2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Calgary plays Ottawa 5 of their next 6 and 7 of their next 14.

Ottawa must be licking their lips. Lol
255.gif

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Things have generally been bad this year but at least we aren't close to Sabre lands dysfunction and bleakness.

Curtis Lazer has more goals then both Hall and Eichel and Skinner is getting 9M to sit in a pressbox

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen a team's long-term cap situation be as f***ed up as San Jose's before.
Jones has been bad. They signed him a full year before his last contract expires and it but them.
Burns and Vlasic always knew that those deals would hurt in the second half of the term.
Karlsson, we are all shocked how much he has fallen off.

Reactions: geebaan

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't think I've ever seen a team's long-term cap situation be as f***ed up as San Jose's before.

They are going to be crap for a long time unless some of those players need up on LTIR. Will have 30 million wrapped up in Burns, Karlson and Vlasic.

GMs just don’t learn. Most players peak in their late twenties. Some players will have a steep decline in their early 30’s.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They are going to be crap for a long time unless some of those players need up on LTIR. Will have 30 million wrapped up in Burns, Karlson and Vlasic.

GMs just don’t learn. Most players peak in their late twenties. Some players will have a steep decline in their early 30’s.
Only a handful of players can play well into and past their mid 30’s.

2003 draft you have Bergeron with Weber, Suter then you get to Getzlaf.

but plenty of guys like Eriksson, Backes, Carter, Perry etc have fallen off before they hit 33.

to me that’s kind of the magic age to cut off at.

Horvat is ufa at 28. Max term takes him to 36. I would be wary of giving him more than 6 years.

but fully understand leverage from the player POV as it’s better for them to get signed til 36 than hit the market at 34 again.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Im still a firm believer, that Vegas wins the cup in their 2nd year if Pavelski doesn't fall on his own head.

Refs legit made up a call after the fact, because the stretcher came out and crowd was booing.

Reason # ten thousand SJ can suck it forever.

Reactions: geebaan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Luke Schenn on waivers. Don't quite know the cap implications here but I would give him a look at 800K this year to play with QH. Seems very low risk

Tampa Bay Lightning place D Luke Schenn on waivers - TSN.ca
When you move a player to the Taxi Squad, it's like demoting them to the A, so you can save upwards of $1.075 mill against the cap, so if you moved Hamonic to the taxi (he would need to clear waivers first), then you actually save on the cap taking on Schenn at $800K.

Rather take him on and then send Rathbone down to the A if he is still around the team. Kid needs to play. If they have already done that, then send someone like Brisebois down.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
When you move a player to the Taxi Squad, it's like demoting them to the A, so you can save upwards of $1.075 mill against the cap, so if you moved Hamonic to the taxi (he would need to clear waivers first), then you actually save on the cap taking on Schenn at $800K.

Rather take him on and then send Rathbone down to the A if he is still around the team. Kid needs to play. If they have already done that, then send someone like Brisebois down.
Hamonic has a no movement clause.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Only a handful of players can play well into and past their mid 30’s.

2003 draft you have Bergeron with Weber, Suter then you get to Getzlaf.

but plenty of guys like Eriksson, Backes, Carter, Perry etc have fallen off before they hit 33.

to me that’s kind of the magic age to cut off at.

Horvat is ufa at 28. Max term takes him to 36. I would be wary of giving him more than 6 years.

but fully understand leverage from the player POV as it’s better for them to get signed til 36 than hit the market at 34 again.
I agree. Teams should be trading their players earlier. The value you get for trading a 26-27 year old with two years of term on their contract is generally highly disproportional to what they're going to provide on their next contract.

I think that a potato GM that stubbornly and without exception followed 3 rules : never trade away picks, never sign anyone the first week of free agency, and trade away players that are 1-2 years before UFA unless you're firmly in a playoff position would be a top 10 GM in the league. GM's that don't follow these rules are generally unsuccessful unless they already have contenders that they're trying to push over the top, in which case doing the opposite of these 3 rules makes sense.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
DAhlin has 5 points (1+4) and is a minus 14.

I was going to respond with a post about how the other Rasmus (Ristolainen) was defying expectations and playing very well but then I read about his ongoing battle with post-COVID illness. From The Athletic:

"The Finnish defenseman described his harrowing plight to a news outlet in his homeland, Ilta-Sanomat. While exact words get lost in translation, Ristolainen has gone to bed with worries he wouldn’t wake up. His heart ached when he walked up stairs. Chest pain was a steady companion.

Ristolainen is extremely weak. Even when he sleeps for 12 hours, he arises exhausted. Though he’s gone on the ice for a skate, he’s nowhere near physically ready for a game."​

Nine Sabres came down with the virus after playing in New Jersey a couple of weeks ago. Symptoms have ranged from nothing to loss of taste to "“it felt like my heart was cracking as I walked up the stairs” (Risto).

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I was going to respond with a post about how the other Rasmus (Ristolainen) was defying expectations and playing very well but then I read about his ongoing battle with post-COVID illness. From The Athletic:

"The Finnish defenseman described his harrowing plight to a news outlet in his homeland, Ilta-Sanomat. While exact words get lost in translation, Ristolainen has gone to bed with worries he wouldn’t wake up. His heart ached when he walked up stairs. Chest pain was a steady companion.

Ristolainen is extremely weak. Even when he sleeps for 12 hours, he arises exhausted. Though he’s gone on the ice for a skate, he’s nowhere near physically ready for a game."​

Nine Sabres came down with the virus after playing in New Jersey a couple of weeks ago. Symptoms have ranged from nothing to loss of taste to "“it felt like my heart was cracking as I walked up the stairs” (Risto).
I really like Risto as a player. He gets the hardest minutes there, and still does pretty good on a crumby team.
We are so lucky to have Quinn Hughes. Our team is even crummier than the Sabres, and he still is a ppg D man. Dahlin, in a very similar circumstance, is a worse minus, and not putting up points. That’s one draft lotto it was good to lose.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I really like Risto as a player. He gets the hardest minutes there, and still does pretty good on a crumby team.
We are so lucky to have Quinn Hughes. Our team is even crummier than the Sabres, and he still is a ppg D man. Dahlin, in a very similar circumstance, is a worse minus, and not putting up points. That’s one draft lotto it was good to lose.
A lot of success in pro sports is where you land.

In the NHL, there's no financial reward for being a top pick like there is in the NFL where it's millions of guaranteed dollars difference being Barkley RB taken 2nd overall where he gets $28 mill or so guaranteed vs. a RB drafted at pick 30 like Sony Michel of NE who gets around 1/4 of that amount guaranteed. Everyone in the NHL does an ELC. You can negotiate bonuses, but those are capped. So, no benefit of being the top pick in the NHL and going to a crap team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

In the NHL, there's no financial reward for being a top pick like there is in the NFL where it's millions of guaranteed dollars difference being Barkley RB taken 2nd overall where he gets $28 mill or so guaranteed vs. a RB drafted at pick 30 like Sony Michel of NE who gets around 1/4 of that amount guaranteed. Everyone in the NHL does an ELC. You can negotiate bonuses, but those are capped. So, no benefit of being the top pick in the NHL and going to a crap team.
Can understand why some top guys ask to be traded.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Being a top or high pick in hockey though does tend to you a lot more chances than a low round pick. Look at the Sens looking at maybe extending NoGoodBranson. Granted his size also helps in that illusion.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Being a top or high pick in hockey though does tend to you a lot more chances than a low round pick. Look at the Sens looking at maybe extending NoGoodBranson. Granted his size also helps in that illusion.
I'm more saying there's no difference to be drafted in the top 3 vs 11-13 for example in the NHL lottery. Actually, likely better off in the development to be 11th vs 1st (without lottery).

A guy like Jake is going to get more opportunties as a high 1st than a Kole Lind would. Lind would have to earn his way onto a roster. If Lind made the opening day roster and performed like Jake, he'd be sent down to the A already. Teams are always more invested in their first rounders in the NHL and NFL. Looks bad on the GM and team when first rounders don't perform at least decently.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

To be fair to Dahlin, Buffalo has been the worst team at scoring goals at 5V5 and have the lowest shooting % of high danger scoring chances. He hasn't been nearly as good as his first two seasons, but a part of why his +/- is so high is that Buffalo has been shit at scoring at even strength.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

I wonder if the Sharks ownership wants to move on from DW. Significant portion of the fanbase is frustrated with Wilson but they made the playoffs for basically 16 straight years.

I’d snatch him up in a heartbeat.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if the Sharks ownership wants to move on from DW. Significant portion of the fanbase is frustrated with Wilson but they made the playoffs for basically 16 straight years.

I’d snatch him up in a heartbeat.
Wilson is a deal maker, so when your team is ready to move forward, he's a good GM to have.

Reactions: Peen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad