2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Jack Eichel has 5 even-strength points and 1 even strength goal in 17 games. Dude is mailing it in hard right now.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hockey Has a Gigantic-Goalie Problem

Great read by Ken Dryden......couldn't agree more.

Hope the league stops closing their eyes bowing to the BS lines about safety and does something about the puffed out blockers of this generation
Hot take from a 6’4” guy. Id be fine with shortening the leg pads a tiny bit, reducing the glove cheater, and cracking down on protruding trap shoulder pads. Even thinking about making the nets bigger by 6-12 inches is absolutely laughable when players use composite sticks. I could get behind making the nets wider by a posts width all the way around though

Reactions: CanuckCity

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Hope the league stops closing their eyes bowing to the BS lines about safety and does something about the puffed out blockers of this generation
Baseball stayed with wooden bats. The National League should have stayed with wooden sticks. All the guys can fire the puck now, so goalies hide behind jumbo sumo outfits. The catacombs put of the bad though, so the only thing to do is make the net two inches wider.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hot take from a 6’4” guy. Id be fine with shortening the leg pads a tiny bit, reducing the glove cheater, and cracking down on protruding trap shoulder pads. Even thinking about making the nets bigger by 6-12 inches is absolutely laughable when players use composite sticks. I could get behind making the nets wider by a posts width all the way around though
I think he's on the right track with his position. Invoking more athleticism from the goalies is a fair take.

There is a golden age of talent in the league right now but the shooters are losing the 1 v 1 battle with goalies.

Some will say that with composite sticks it's only fair. Both shooter and goalies have got tremendous advantages from weight and reactivity to equipment but his point about the puff is spot on and needs to continue to be addressed.

I agree with you. Would love to see a maximum above knee for pads vs thigh pct. which would shave off an inch or 2 from the 5 hole per side and further traction on gloves chest and pants that contour to the body

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Well, Dryden is inaccurate in a lot of his comments. (I have no idea where he is getting the 10 inch pad width from, maybe he is confusing depth with width. Whatever.)

Let's get to some meaningful specifics:

His leg pads might need to be narrower, but nothing restricted their length. If he had them manufactured longer, and left them loosely attached at the top, in butterfly position, the upper part of his pads, instead of protecting his legs, would rest horizontally on the ice—and fill the five-hole. The goalies had lost the width battle and won a bigger one. And they were not yet done.

Wrong. NHL Rule 11.2 states the following:
Each goalkeeper must wear pads that are anatomically proportional and size specific based on the individual physical characteristics of that goalkeeper. The League's Hockey Operations Department will have the complete discretion to determine the maximum height of each goalkeeper's pads based on measurements obtained by the League's Hockey Operations Department, which will include the floor to center of knee and center of knee to pelvis measurements. Each goalkeeper will be given a Limiting Distance Size based on these measurements. The Limiting Distance Size will be the sum of the floor to knee and 55% of the knee to pelvis measurements plus a four inch (4") allowance for the height of the skate. The Limiting Distance Size is a vertical measurement from the playing surface and will be measured with the Limiting Distance Gauge. Any pads deemed too large for a goalkeeper will be considered illegal equipment for that goalkeeper, regardless of whether or not they would have fallen within previous equipment maximums.

Let's consider Dryden's comment about the chesty:
Why did his torso pad reach so far forward and hang beneath his belly? Why was it so loose? Think of a balloon. When it’s suddenly constrained from moving in one direction, it expands in another. As Vasilevskiy’s body went down in butterfly position, the bottom of his torso pad hit up against his pants, forcing it forward to offer a pillowy cushion to suck up any rebound from a puck hitting his chest, but also ballooning it upward and outward … toward the top corners.

Well, NHL Rule 11.3 finishes with the following:
If, when the goalkeeper assumes his normal crouch position, the shoulder and/or shoulder cap protection is pushed above the contour of the shoulder, the chest pad will be considered illegal.

Now, it may be that Vasy's chesty is legal in the crouch position, and then raises the shoulder cap protection when down in butterfly. If that is the case, then rule 11.3 could easily be amended to include the wording "or in the normal butterfly positon". We've been through this with Garth Snow, this is not a good argument for compromising goalie safety when a simple rule enforcement or rule amendment will do. And also not a good argument for compromising the game with a change in net size.

With regards to Dryden's other comments about goalies never getting to their feet (ie. remaining in butterfly and relying on backside pushes or RVH pushes off the post) I believe he is totally wrong. The butterfly and related equipment designed for it has been around for well over a decade, closer to two decades, and goalies are still taught to get on their feet when the puck is more than a stick length away in the pie, and in many other circumstances. Read @mossey3535 's recent posts about post integration, and staying down too long.

There was an excellent thread on the old goaliestore forum about the King, and how he played deeper in his net allowing for more time to react to shots. iirc it led to failure, and a difficult adjustment period as Lundvist had to (re?)learn to gain depth.

As far as I was following the lastest in developments a couple years ago, in addition to concepts like head trajectory and quiet eye, the other idea was "the box" (not sure what they actually call it). The idea being that (assuming that the goalie is square to the puck) there is a box in front of the goalie that the puck must pass though to hit the net. Because of angles, the further in front of the net/goalie, the smaller the box. So while goalies are taught to still get square to the puck in the shortest distance possible and then gain depth, the point is they are still taught to gain depth, and doing it on their skates is the fastest way to do that. Doing it in butterfly using backside pushes like Dryden is suggesting is slower and opens holes.

The solution is not to make the nets bigger. The solution is to make better passes in the offensive zone (think late 70's/early '80's Red Army) and get the goalie moving while down. Take a look at Miller's power play goal against STL in game 1 of last years playoff, where Tanev and Edler were on the point, they were up 4-2 and just killing time on the PP, so they moved the puck around.

Or continue to allow crappy passing in the NHL, and make nets bigger.

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Dahlin calls out the locker room in Buffalo.

I think Eichel is getting traded this summer if this keeps up, dude is checked out.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well, Dryden is inaccurate in a lot of his comments.

Let's get to some meaningful specifcs:

Wrong. NHL Rule 11.2 states the following:

Let's consider Dryden's comment about the chesty:

Well, NHL Rule 11.3 finishes with the following:

Now, it may be that Vasy's chesty is legal in the crouch position, and then raises the shoulder cap protection when down in butterfly. If that is the case, then rule 11.3 could easily be amended to include the wording "or in the normal butterfly positon".

With regards to Dryden's other comments about goalies never getting to their feet (ie. remaining in butterfly and relying on backside pushes or RVH pushes off the post) I believe he is totally wrong. The butterfly and related equipment designed for it has been around for well over a decade, closer to two decades, and goalies are still taught to get on their feet when the puck is more than a stick length away in the pie, and in many other circumstances. Read @mossey3535 's recent posts about post integration, and staying down too long.

There was an excellent thread on the old goaliestore forum about the King, and how he played deeper in his net allowing for more time to react to shots. iirc it led to failure, and a difficult adjustment period as Lundvist had to (re?)learn to gain depth.

As far as I was following the lastest in developments a couple years ago, in addition to concepts like head trajectory and quiet eye, the other idea was "the box" (not sure what they actually call it). The idea being that (assuming that the goalie is square to the puck) there is a box in front of the goalie that the puck must pass though to hit the net. Because of angles, the further in front of the net/goalie, the smaller the box. So while goalies are taught to still get square to the puck in the shortest distance possible and then gain depth, the point is they are still taught to gain depth, and doing it on their skates is the fastest way to do that. Doing it in butterfly using backside pushes like Dryden is suggesting is slower and opens holes.

The solution is not to make the nets bigger. The solution is to make better passes in the offensive zone (think late 70's/early '80's Red Army) and get the goalie moving while down. Take a look at Miller's power play goal against STL in game 1 of last years playoff, where Tanev and Edler were on the point, they were up 4-2 and just killing time on the PP, so they moved the puck around.

Or continue to allow crappy passing in the NHL, and make nets bigger.
You never said if you agree with his main point though?

You don't think alterations should be made to reduce equipment size?

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
You never said if you agree with his main point though?

You don't think alterations should be made to reduce equipment size?

His point is to either make the equipment smaller or make the nets bigger. I don't agree with either, other than to the amendment to Rule 11.3 that I have already mentioned, assuming it is even necessary.

Equipment size has been reduced. If you work with goalies, you realize that the equipment cannot be reduced to any significant extent - the pucks are coming in too hard. So for that part of his argument, it's disingenuous. The current rules are mostly sufficient - if a goalie like Vasy is doing a Garth Snow and rigging their equipment to provide blocking area beyond what the rules allow, deal with it (apply fines, give penalties/misconducts/suspensions). If those kind of shennanigans are legal, then amend the rules as I already detailed in my earlier post.

And I don't agree with making nets bigger. Improve the passing. jfc, at one Bruins training camp they were teaching the newbs not to saucer pass. There's a reason I try to get all my players to play goalie: to learn the position and to learn how to beat a goalie. It's tough to convince others, but I know for a fact it can be done.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So Florida waives Brett Connolly... unfortunately we don’t have an equivalent cap dump with two years left unless they want Beagle or Roussel lol.

He’d help our top nine. Seems like a Pearson type acquisition.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Mantha seriously underperforming this year. wondering what it'd take to get him here. When healthy he's been a high-end top 6 forward over the past 2 years.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
His point is to either make the equipment smaller or make the nets bigger. I don't agree with either, other than to the amendment to Rule 11.3 that I have already mentioned, assuming it is even necessary.

Equipment size has been reduced. If you work with goalies, you realize that the equipment cannot be reduced to any significant extent - the pucks are coming in too hard. So for that part of his argument, it's disingenuous. The current rules are mostly sufficient - if a goalie like Vasy is doing a Garth Snow and rigging their equipment to provide blocking area beyond what the rules allow, deal with it (apply fines, give penalties/misconducts/suspensions). If those kind of shennanigans are legal, then amend the rules as I already detailed in my earlier post.

And I don't agree with making nets bigger. Improve the passing. jfc, at one Bruins training camp they were teaching the newbs not to saucer pass. There's a reason I try to get all my players to play goalie: to learn the position and to learn how to beat a goalie. It's tough to convince others, but I know for a fact it can be done.
Not sure i understand this? Is it safe for players to block shots then?

Fair enough on your opinion. Can't say i agree. I'm not a fan of the marshmallow equipment

stars-bench-anton-khudobin-disciplinary-reasons.jpg

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Mantha seriously underperforming this year. wondering what it'd take to get him here. When healthy he's been a high-end top 6 forward over the past 2 years.
He's always been a lazy ass player

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Dahlin calls out the locker room in Buffalo.

I think Eichel is getting traded this summer if this keeps up, dude is checked out.

Yes watched some of that game today. They looked deflated. Awful intensity

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So Florida waives Brett Connolly... unfortunately we don’t have an equivalent cap dump with two years left unless they want Beagle or Roussel lol.

He’d help our top nine. Seems like a Pearson type acquisition.
Beagle and Roussel have one year left so that’s not a move I think the Canucks need to make. If Connolly had the same term left as Roussel or beagle then you can call about flipping contract for contract.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'd way rather watch a 3-2 game than a 7-5 game. The same tension, ebb and flow aren't there when goals are scored every 5-10 minutes. But this is related to the larger question of whether sports are supposed to meet some aesthetic standard derived from their history as seen from a certain starting point or just be entertaining. A 7-5 game is still hockey.

Reactions: Peen

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Not sure i understand this? Is it safe for players to block shots then?

Fair enough on your opinion. Can't say i agree. I'm not a fan of the marshmallow equipment

I am guessing you do not play goalie, nor do you work with goalies, nor do you live with a goalie.

For those who don't, let me explain my position as someone who sometimes plays ice hockey goalie, often works with rec and rep goalies, and lives with a goalie.

The ideal for a goalie when playing is to move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play,

You get the idea. It never ends for a goalie when the puck is in their zone. However.

The reality is that the play often (always?) moves too fast for the ideal. So the goalie has to abandon the ideal and take shortcuts to do what everyone except the goalie coach wants: stop the puck. (The goalie coach demands the ideal, under the assumption that it is the best way to stop the most pucks). We can call these shortcuts scambly.

Goalie equipment maximizes protection for the ideal – if it didn’t, no one would buy it. If a goalie is in the proper stance/position, gets hit by a puck, and was injured as a result, they would no longer user that gear as is. I’m talking real injuries, not stingers like the palm of the glove, collarbone shots, catching a shot puck-on-edge on a part of the chesty or pants that have a fold. The one exception is a direct shot to the face/forehead – although the face/forehead is ideally not casting a goalie shadow on the net (iow a shot hitting the face/forehead is going over the crossbar) it often gets hit, and realistically the amount of protection to stop such a shot from potentially injuring a goalie would make the mask too heavy and bulky too wear.

But when things get scrambly, puck aren’t hitting the areas that are ideally intended to be stopping them, they are hitting other areas, inside the knees, back of an arm, wrists etc. The padding has to be a certain size in certain dimensions to protect a goalie in that situation, and even then it doesn’t always do the job. One of my two goalies just stepped back on the ice last week after 6 weeks with a broken wrist from a shot on scramble that snuck under his glove below the arm protection of the chesty. A broken wrist. It happens. Ask your beer league goalies the number of times they’ve taken shots to the knees. Even with the knee pads, they hurt and can injure.

So based on my experience, I don’t think goalie pads should be much reduced from what the NHL has currently done with the latest round in about 2018. Not unless some kind of new technology is developed to ensure the same level of protection while scrambling. If you haven’t played ice hockey goalie and taken shots to the knee or wrist, I probably won’t discuss it with you further.

As for players, no it is not safe for them to be blocking shots. As an extreme example, Shea Weber deliberately held back on his shots because it would break players’ legs. But count the number of blocked shots a player has, to the shot clock that a goalie faces. It’s a fraction of the number. And then remember that players don’t have to make scrambly blocks nearly to the extent that a goalie is expected to (remember, everyone but the goalie coach want the goalie to stop the puck no matter what), players can make an ideal block and bail on a scrambly block and they don’t get called out (unlike a goalie who everyone except the goalie coach says their one job is to stop the puck). And if players want to add protection to block shots, they can, just like Tanev did last year.

Your comment about marshmallow gear applied to Giggy over a decade ago, after the rule changes made around 2018 I simply don’t respect that kind of view. To me, it comes from ignorance.

tl:dr: agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I'd way rather watch a 3-2 game than a 7-5 game. The same tension, ebb and flow aren't there when goals are scored every 5-10 minutes. But this is related to the larger question of whether sports are supposed to meet some aesthetic standard derived from their history as seen from a certain starting point or just be entertaining. A 7-5 game is still hockey.
I would rather watch a season worth of one - nil games If they had fans at the games and everything they bring to the games. But I am starting to get grumpy watching this team and the apathy of loosing in front of no fans.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The butterfly and related equipment designed for it has been around for well over a decade, closer to two decades, ...

Just to be clear it was invented by Glenn Hall well before Tony Esposito perfected it and Roy coupled it with his oversized equipment, but you may be specifically talking about new, special equipment for it. If you watch games from the 70's and the "stick the fat guy in net" era where you couldn't get them to come out of the net to save their life (or the game) and they at least knew their job was to stop the puck, they looked downright undersized and skinny compared to every goalie today.

Dryden in the article doesn't mention the invention of the curved stick but credits the slap shot for the push for masks (some truth to that too as some players were secretly lifting weights or finding substitutes). The idea that goalies were protecting their heads by standing up is news to me.

Stand-Up was not only considered a legitimate style it harkens back to the rule requiring all goalies to stand at all times until they eliminated the rule in the innovations of the PCHL. "Picking up pennies" is what they called anyone that went down because they were usually sticking their pads behind them - not everyone was double jointed.

Of course, there's the infamous incident of Eddie Shore tieing the legs of his goalies in practice to keep them from doing that as demonstrated in the movie The Mighty Ducks.

It's not just the oversized equipment though. Nabakov figured out that it was not only safe to let a puck fall off your chest protector to your knews, letting a rebound bounce out to the slot was plain stupid.

Defensive systems haven't gotten way better too. No longer do you simply have two lunkheads who can barely skate drift backwards and stand there waiting to crosscheck anyone who comes in front of the net and just throw up the sides past the blue line. It started with one guy at all times getting ready to clear any rebounds the goalie can't get and then more followed by fancy breakout systems first developed in the WHA/80's that would even dare to throw up the middle or cross ice in your own end. I won't mention the trap that Roger Nielsen invented. More teams, more players, and more turnover in management has brought innovation to the game.

It is true there is much more athleticism in the game. Everyone works out, you'd better know how to skate, the players are taller, heavier and they'd better be able to work with teammates in passing plays and not try to do everything themselves or just throw the puck away when the heat is on.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just to be clear it was invented by Glenn Hall well before Tony Esposito perfected it and Roy coupled it with his oversized equipment, but you may be specifically talking about new, special equipment for it. If you watch games from the 70's and the "stick the fat guy in net" era where you couldn't get them to come out of the net to save their life (or the game) and they at least knew their job was to stop the puck, they looked downright undersized and skinny compared to every goalie today.

Dryden in the article doesn't mention the invention of the curved stick but credits the slap shot for the push for masks (some truth to that too as some players were secretly lifting weights or finding substitutes). The idea that goalies were protecting their heads by standing up is news to me.

Stand-Up was not only considered a legitimate style it harkens back to the rule requiring all goalies to stand at all times until they eliminated the rule in the innovations of the PCHL. "Picking up pennies" is what they called anyone that went down because they were usually sticking their pads behind them - not everyone was double jointed.

Of course, there's the infamous incident of Eddie Shore tieing the legs of his goalies in practice to keep them from doing that as demonstrated in the movie The Mighty Ducks.

It's not just the oversized equipment though. Nabakov figured out that it was not only safe to let a puck fall off your chest protector to your knews, letting a rebound bounce out to the slot was plain stupid.

Defensive systems haven't gotten way better too. No longer do you simply have two lunkheads who can barely skate drift backwards and stand there waiting to crosscheck anyone who comes in front of the net and just throw up the sides past the blue line. It started with one guy at all times getting ready to clear any rebounds the goalie can't get and then more followed by fancy breakout systems first developed in the WHA/80's that would even dare to throw up the middle or cross ice in your own end. I won't mention the trap that Roger Nielsen invented. More teams, more players, and more turnover in management has brought innovation to the game.

It is true there is much more athleticism in the game. Everyone works out, you'd better know how to skate, the players are taller, heavier and they'd better be able to work with teammates in passing plays and not try to do everything themselves or just throw the puck away when the heat is on.

Yeah, I didn't word my post well - the butterfly in various incarnations has been around since Hall, but the leg pads specifcally designed for it started sometime either later '90's or early 'oo's is what I was trying to get at. Basically that Dryden is out to lunch when he says goalies don't need to get up. Goalies are the most forward and innovative thinking (which is why they have GAA the same despite the advent of composite sticks), and if it in any way made sense to stay down in butterfly all the time, we would have seen that innovation made by goalies over the past decade and a half. We haven't, and we won't for the reasons I mention in my post two previous. Dryden is simply off base. People want scoring to increase? The puck has to cross the royal road more, and the number one way to do that is passing.

Then we can get into one-timers, I try to work on them every single practice with the teams I coach, partly because most coaches don't spend much time on it so the kids don't have the technique they are capable of.

So Dryden wants smaller pads (injured goalies) or bigger nets (throw out the old record book). I don't support either of those.

I would like to see 1) better passing worked on at all levels 2) better one-timers worked on at all levels and 3) all players learn to play goalie to tier 4 rep level by the time they are U11, so they know how to beat a goalie when they move on to just being a player in U13 and then specializing as a F or D for u15 onward.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I am guessing you do not play goalie, nor do you work with goalies, nor do you live with a goalie.

For those who don't, let me explain my position as someone who sometimes plays ice hockey goalie, often works with rec and rep goalies, and lives with a goalie.

The ideal for a goalie when playing is to move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play, move into position (based on that read), select a save mechanic (based on the read and selection), execute the selected save mechanic (based on training), follow the puck/read the play,

You get the idea. It never ends for a goalie when the puck is in their zone. However.

The reality is that the play often (always?) moves too fast for the ideal. So the goalie has to abandon the ideal and take shortcuts to do what everyone except the goalie coach wants: stop the puck. (The goalie coach demands the ideal, under the assumption that it is the best way to stop the most pucks). We can call these shortcuts scambly.

Goalie equipment maximizes protection for the ideal – if it didn’t, no one would buy it. If a goalie is in the proper stance/position, gets hit by a puck, and was injured as a result, they would no longer user that gear as is. I’m talking real injuries, not stingers like the palm of the glove, collarbone shots, catching a shot puck-on-edge on a part of the chesty or pants that have a fold. The one exception is a direct shot to the face/forehead – although the face/forehead is ideally not casting a goalie shadow on the net (iow a shot hitting the face/forehead is going over the crossbar) it often gets hit, and realistically the amount of protection to stop such a shot from potentially injuring a goalie would make the mask too heavy and bulky too wear.

But when things get scrambly, puck aren’t hitting the areas that are ideally intended to be stopping them, they are hitting other areas, inside the knees, back of an arm, wrists etc. The padding has to be a certain size in certain dimensions to protect a goalie in that situation, and even then it doesn’t always do the job. One of my two goalies just stepped back on the ice last week after 6 weeks with a broken wrist from a shot on scramble that snuck under his glove below the arm protection of the chesty. A broken wrist. It happens. Ask your beer league goalies the number of times they’ve taken shots to the knees. Even with the knee pads, they hurt and can injure.

So based on my experience, I don’t think goalie pads should be much reduced from what the NHL has currently done with the latest round in about 2018. Not unless some kind of new technology is developed to ensure the same level of protection while scrambling. If you haven’t played ice hockey goalie and taken shots to the knee or wrist, I probably won’t discuss it with you further.

As for players, no it is not safe for them to be blocking shots. As an extreme example, Shea Weber deliberately held back on his shots because it would break players’ legs. But count the number of blocked shots a player has, to the shot clock that a goalie faces. It’s a fraction of the number. And then remember that players don’t have to make scrambly blocks nearly to the extent that a goalie is expected to (remember, everyone but the goalie coach want the goalie to stop the puck no matter what), players can make an ideal block and bail on a scrambly block and they don’t get called out (unlike a goalie who everyone except the goalie coach says their one job is to stop the puck). And if players want to add protection to block shots, they can, just like Tanev did last year.

Your comment about marshmallow gear applied to Giggy over a decade ago, after the rule changes made around 2018 I simply don’t respect that kind of view. To me, it comes from ignorance.

tl:dr: agree to disagree. I don't respect your opinion on this. If you back your opinion up with facts and reasoning using logic, I would reconsider.
Well i don't play goalie and don't live with one but have a few friends who are and work with a few also. Anyway i'm sure you meant coaching them which i don't.

Don't respect my opinion....that's fine here are takes from pro goalies working with the NHL

Hirsch explains how to fix the problem with goalie equipment - Sportsnet.ca

As far as your take on goalies getting hurt. It's a contact sport? Hitting fighting tripping crosschecking slashing high sticking blocking shots and getting hit by shots. All the abuse shouldn't just apply to skaters.

I wonder how Luongo's body felt post 2011 as compared to his teammates?

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
In an alternate world with a bit if cap space, would it be totally crazy to think that Connolly would help our depth up front? Could've been the type of top 9 forward Benning's been looking forward... :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad