2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ugh Forsling looks pretty damn good. *sighes heavily*
I give it up to Q for picking him up. He coached him back in Chicago. Otherwise, who knows if he gets another shot if he cleared waivers from Carolina at the beginning of the season? Probably on their taxi squad this year. Canes were going to give their own pick Bean a chance over Forsling.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Tampa achilles heel would be the stupid acquisition of David Savard, mistake prone player. He's the Columbus Alex Edler, always screws up.

will backfire on them

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Thats fair, but I will say I prefer the bubble from last year to say, what the Penguins had today where the building was clearly half empty, and it had the atmosphere of blue jackets vs ducks in january on a tuesday

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If the Panthers let Barkov hit free agency next summer there will be 31 teams willing to sign him to whatever he wants.

Amazing that when people start watching other teams during playoffs they realize how far away the Canucks are....

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Florida took like 4 years to undone the damage by Tallon the dinosaur.
Look at where there at right now.

Drafting good doesn’t bring you anywhere if your GM can’t build for shit

edit: whoops looks like tallon was fired last year,
I stand by my point still

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the Panthers let Barkov hit free agency next summer there will be 31 teams willing to sign him to whatever he wants.

Amazing when people start watching other teams during playoffs that they realize how far away the Canucks are.
Barkov, I truly believes wants to stay.

I look at it as an outsider as he should see something from the club that shows that they can have on ice team success before committing to them. The removal of Tallon and hiring of Q was a start. Florida over the past years has been up and down with their commitment to the payroll. They sometimes bail on the commitment if it doesn't bear fruit right away.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC

edit: whoops looks like tallon was fired last year,
Zito went in and used phenomenal pro scouting to clean up, and fill out the roster to assist the Panthers top picks that Tallon brought in like Huberdeau, Ekblad, and Barkov

Sounds like a familiar situation that could use a great pro scouting GM with a good vision

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Barkov, I truly believes wants to stay.

I look at it as an outsider as he should see something from the club that shows that they can have on ice team success before committing to them. The removal of Tallon and hiring of Q was a start. Florida over the past years has been up and down with their commitment to the payroll. They sometimes bail on the commitment if it doesn't bear fruit right away.

Watched a lot of Flordia games this year and they reminded me a bit of Vegas year 1. Just having so much fun. Every time the camera guy paneled to Barkov he was smiling.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I mean, essentially they rebuilt this roster over a single offseason/season:

-Ditched Matheson for Hornqvist
-Duclair, Verhaege, Forsling, Wenneberg, Gudas, Lomberg for cheap. $8.9MM for 2 top 6 forwards, top 9 centre, top 4D, bottom pair D, and 4th line grinder.
-Didn't end up trading Weegar and instead fit him in for 3 x 3.25
-Picked up Bennet for 2nd and prospect and has been a perfect fit

And they are playing this well even without Ekblad, and with a $10MM mediocre starting goalie.

Certainly helps that they have a very good coach of course but Zito has really made his mark quickly and would have been right in saying "I can turn this around in a hurry", something that gives many of us PTSD.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
7 minutes to go in regulation and still 0-0.
Interesting to see Dumba right up there with Brodin in minutes played given all of the threads about him in trade or him being expendable for the ED.
Dumba plays like Myers. Smaller and a better one timer but very similiar. Minny is the same team plus a star Russian that the Canucks beat last year. Ah Talbot also is an upgrade.

Great start to playoffs but comments that Canucks are miles away are misguided. Florida and Minny show a couple players make a huge difference. Even the Canucks are only down a couple important players from last years tem. Tanev and Markstrom. As Toffoli barely played. Forsling looks great. Canuck's 2014 draft would have been great with some patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad