NHL Entry Draft: 2020 1st Round Mock

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
1. Alexis Lafreniere (NYR) - Consensus best player in the draft.

2. Quinton Byfield (LA) - Liken to Anze Kopitar, what better to learn from the man himself.

3. Tim Stutzle (OTT) - Top 3 is consensus. Stutzle is too good to pass up.

4. Cole Perfetti (DET) - Wings would of likely scouted Perfetti the most playing in Saginaw and I don't think they overlook him.

5. Marco Rossi (OTT) - Ottawa looking for a first line center and while Stutzle can play center, his long term future may be at wing. Rossi is the best center available and may end up becoming the best center in the draft. Phenomenal junior season.

6. Jamie Drysdale (ANA) - Its time for Anaheim to build the prospect blueline after drafting forwards in the first round in the past 4 seasons. Drysdale is the best defenseman in this draft.

7. Lucas Raymond (NJ) - NJ needs skill wingers to play with Hughes and Hischier. Raymond is best winger available at this position.

8. Alexander Holtz (BUF) - Goalscoring winger would fit perfectly well with Eichel or Cozens.

9. Anton Lundell (MIN) - Lundell is a perfect like for like replacement for Mikko Koivu. And could jump straight into Minnesota's NHL lineup with their lack of center depth.

10. Jack Quinn (WPG) - I like Quinn for Jets pick as I see Blake Wheeler playing more minutes at center towards the end of his prime, which opens up a top 6 right wing slot in the lineup that Quinn could fill.

11. Jake Sanderson (NSH)
- A trademark of David Poile is to draft and build from the blueline. With Ekholm a free agent soon, Sanderson is a logical long term replacement.

12. Kaiden Guhle (FLA) - Panthers need to improve the D and Guhle is one of the best defensive defenseman in the draft. A safe pick.

13. Dylan Holloway (CAR) - I can see Carolina overlooking Askarov and drafting Holloway. A power forward that will compliment their skills forwards well in the top 6.

14. Yaroslav Askarov (EDM) - Edmonton finally gets their goalie of the future. Askarov is a generational goalie.

15. Braden Schneider (TOR) - Toronto has a hole to fill at right defense and Schneider is one of the best two way defenseman in this draft. He also is one of the most physical and will help Toronto become tougher to play against.

16. Seth Jarvis (MTL)
- Montreal need scoring help and Jarvis is one of the better scorers in this draft.

17. William Wallinder (CHI)
- Chicago need to plan for a future blueline without Keith and Seabrook and I think that Wallinder skating, size and scope for further improvement is too good for Chicago to overlook. Could form an effective d partnership with fellow countryman Boqvist. Big defensman who can skate as well as Hedman dont get overlooked in the first round.

18. Dawson Mercer (NJ)
- The second of NJ's picks in the first round should follow the same theme. Finding wingers to play with Hughes and Hischier. Mercer is probably best available at this pick and has also got versatility to play some center too.

19. Helge Grans (CGY) - With Giordano in the final years of his career, TJ Brodie likely moving on from the team to free agency and Jussi Valimaki injury prone, I think the Flames would look to draft a defenseman with this pick. Grans is a standout due to his size and as a right defenseman, would be a good replacement for Brodie.

20. Rodion Amirov (NJ) - Another winger for NJ, with Palmieri and Gusev free agents at the end of the season. They can take their time with Amirov and let him develop in Russia before bringing him over to North America.

21. Connor Zary (CBJ) - I think Zary is a fine safe pick for Columbus to potentially fill a long term no.2 center slot behind Dubois.

22. Hendrix Lapierre (NYR) - With the Rangers winning the lottery they can take a more risky pick with their second first round pick. Lapierre is high risk due to his past concussion and health concerns. But the rewards are huge and could be their future no.2 center going forward.

23. Ridley Greig (PHI) - Would be a good feel good story for Greig to be drafted by Philly. His dad work as a scout there, but this isnt nepotisim. Greig is seriously talented and seems like a protypical Flyers draft pick that can play center and wing. Kill penalties, win faceoffs, hits and scores.

24. Marat Khutsnutdinov (WSH)
- Washington always seems to draft well in the bottom of the first round. Kuznetsov was a huge success which is why I am leaning toward Washington drafting another Russian first rounder.

25. Lukas Reichel (COL) - Colorado's blueline is good and their centers are so strong with MacKinnon, Kadri and Newhook. They are looking for a supporting winger at this position and I think Reichel is a good fit as someone that can be a supporting scoring and checking role as a middle 6 winger.

26. Jacob Perreault ( STL) - One of the best goal scorers in this draft, Perreault falls to the 20s due to his concerns about his work ethics, conditioning and defensive committment. When youre a cup contender like St Louis you can take a chance on a boom or bust prospect.

27. Noel Gunler (ANA) - After using their first pick on a defenseman, I think the Ducks go for a forward with their next pick. The Ducks are traditionally a team that drafts size and Gunler is a highly rated big winger that can score goals.

28. J.J. Peterka (OTT) - What better to reunite Stutzle with his international linemate. The two have very good chemistry with the German national team and it makes sense to bring that chemistry to Ottawa.

29. Justin Barron (VGK) - After trading Brannstrom, Vegas is probably looking at drafting a defenseman to restock the prospect pool. I think Barron is best available at this pick.

30. Ryan O'Rourke (DAL) - With Honka on the way out, I think Dallas also picks a defenseman with their first round pick. They dont need an offensive defenseman so O'Rourke's defensive style would be ideal.

31. Mavrik Bourque (SJ)
- Bourque is no doubt a first round talent that will probably fall down the draft due to his size. San Jose would gladly snap him up with one of last picks of the first round.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't see the Jets passing up Sanderson if he's at 10. Wheeler is only playing at C out of necessity from injuries. If the Jets are able to get a C this off-season then Wheeler will go right back to the wing.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, I'd take a swing on Lapierre at 22.

I don't think he lasts that long, but Lafreniere and Lapierre would inspire some celebrations that evening.

boots legrand

Jun 13, 2018
1. Alexis Lafreniere (NYR) - Consensus best player in the draft.

2. Quinton Byfield (LA) - Liken to Anze Kopitar, what better to learn from the man himself.

3. Tim Stutzle (OTT) - Top 3 is consensus. Stutzle is too good to pass up.

4. Cole Perfetti (DET) - Wings would of likely scouted Perfetti the most playing in Saginaw and I don't think they overlook him.

5. Marco Rossi (OTT) - Ottawa looking for a first line center and while Stutzle can play center, his long term future may be at wing. Rossi is the best center available and may end up becoming the best center in the draft. Phenomenal junior season.

6. Jamie Drysdale (ANA) - Its time for Anaheim to build the prospect blueline after drafting forwards in the first round in the past 4 seasons. Drysdale is the best defenseman in this draft.

7. Lucas Raymond (NJ) - NJ needs skill wingers to play with Hughes and Hischier. Raymond is best winger available at this position.

8. Alexander Holtz (BUF) - Goalscoring winger would fit perfectly well with Eichel or Cozens.

9. Anton Lundell (MIN) - Lundell is a perfect like for like replacement for Mikko Koivu. And could jump straight into Minnesota's NHL lineup with their lack of center depth.

10. Jack Quinn (WPG) - I like Quinn for Jets pick as I see Blake Wheeler playing more minutes at center towards the end of his prime, which opens up a top 6 right wing slot in the lineup that Quinn could fill.

11. Jake Sanderson (NSH)
- A trademark of David Poile is to draft and build from the blueline. With Ekholm a free agent soon, Sanderson is a logical long term replacement.

12. Kaiden Guhle (FLA) - Panthers need to improve the D and Guhle is one of the best defensive defenseman in the draft. A safe pick.

13. Dylan Holloway (CAR) - I can see Carolina overlooking Askarov and drafting Holloway. A power forward that will compliment their skills forwards well in the top 6.

14. Yaroslav Askarov (EDM) - Edmonton finally gets their goalie of the future. Askarov is a generational goalie.

15. Braden Schneider (TOR) - Toronto has a hole to fill at right defense and Schneider is one of the best two way defenseman in this draft. He also is one of the most physical and will help Toronto become tougher to play against.

16. Seth Jarvis (MTL)
- Montreal need scoring help and Jarvis is one of the better scorers in this draft.

17. William Wallinder (CHI)
- Chicago need to plan for a future blueline without Keith and Seabrook and I think that Wallinder skating, size and scope for further improvement is too good for Chicago to overlook. Could form an effective d partnership with fellow countryman Boqvist. Big defensman who can skate as well as Hedman dont get overlooked in the first round.

18. Dawson Mercer (NJ)
- The second of NJ's picks in the first round should follow the same theme. Finding wingers to play with Hughes and Hischier. Mercer is probably best available at this pick and has also got versatility to play some center too.

19. Helge Grans (CGY) - With Giordano in the final years of his career, TJ Brodie likely moving on from the team to free agency and Jussi Valimaki injury prone, I think the Flames would look to draft a defenseman with this pick. Grans is a standout due to his size and as a right defenseman, would be a good replacement for Brodie.

20. Rodion Amirov (NJ) - Another winger for NJ, with Palmieri and Gusev free agents at the end of the season. They can take their time with Amirov and let him develop in Russia before bringing him over to North America.

21. Connor Zary (CBJ) - I think Zary is a fine safe pick for Columbus to potentially fill a long term no.2 center slot behind Dubois.

22. Hendrix Lapierre (NYR) - With the Rangers winning the lottery they can take a more risky pick with their second first round pick. Lapierre is high risk due to his past concussion and health concerns. But the rewards are huge and could be their future no.2 center going forward.

23. Ridley Greig (PHI) - Would be a good feel good story for Greig to be drafted by Philly. His dad work as a scout there, but this isnt nepotisim. Greig is seriously talented and seems like a protypical Flyers draft pick that can play center and wing. Kill penalties, win faceoffs, hits and scores.

24. Marat Khutsnutdinov (WSH)
- Washington always seems to draft well in the bottom of the first round. Kuznetsov was a huge success which is why I am leaning toward Washington drafting another Russian first rounder.

25. Lukas Reichel (COL) - Colorado's blueline is good and their centers are so strong with MacKinnon, Kadri and Newhook. They are looking for a supporting winger at this position and I think Reichel is a good fit as someone that can be a supporting scoring and checking role as a middle 6 winger.

26. Jacob Perreault ( STL) - One of the best goal scorers in this draft, Perreault falls to the 20s due to his concerns about his work ethics, conditioning and defensive committment. When youre a cup contender like St Louis you can take a chance on a boom or bust prospect.

27. Noel Gunler (ANA) - After using their first pick on a defenseman, I think the Ducks go for a forward with their next pick. The Ducks are traditionally a team that drafts size and Gunler is a highly rated big winger that can score goals.

28. J.J. Peterka (OTT) - What better to reunite Stutzle with his international linemate. The two have very good chemistry with the German national team and it makes sense to bring that chemistry to Ottawa.

29. Justin Barron (VGK) - After trading Brannstrom, Vegas is probably looking at drafting a defenseman to restock the prospect pool. I think Barron is best available at this pick.

30. Ryan O'Rourke (DAL) - With Honka on the way out, I think Dallas also picks a defenseman with their first round pick. They dont need an offensive defenseman so O'Rourke's defensive style would be ideal.

31. Mavrik Bourque (SJ)
- Bourque is no doubt a first round talent that will probably fall down the draft due to his size. San Jose would gladly snap him up with one of last picks of the first round.

boots legrand

Jun 13, 2018
Would rather see the Blues draft Alex Barron; I'm afraid, however, I will not be consulted before they pick

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yeah, I'd take a swing on Lapierre at 22.

I don't think he lasts that long, but Lafreniere and Lapierre would inspire some celebrations that evening.
also get alex laferriere, let them all play on the same line and enjoy sam rosen.

Reactions: nugg

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Would rather see the Blues draft Alex Barron; I'm afraid, however, I will not be consulted before they pick
It would be a wise pick. With his combination of size and elite skating, Barron will have a much more productive career that many of the defencemen who will likely be chosen before him. After watching him play for two years, I would take him only after Sanderson among the available defencemen.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Have you seen NHL mock draft 2020 by The Athletics? Yaroslav Askarov with number 13 will go to Hurricanes, and Amirov number 23 to Capitals. I wonder what it will be like in reality?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I'd be pretty pumped from an Ottawa POV! I love Peterka. Stutzle is obvious. Personally I'd prefer Raymond over Rossi but Rossi is a fair pick there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->