2020/2021 Around the League Thread | Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Cool to see Burrows behind the bench. Guys a gem

Yeah right? Great to see him succeeding. He has everything you'd want in a coach:

undrafted to being a top 2-way winger, playing on a great team, playing with HOFs, crafty, a little dirty, penalty killer, power play blasts, one-timers.

The guy has done it all. Almost.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah right? Great to see him succeeding. He has everything you'd want in a coach:

undrafted to being a top 2-way winger, playing on a great team, playing with HOFs, crafty, a little dirty, penalty killer, power play blasts, one-timers.

The guy has done it all. Almost.
Would love to see Burrows lift the cup.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Wilson getting only 2 mins for what Rome got suspended from the finals for. I will never get over that, and every equal or worse play that gets nothing just pisses me off more.

I will go to the grave with a burning hatred of the NHL head office, Eastern Media and every other fanbase (of franchises that existed in 2011) other than the Habs.

tenor.gif

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Just looked at Buffalo capfriendly.
That Skinner contract might leave Eriksson's in the dust for bad contracts. 6 years remaining after this one at $9M per. He has 1 assist in 14 games this year. In the first year of his new 8 year deal coming on the heels of a 40 goal season, he had 14g 9a in 59 games. Yikes.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
That Skinner contract might leave Eriksson's in the dust for bad contracts. 6 years remaining after this one at $9M per. He has 1 assist in 14 games this year. In the first year of his new 8 year deal coming on the heels of a 40 goal season, he had 14g 9a in 59 games. Yikes.
They effed up bad and it was obvious before the ink was dry..
CGY/EDM should try to get him retained some for lucic/neal, but 6 years is big yikes

Reactions: iceburg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seeing a lot of contracts bite teams in the rear end these days.
Can understand age/injuries but Skinner is a shock that he's doing this badly. He is not a 40 goal man on a yearly basis, closer to a 30 goal guy.

In terms of a buyout he has 1 year of a SB of $7.5 mill left. So, they could eat the contract which would suck to have that on the books for 12 more years. He will get $20 mill through this season.

Leaving $52 mill left, but with $7.5 mill in SB, thus he's at $44.5 mill that can be bought out, so that's almost $30 mill to pay over 12 years, so an average of $2.5 mill per season.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Seeing a lot of contracts bite teams in the rear end these days.
Can understand age/injuries but Skinner is a shock that he's doing this badly. He is not a 40 goal man on a yearly basis, closer to a 30 goal guy.

In terms of a buyout he has 1 year of a SB of $7.5 mill left. So, they could eat the contract which would suck to have that on the books for 12 more years. He will get $20 mill through this season.

Leaving $52 mill left, but with $7.5 mill in SB, thus he's at $44.5 mill that can be bought out, so that's almost $30 mill to pay over 12 years, so an average of $2.5 mill per season.
Hard to believe this is the discussion less than two years after it was signed but I agree. Unless he seriously turns it around, even returns to a 20 goal pace (which would still be bad with a $9M contract) they need to do something.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Good Lord. Ottawa beat Calgary 6-1?

As painful as this season has been for us here in Vancouver, something is also seriously rotten in Calgary. IMO, the Muzzin/Tkachuk incident was a galvanizing moment - Friedman touched on it saying that the Flames players were upset with Tkachuk's antics, and Tkachuk is apparently too damn stupid to "know how to play any other way".

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good Lord. Ottawa beat Calgary 6-1?

As painful as this season has been for us here in Vancouver, something is also seriously rotten in Calgary. IMO, the Muzzin/Tkachuk incident was a galvanizing moment - Friedman touched on it saying that the Flames players were upset with Tkachuk's antics, and Tkachuk is apparently too damn stupid to "know how to play any other way".
I side with the Calgary players here over MT. Not a rookie. Year 5 for him. Have to pick his spots better.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I side with the Calgary players here over MT. Not a rookie. Year 5 for him. Have to pick his spots better.

Oh, if I were a teammate of his I would have told him ages ago to shut the f*** up and play hockey. I don't blame the veterans at all. But I was more pointing to it as a moment where this season really seemed to take a bad turn for the Flames.

I think their core has been too soft for a while; Gaudreau and Monahan are practically invisible unless they're cherry picking for breakaway passes or on the power play. But it's rough for them when they spend on a top flight goalie and a top four shut down D-Man, only to realize what others have known for a while about their core.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Oh, if I were a teammate of his I would have told him ages ago to shut the f*** up and play hockey. I don't blame the veterans at all. But I was more pointing to it as a moment where this season really seemed to take a bad turn for the Flames.

I think their core has been too soft for a while; Gaudreau and Monahan are practically invisible unless they're cherry picking for breakaway passes or on the power play. But it's rough for them when they spend on a top flight goalie and a top four shut down D-Man, only to realize what others have known for a while about their core.

Gaudreau has been looking for a way out of Calgary for awhile, it’s clear he doesn’t want to be there. Either environment or just being there with no end in sight. I think that playoff loss to Colorado couple years ago exposed the Flames in more ways than one.

The book was out on Gaudreau that series, he became a total bitch in the eyes of people.

Also, Tkachuk needs to smarten up on his playing style. Sure being an super pest is all good but when it becomes a detriment to the team...the act gets tired.

Reactions: I am toxic

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

For some reason Monahan seems to be a polarizing player for the Flames. I actually think Monahan is a pretty good player. He's basically been their Bo Horvat without the bull rushes.

Comparing Trevling's Flames and Benning's Canucks at this point in time is rather interesting.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For some reason Monahan seems to be a polarizing player for the Flames. I actually think Monahan is a pretty good player. He's basically been their Bo Horvat without the bull rushes.

Comparing Trevling's Flames and Benning's Canucks at this point in time is rather interesting.
For Calgary they play him as their 1C because they don’t have anyone better. Be like Bo as our top C had the Canucks ended up with say a Makar over Petey in 2017 for example.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

They're in a bit of a weird spot..They've committed to Marky and Tanev, but they really don't have enough blue chip talent to make it work overall...If they miss the playoffs, I definitely see them moving on from some core players like Johnny Hockey or Monahan. (and some of these guys will likely be asking to be moved)

Maybe they go after Eichel..?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
flames have been a badly built meathead team for a while. what has happened is tkachuk has tried to step into the power vacuum and nobody in the room wants him.

the chronic issue with the flames is they are only good on the push, and primarily off the rush. they are a beatable below average team in all areas at a normal regular season tempo. nobody can sustain a push forever, so they get on a roll then crash and burn in an endless cycle.

i don't like comparing the canucks to them, because to me they are the definition of a failed stale core and how not to build a team.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i mean don't write them off. a team like calgary that went on a roll right at the time of the playoffs might be able to keep rolling all the way. they're not hopeless. i just have no confidence longterm in a team unless it is strong at even strength and can win playing a patient game on off nights.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
rutherford to the canucks looking more likely. i am guessing he is sitting out a 3 month non compete clause.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They're in a bit of a weird spot..They've committed to Marky and Tanev, but they really don't have enough blue chip talent to make it work overall...If they miss the playoffs, I definitely see them moving on from some core players like Johnny Hockey or Monahan. (and some of these guys will likely be asking to be moved)

Maybe they go after Eichel..?

Yep. I think even more so than the Canucks they really committed their cap dollars to (at least) make the playoffs and wasting away the prime years of their core players who are signed to reasonable contracts. With that said, their core players haven't delivered playoff success.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For Calgary they play him as their 1C because they don’t have anyone better. Be like Bo as our top C had the Canucks ended up with say a Makar over Petey in 2017 for example.

Oh I agree. I'm just saying that Monahan has gotten a lot of blame from Flames fans. He's vanilla but good vanilla.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Rutherford wouldn't make my top 5 on the wishlist, but if we do bring him in I hope it's in a president role. His GM track record has been awful since Pitt's back to back cups but it's hard to see a better candidate for managing Aquilini, as long as the actual hockey ops is left to a better GM. There's no way Rutherford would accept ownership meddling and he has the track record/gravitas required to get away with it.

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->