2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I don't see how in BC would buy the club. Toronto is owned by a big corporation. Montreal by the Molson family, backed by a few big corporate partners. Winnipeg is owned by the richest family in Canada.

So, if it is not a big corporation, there are not many options for a single owner. Talking over $1 billion USD for both the Canucks and Rogers Arena. At a minimum, you're needing someone with a net worth of around $2.5 Billion CAD.

Can say a New Owner is needed, but there are limited options available.
Gotta hope some Faceless huge corporate conglomerate sees that the canucks are probably undervalued right now and makes the Familia an offer they can’t refuse. I’m not sure Chinese markets are stable enough for a Chinese owned company to make a bid right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gotta hope some Faceless huge corporate conglomerate sees that the canucks are probably undervalued right now and makes the Familia an offer they can’t refuse. I’m not sure Chinese markets are stable enough for a Chinese owned company to make a bid right now.
NHL isn't known for their due diligence in vetting new potential owners, but I can't envision that the NHL would be jumping for joy at the prospects of an offshore owner in China. I would expect them to say no to that.

The wealthiest people in BC are who? 90 something Jimmy Pattison? Then you're really looking at who he would leave the team to given his advanced age. Chip Wilson of LuluLemon? He's a businessman looking for good returns. Unless it's a dream of his, it wouldn't fit his money making investments.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The owners are perfectly happy to accept 6-8 playoff seed as the high point.
I've been very curious over the past few seasons where the team spent to the cap with front loaded contracts, what the bottom line has been for the Canucks. They spent money hoping to make playoff money, but that didn't pan out.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would hire Julien in a heartbeat. Guy has won everywhere and he coaches a good system. He and Benning have a history too.

Would be a huge upgrade on our current group.
Green gets paid a lot less than Julien. Will Frank the Tank pay for quality right now?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
NHL isn't known for their due diligence in vetting new potential owners, but I can't envision that the NHL would be jumping for joy at the prospects of an offshore owner in China. I would expect them to say no to that.

The wealthiest people in BC are who? 90 something Jimmy Pattison? Then you're really looking at who he would leave the team to given his advanced age. Chip Wilson of LuluLemon? He's a businessman looking for good returns. Unless it's a dream of his, it wouldn't fit his money making investments.

Kerfoot?

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

If Chip Wilson becomes owner we will be crying for the good old days with Frank the Tank.

the NHL seems very interested in entering the Chinese market- and they are losing ground to the nba in China every day. I would be very surprised to see the nhl turn away money From corporate china.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
If Chip Wilson becomes owner we will be crying for the good old days with Frank the Tank.

the NHL seems very interested in entering the Chinese market- and they are losing ground to the nba in China every day. I would be very surprised to see the nhl turn away money From corporate china.

I can only imagine the uproar if/when that happens.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Bell could buy the Canucks, but they’d probably fire the play by play team, cancel the radio deal, and tweet out scores with a mindfulness quote at the bottom.
Bell seems to be bailing out of the sports world

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Given what he spends on the Whitecaps, is he a good option? What is his net worth? Canucks would cost around $800 mill USD, plus only makes sense to buy Rogers Arena for another $300 mill USD for the land value. Have to have enough assets to finance that kind of purchase with some debt.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Very surprised to hear that Habs Julien and assistant Muller were fired..Makes me think that it might be something deeper than the actual results..The team isnt out of it by any means.

Julien sure has the Canucks number..I would like to see what his all time record is against us.

I dont know if he would be the right coach here.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I would hire Julien in a heartbeat. Guy has won everywhere and he coaches a good system. He and Benning have a history too.

Would be a huge upgrade on our current group.
I don't know, after the 2011 series and the subsequent Nucks-Bruins bad blood, I don't think I'll be able to accept him as our coach. That's just me though, and I'm sure he'll be an improvement over what we currently have.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Only reason I don’t want julien over TG right now is that Julien could make us look like our crap record was all Travis green and not the actual team assembled which would give benning another lifeline

Reactions: Luckylarry

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
CJ There’s a proven asset, I would hire him in a f***ing second if GG goes to the habs

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Gallant and julien both available,
AND a lot of available gm candidates too.

Too bad aquaman doesn’t give a shit

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I'm f***ing done bringing in guys who beat us in the finals to turn this team around, don't care how talented they are. Messier, Keenan, Benning, all disasters. f*** Julien.
It was a decade ago. I think it's time we move on. Julien is 100% qualified to be the Canucks head coach and should 100% be in the consideration.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gallant and julien both available,
AND a lot of available gm candidates too.

Too bad aquaman doesn’t give a shit
You have to fire the GM now and hire the permanent one first before any qualified Coach would even accept the job. No one with that kind of resume would join the team with JB on the hot seat and a new GM coming in.

Gallant used to work for Montreal under Bergevin. Is Bergevin safe enough in Montreal for Gallant to accept the coaching job with them? Bergevin has been there coming up on 9 seasons now as GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->