2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Do San Jose and St. Louis even know what D is. It's 7-6 so far.
I thought I followed hockey until I saw the roster for both teams and didn't know dozens of players in that game. They're is C- level prospects in that game.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Do San Jose and St. Louis even know what D is. It's 7-6 so far.

Was just looking to see if any of the Comets were actually playing for the Blues. Alas, no.
The Blues have 5 forwards and 1 D injured. 2 Fs and the 1 D on LTIR and the other 3 Fs on IR.
All 3 Comets forwards and the lone D-man are riding in the cab and barring any future injuries will remain there on their minor league paychecks.

The Blues have some contracts that may sour on them as time goes on just like everyone else due to the way they structure contracts:
Schenn, 28 - 8 more years
Faulk, 28 - 7 more years
Krug 29, - 7 more years
All 3 on $6.5 Mil AAV.
Schenn is front loaded, but still pays 6.5, 4.3, and 4the last 3 years at 34, 35, 36.
Krug is middle loaded, but still pays 8.5, 6.5 and 6 the last 3 years at 34, 35, 36
Faulk is front loaded, but still pays 4.75, 4.5 and 4.5 the last 3 years at 33, 34, 35

These aren't the same kind of plugs the Canucks are carrying, but still those dollars, at those ages, and the cap still flat for who knows how many of them not so good.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I thought I followed hockey until I saw the roster for both teams and didn't know dozens of players in that game. They're is C- level prospects in that game.

Look at my post above (#381). I don't know about San Jose's situation, but St. Louis has activated most of their Taxi and have refilled it with 4 Comets who were extras added to the AHL roster and a couple never, ever intended to be in St.Louis.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Was just looking to see if any of the Comets were actually playing for the Blues. Alas, no.
The Blues have 5 forwards and 1 D injured. 2 Fs and the 1 D on LTIR and the other 3 Fs on IR.
All 3 Comets forwards and the lone D-man are riding in the cab and barring any future injuries will remain there on their minor league paychecks.

The Blues have some contracts that may sour on them as time goes on just like everyone else due to the way they structure contracts:
Schenn, 28 - 8 more years
Faulk, 28 - 7 more years
Krug 29, - 7 more years
All 3 on $6.5 Mil AAV.
Schenn is front loaded, but still pays 6.5, 4.3, and 4the last 3 years at 34, 35, 36.
Krug is middle loaded, but still pays 8.5, 6.5 and 6 the last 3 years at 34, 35, 36
Faulk is front loaded, but still pays 4.75, 4.5 and 4.5 the last 3 years at 33, 34, 35

These aren't the same kind of plugs the Canucks are carrying, but still those dollars, at those ages, and the cap still flat for who knows how many of them not so good.
Nathan walker played.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Binnington has sure unravelled as a hockey player. I mean, I certainly take the Stanley Cup he helped bring to St. Louis any time - but man.

Didn't we see something similar (but to a lesser extent, no Cup obviously) with the Hamburglar in Ottawa?

AHL goalie, goes on an extended tear in which likely some team D and some bounces going your way, but the reality is the fundamentals are not necessarily their for sustained success.

The opposite of Marky, where the fundamentals were there, you could see easily correctable flaws in his game and his goalie coaching in FLA was atrocious.

That's why I supported the subterfuge of sneaking Marky through waivers in 2014 (shouldn't have had to, signing Miller was a mistake), and made a detailed post defending his play in the SJ game where he gave up 3 goals on the first 4 or so shots (conversely, largely due to poor team D and unlucky bounces).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Reminder that there’s people that cried about Cherry getting pulled off the air.

So much better with him off jesus
No argument that it was time for Cherry to retire.(he wasn't a racist).. HNIC isn't better without him though... Growing up with HNIC, and its iconic music, it was must watch TV (regardless of the teams playing.)..a Canadian tradition going back to the 1950's...which started dying a slow death in the last 5 years..

Time to scrap HNIC for good, and just go to regional broadcasts imo.

Everyone has tuned out, the intermission is as good a time to go to the fridge or bathroom...Nothing to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Get North

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It’s definitely better without him even if you ignore the shit he said not relating to hockey.

Purely from a hockey standpoint, he was out of touch with the game.

You are getting objectively better assessments of the on ice product without Cherry than with him.

Reactions: tantalum

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Come on Buffalo! You guys need to win games, and stay ahead of us!!!

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It’s definitely better without him even if you ignore the shit he said not relating to hockey.

Purely from a hockey standpoint, he was out of touch with the game.

You are getting objectively better assessments of the on ice product without Cherry than with him.

Cherry would just ramble about some bullshit from some dirt hole in Ontario. Then say ‘well he ain’t a Leaf or Bruins are tough, son’

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Buffalo is awful. Middlestadt is terrible. MOre missed high picks than Benning. Eichel is good, and gives effort without the puck, though er rest of hose guys really don’t try much, unless they are on offence. IMO Dahlin looks a lot like a young Edler, so I like him too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Come on Buffalo! You guys need to win games, and stay ahead of us!!!
People shouldn’t worry that much about other divisions. Canucks have played upwards of 5-7 more games than most of the nhl right now. Teams will catch up with those games in hand but like the Canucks to start the season those games will be packed tightly together. Most teams have close to 40 games left to play which is like half a regular season. Way too early to be wishing other teams win.

Canucks could have the 4th worst record in the nhl but so long as they are ahead of Ottawa, Calgary and Montreal they would make the playoffs.

Reactions: CanuckCity

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Buffalo is awful. Middlestadt is terrible. MOre missed high picks than Benning. Eichel is good, and gives effort without the puck, though er rest of hose guys really don’t try much, unless they are on offence. IMO Dahlin looks a lot like a young Edler, so I like him too.
Only 6.5 years left on the Skinner $9 million/year contract

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
'those people'

Yeah not a racist :laugh:

200.gif

Reactions: Upoil and kevinsane

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Ovechkin scored only his seventh goal of the season today. Guess hes finally slowing down this seasaon, too bad guess wont catch the all time goal lead by the Gretzky guy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ovechkin scored only his seventh goal of the season today. Guess hes finally slowing down this seasaon, too bad guess wont catch the all time goal lead by the Gretzky guy
Caps look, IMO, old and slow. They are done, no meed to rebuild. Love OV, and hope he gets on a team with young stars so he can get to Gretzky. He’d have to leave Washington though. Devils maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad