AHL Affiliation/Ownership thread

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd like to see AHL end up in Boise, Idaho. I know Seattle will probably do Palm Springs in the long run, but Boise could potentially have lots of Kraken fans.

But Calgary should be the team to really look into it as Boise/Abbotsford would be a decent rivalry. Salt Lake City might like to get back into it, but the big issue is that there's mostly Golden Knights fans there and Henderson is bound to look like they're in it for the long-haul.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I don't think there was a coherent or logical thought within this entire post...

I'd like to see AHL end up in Boise, Idaho. I know Seattle will probably do Palm Springs in the long run, but Boise could potentially have lots of Kraken fans.

Coachella Valley Arena is approved and will be ready in Fall of 2022. Seattle didn't go to Boise because their closest away trip would be 9 hours away. Their expressed reason for choosing Palm Springs was the travel and frequent, quick direct flights which are about as easy having their prospects play in-state.

Anywhere "could potentially have lots of [insert team name here] fans. Just because it's one of the closest major markets doesn't mean people will be fans. Look at Milwaukee and Chicago.

But Calgary should be the team to really look into it as Boise/Abbotsford would be a decent rivalry.

two cities nine hours away from each other would not be a decent rivalry. Boise to Abbotsford is further than Boise to freaking Stockton.

Salt Lake City might like to get back into it, but the big issue is that there's mostly Golden Knights fans there and Henderson is bound to look like they're in it for the long-haul.

Salt Lake City isn't leaving the ECHL.

Dollar Loan Center in Henderson will be completed soon and Vegas is keeping their prospects there indefinitely. Foley's Black Knight Sports & Entertainment is the operator so that's double confirmation they're not going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Anywhere "could potentially have lots of [insert team name here] fans. Just because it's one of the closest major markets doesn't mean people will be fans. Look at Milwaukee and Chicago.

You mean because the fans and pro sports teams in Milwaukee and Chicago hate each other in general?Don't forget the Packers and Bears rivalry! The Admirals and Wolves came together for their mutual benefit.

You could update that Palm Springs will start in 22-23 giving the Pacific Division TEN teams unless Grand Rapids and Colorado each shift one division to the east.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
You mean because the fans and pro sports teams in Milwaukee and Chicago hate each other in general?Don't forget the Packers and Bears rivalry! The Admirals and Wolves came together for their mutual benefit.

You could update that Palm Springs will start in 22-23 giving the Pacific Division TEN teams unless Grand Rapids and Colorado each shift one division to the east.

They certainly hate each other more than Abbotsford would hate Boise. Then again, I'm pretty sure an animated toaster fighting an ostrich would develop a more heated rivalry than Abbotsford and Boise or whatever other nutbag market @DudeWhereIsMakar suggested as the home for a rival for Abbotsford.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
They certainly hate each other more than Abbotsford would hate Boise. Then again, I'm pretty sure an animated toaster fighting an ostrich would develop a more heated rivalry than Abbotsford and Boise or whatever other nutbag market @DudeWhereIsMakar suggested as the home for a rival for Abbotsford.

Boise would be another outpost city, like Charlotte. The Eagles or the Heat would be the closest teams. The AHL would still end up with 10 teams in the Pacific Division. They would be marginally less compact than having Abbotsford and Palm Springs.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Gulls Watcher

Aug 1, 2016
Sun City, CA
Boise would be another outpost city, like Charlotte. The Eagles or the Heat would be the closest teams. The AHL would still end up with 10 teams in the Pacific Division. They would be marginally less compact than having Abbotsford and Palm Springs.
I think that Abbotsford is doing just fine building rivals with the Pacific Division.

As too having ten clubs in the Pacific Division, if it happens it's will only be short term, depending what happens with Stockton Heat.

The AHL has been a lost cause in Stockton, consider this season, they have one of the best teams in all the AHL, yet they are only averaging 1,500 fans in a 12,000 capacity arena. In addition to moving players between Stockton and Calgary can't be easy. They would do better to relocate them to Saskatchewan, where it would be a 6 hour drive or a short one hour flight. In addition, I believe the Heat would definitely hold their own with attendance at SaskTel Arena. It would also allow for balancing the AHL divisional alignment by moving Grand Rapids to the North Division. Then move Colorado and Saskatchewan into the Central Division. Giving the league 4 divisions of 8 clubs. A Central Division made up of Chicago, Colorado, Iowa, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Rockford, Saskatchewan and Texas, with a Pacific Division with Abbotsford, Bakersfield, Coachella Valley, Henderson, Ontario, San Diego, San Jose and Tucson, makes all the sense in the world.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

G50

May 21, 2011
Near the Wolves, IL
I think that Abbotsford is doing just fine building rivals with the Pacific Division.

As too having ten clubs in the Pacific Division, if it happens it's will only be short term, depending what happens with Stockton Heat.

The AHL has been a lost cause in Stockton, consider this season, they have one of the best teams in all the AHL, yet they are only averaging 1,500 fans in a 12,000 capacity arena. In addition to moving players between Stockton and Calgary can't be easy. They would do better to relocate them to Saskatchewan, where it would be a 6 hour drive or a short one hour flight. In addition, I believe the Heat would definitely hold their own with attendance at SaskTel Arena. It would also allow for balancing the AHL divisional alignment by moving Grand Rapids to the North Division. Then move Colorado and Saskatchewan into the Central Division. Giving the league 4 divisions of 8 clubs. A Central Division made up of Chicago, Colorado, Iowa, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Rockford, Saskatchewan and Texas, with a Pacific Division with Abbotsford, Bakersfield, Coachella Valley, Henderson, Ontario, San Diego, San Jose and Tucson, makes all the sense in the world.
I think most die-hard fans of the old IHL would be sad to see GR/Milwaukee/Chicago broken up. This trio has been together forever. TBH I hope the AHL never breaks them up. There's a reason their games have been so intense for years.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Note to Board Members with dreams of Milwaukee becoming an NHL expansion city: Tuck that fantasy away for at least two years. :badidea:
I don't think that ship will ever leave the port... #1 where would they play? The building the bucks are in was never intended for hockey thus why the admirals had to find a new place...#2 Where would teams stay? The NHL CBA specify's that the teams stay in a specific type of hotel etc without going into details, not sure milwaukee has enough of those to make a go of it...and before somebody brings up the whole well the Brewers are there etc...MLB hotels are less stringent as far as the class of hotel goes.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I don't think that ship will ever leave the port... #1 where would they play? The building the bucks are in was never intended for hockey thus why the admirals had to find a new place...#2 Where would teams stay? The NHL CBA specify's that the teams stay in a specific type of hotel etc without going into details, not sure milwaukee has enough of those to make a go of it...and before somebody brings up the whole well the Brewers are there etc...MLB hotels are less stringent as far as the class of hotel goes.
I saw the Badgers playing hockey at Fiserv Forum in December. The Bucks owners don't want a hockey team in the building where they are the primary tenant. That is why the Admirals left the BMO Harris Bradley Center a season before it closed and went back to their old arena, the one now named as the UWM Panther Arena (formerly MECCA). The Bucks owners would not even reply to Harris Turer about a meeting, so the team moved across the street a year early.

Milwaukee has the Pfister and the Hyatt downtown and near the FF. I am sure that both of them meet any requirements of a professional team, such as the NFL up until 1995, MLB and the NBA currently. If a long list of US presidents and candidates can stay at the Pfister, going back to John Kennedy, the NHL can also stay there. If the security was lax, the Secret Service would not allow a visit. Both hotels have plenty of amenities for their guests as well as a concierge floor.

I don't expect a NHL team based in Milwaukee during my lifetime and longevity runs in my family, so I could be around for 30 more years. David Poile expressed interest on Wednesday in having a preseason game played in Milwaukee by the Predators.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Two more seasons

I briefly spoke to David Poile on Wednesday night on the upper concourse of the UWM Panther Arena. He seemed to be a very nice man.

You found out before I did, as usual. It was in Friday's newspaper. There was a photo of Admirals team President Jon Greenberg with David Poile signing the extension.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
In all the years I lived in Cleveland we were affiliated with the Pens, Lightning, Avs and Sharks (maybe there was another one in there somewhere). I always thought Columbus would be the no-brainer win-win affiliation and it's been great for both organizations.

The Monsters play in a great building
The owner owns the Cavs and controls the building so he has a vested interest in making sure the Monsters are not just ugly step-child tenants
Cleveland is a really nice multi-cultural city to live and play in (way under-rated)
NE Ohio has pretty good hockey history, there's a solid fan base
The two hour drive between Cleveland and Columbus is easy for shuttling players back and forth as needed or for scouts/player development personnel to check on players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad