B-Sens 2020-2021 Belleville Senators - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Gus isn't (or shouldn't) start in Belleville.
They signed Forsberg for another yr, it's better that Gus gets quality starts there then sit on the bench here. And it's only until the trade deadline & they will likely move out Forsberg & call Gus up.

Reactions: Cosmix

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
They signed Forsberg for another yr, it's better that Gus gets quality starts there then sit on the bench here. And it's only until the trade deadline & they will likely move out Forsberg & call Gus up.

Forsberg should be the third stringer. Covid will still be a factor is my guess.
Belleville has plenty of solid options with Soogard and Mando.

Reactions: Emrasie

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Forsberg should be the third stringer. Covid will still be a factor is my guess.
Belleville has plenty of solid options with Soogard and Mando.
I doubt Forsberg signed here to be a 3rd stringer or play in the AHL, he's a 28 yrs old vet that has played a number of NHL games & he was brought in last yr to be the backup. Gus is young, it won't hurt his development & as I said before it's better for his development to play in Belleville as the #1 goalie then sit on the bench in Ottawa most nights watching. I expect him to be the backup to end the season after the TDL.

Reactions: Cosmix

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I doubt Forsberg signed here to be a 3rd stringer or play in the AHL, he's a 28 yrs old vet that has played a number of NHL games & he was brought in last yr to be the backup. Gus is young, it won't hurt his development & as I said before it's better for his development to play in Belleville as the #1 goalie then sit on the bench in Ottawa most nights watching. I expect him to be the backup to end the season after the TDL.

Agree to disagree.
With the way the goalie market is, Forsberg should be happy he has a contract. He was being passed around on waivers for quite some time. It would be counterproductive if you send down Gus who, down the stretch of last season, was standing on his head.
I'd like to see him and Murray split the season 60/40

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He stands up in there doesn't he & seems to have hands of stone.
He can throw with and has power in both hands. I think he would benefit from putting on some muscle mass though. Think of how successful Yablonski was and he had a very stocky frame. Yabo was listed at 6'1 and 245 lbs. Goulbourne is listed at 5'11 195 lbs. If Gourlbourne could get up to 215 to 220 lbs it might help him get a better look in the NHL. It could allow him the ability to throw bigger hits, to out muscle opponents for puck battles and to handle the grappling against real heavyweights better. He should be a fun addition to Belleville though and maybe he gets some looks in Ottawa during preseason.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He can throw with and has power in both hands. I think he would benefit from putting on some muscle mass though. Think of how successful Yablonski was and he had a very stocky frame. Yabo was listed at 6'1 and 245 lbs. Goulbourne is listed at 5'11 195 lbs. If Gourlbourne could get up to 215 to 220 lbs it might help him get a better look in the NHL. It could allow him the ability to throw bigger hits, to out muscle opponents for puck battles and to handle the grappling against real heavyweights better. He should be a fun addition to Belleville though and maybe he gets some looks in Ottawa during preseason.
Domi had pretty hard hands too & a bowling ball for a head, I met him at the Sens plex once, he's also very wide in the shoulders, just a very solid wide tough guy. I have a relative Barry Boughner who played for the California Golden Seals, (remember them), and he is a slightly bigger & more scary version of Domi/Yablonski.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Domi had pretty hard hands too & a bowling ball for a head, I met him at the Sens plex once, he's also very wide in the shoulders, just a very solid wide tough guy. I have a relative Barry Boughner who played for the California Golden Seals, (remember them), and he is a slightly bigger & more scary version of Domi/Yablonski.
Yeah I am just trying to figure out what is holding Goulbourne back from getting more of a look in the NHL. He was on NHL 2 way contracts until this offseason where now he has signed an AHL 1 way deal. His production hasn't been great but it seems to have taken a step back once he left the Flyers organization.

Yablonski was a year older when he joined Belleville and he was coming from the ECHL the previous season. He earned himself that 2 way contract after his first contract was up and looked like he was going to get a look in Ottawa. I think him losing to Eric Neilson in that preseason game and then the emergence of Matt Carkner kind of made it hard for him to earn a spot. His production took a step back that season and then he got some injuries.

My understanding was that things between him and the Sens management kind of soured at that point. At least that is what Tim Murray said when I asked him. I would assume that Yabo thought he was promised more of a chance in the NHL or something and the Sens thought his performance wasn't enough to earn it, or maybe it was something else. Yabo left the organization to the Islanders the following season. The Sens signed Francis Lessard who ended up getting 24 games in Ottawa that season.

The point I am going for is that Goulbourne seems like a physical player who can really fight. The fighting is a big part of the value he brings to an organization. Typically organizations prefer players that are capable heavyweights as they can take on the toughest players in the league and bring an intimidation factor given how imposing they are. Goulbourne doesn't have the height but he does have the fighting ability and he could add a bit more size (weight). Maybe he could be like what Yabo was for the BSens or a guy like Tie Domi or maybe even like Chris Neil or Shawn Thornton where he is a really stocky guy who can play that role and take on all comers. Maybe if he adds that size and strength maybe it helps him get to that next level.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah I am just trying to figure out what is holding Goulbourne back from getting more of a look in the NHL. He was on NHL 2 way contracts until this offseason where now he has signed an AHL 1 way deal. His production hasn't been great but it seems to have taken a step back once he left the Flyers organization.

Yablonski was a year older when he joined Belleville and he was coming from the ECHL the previous season. He earned himself that 2 way contract after his first contract was up and looked like he was going to get a look in Ottawa. I think him losing to Eric Neilson in that preseason game and then the emergence of Matt Carkner kind of made it hard for him to earn a spot. His production took a step back that season and then he got some injuries.

My understanding was that things between him and the Sens management kind of soured at that point. At least that is what Tim Murray said when I asked him. I would assume that Yabo thought he was promised more of a chance in the NHL or something and the Sens thought his performance wasn't enough to earn it, or maybe it was something else. Yabo left the organization to the Islanders the following season. The Sens signed Francis Lessard who ended up getting 24 games in Ottawa that season.

The point I am going for is that Goulbourne seems like a physical player who can really fight. The fighting is a big part of the value he brings to an organization. Typically organizations prefer players that are capable heavyweights as they can take on the toughest players in the league and bring an intimidation factor given how imposing they are. Goulbourne doesn't have the height but he does have the fighting ability and he could add a bit more size (weight). Maybe he could be like what Yabo was for the BSens or a guy like Tie Domi or maybe even like Chris Neil or Shawn Thornton where he is a really stocky guy who can play that role and take on all comers. Maybe if he adds that size and strength maybe it helps him get to that next level.

Being an enforcer is the toughest job in hockey & Ottawa has had a few good ones over the yrs in McGratton & Neil who lasted a while at the NHL level. Should I have also added Emery there? :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->