection list really depends on how L.Brown performs once he gets called up.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

We have to expose 2 players that meet certain criteria. As of today we have 6 options
Daddy
White
Paul
C Brown
Watson
Tierney

To me the obvious 2 are Watson and Tierney.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
We have to expose 2 players that meet certain criteria. As of today we have 6 options
Daddy
White
Paul
C Brown
Watson
Tierney

To me the obvious 2 are Watson and Tierney.

Yeah, I know about the exposure criteria and I've been curious what their plan is on this front. Watson is an obvious one, but I've been wondering if they might try to extend Dzingel for a year to serve as the second forward.

I don't love the idea of exposing Tierney when we're already so weak at C.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
So in your eyes it is acceptable to neglect our farm team during a rebuild to save fractions of what guys like Josh Brown, Derek Stepan, Brayden Coburn and Erik Gudbranson are making? You don't think that money could be saved elsewhere with some proper management?
Sure it can, but we can't afford the proper management either lol. Our team is as no frills as they come. PD isn't great, he may not even be good, we just have no resources (no money, no human capital) to help him create a respectable organization from the AHL and up.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Potential Protected Players:
7 forwards: Tkachuk, Batherson, C. Brown, White, Paul, Dadonov, Tierny
3 Defencemen - Chabot, Wolanin, Zaitsev
1 Goalie - Murray

Potential Unprotected Players:

1. M. Hogberg - before Murray I would have protected Hogberg after last yr, but not now.
2. J. Brown - not sure why Seattle would want him, but they might need at least one big, tough D.
3. F. Chlapik - given he is a bubble player on this team, I doubt he is protected or selected.
4. V. Abramov - might be a decent depth player, but I would definitely leave him unprotected.
5. A. Watson - of this group he's probably the best bet to be taken.

- I doubt any of the UFAs are re-signed let alone protected & would hope that we traded most of them before the TDL to at least get something for any of them that might have some value for a playoff team. Half of them will most likely not be able to trade & finish the season here & then should be gone.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Potential Protected Players:
7 forwards: Tkachuk, C. Brown, White, Paul, Dadonov, Tierny, Watson
3 Defencemen - Chabot, Wolanin, Zaitsev
1 Goalie - Murray

Potential Unprotected Players:

1. M. Hogberg - before Murray I would have protected Hogberg after last yr, but not now.
2. J. Brown - not sure why Seattle would want him, but they might need at least one big, tough D.
3. F. Chlapik - given he is a bubble player on this team, I doubt he is protected or selected.
4. V. Abramov - might be a decent depth player, but I would definitely leave him unprotected.

- I doubt any of the UFAs are re-signed let alone protected & would hope that we traded most of them before the TDL to at least get something for any of them that might have some value for a playoff team. Half of them will most likely not be able to trade & finish the season here & then should be gone.

You're protecting Watson instead of Drake Batherson?

:(

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You're protecting Watson instead of Drake Batherson?

:(
Cap Friendly has Batherson as waivers exempt with 3 yrs played & 4 are needed & 62 games played & 147 are needed & there are only 56 games this season & he's only played 19 so far. Am I missing something, is Capfriendly incorrect or am I reading that wrong?

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Cap Friendly has Batherson as waivers exempt with 3 yrs played & 4 are needed & 62 games played & 147 are needed & there are only 56 games this season & he's only played 19 so far. Am I missing something, is Capfriendly incorrect or am I reading that wrong?

Expansion rules are different from waivers.

The only players that are exempt from the expansion draft are first and second year professionals. Batherson is a third year pro and requires protection as a result.

Our notable exemptions include Norris, Stützle, Brannstrom, Zub and Formenton.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Expansion rules are different from waivers.

The only players that are exempt from the expansion draft are first and second year professionals. Batherson is a third year pro and requires protection as a result.

Our notable exemptions include Norris, Stützle, Brannstrom, Zub and Formenton.
you are right, my mistake for some reason I thought it included expansion. Clearly Batherson should be protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->