Prospect Info: 2020 116th Overall Pick | D Eamon Powell

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Born in Marcellus, New York defenceman Eamon Powell has spent the last two seasons with the United States National Team Development Program. He spent this season with the Under-18 squad and scored six goals and eight assists for 14 points in 43 games. He had a strong tournament at the Under-18 Five Nations, helping the team to a silver medal. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 Pandemic cancelled the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, the signature event that Powell and his teammates were building towards.

Last season, on the Under-17 team, Powell scored seven goals and 14 assists for 21 points in 56 games. He also added one goal in two playoff games. Powell played in the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored a goal and two assists for three points in five tournament games. He played his minor hockey in both Syracuse and Rochester. Powell is committed to playing hockey for the Boston College Eagles next season. Should he change his mind and opt to go the CHL route, his rights are owned by the Saginaw Spirit. They drafted him in the 10th round, 201st overall, at the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft.

Eamon Powell Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #78

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like this pick for you guys.

This guy was one of my favorite players in the draft. Does some of everything well. High-end skating and hockey sense. Pretty good playmaking and skill. Also can defend at an average level. His stats are a little weak for his shift to shift production, but he's a good player. He's one of these players whose game oozes ease to how he plays. I think there's further development in his skill-set, and he will start to put up better numbers. I think he makes it to the NHL, and can be a middle pairing defenseman, which is great value in the fourth round. I had him as a second rounder.

Reactions: Outl4w and Zwui21

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Powell (#2) scoring 3 shootout goals against Finland in the U-18 Five Nations Tournament.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Powell:
“I was around the War Memorial a ton as a kid. Obviously, playing in the Syracuse Nationals organization we practiced at the War Memorial, we played games there. Obviously growing up, that (the Crunch) was a big sports team in Syracuse,” he said. “So I’m very familiar with the War Memorial. It’s almost like a home rink for me. So to be able to wear a Crunch uniform, maybe potentially in the future, play there on my way hopefully to Tampa, that’d definitely be a unique experience and something that’s pretty cool.”
Al Murray:
“We think there’s a lot of upside in his game offensively. He’s a very good skater, a very good puck-mover. He can skate the puck out of trouble, he can pass the puck out of trouble. He can make plays inside the offensive blueline," said Tampa Bay assistant general manager Al Murray. "Defensively, he’s not a banger. He’s not a big guy, he’s not a strong guy yet. But what he has are real good feet, so he defends positionally and he defends with his feet. He’s a good stick-on-puck guy. We look forward to watching him develop. As he matures physically, we think we’re going to have a real solid, puck-moving defenseman and we’ll find out just how much offense he has.”

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Wow, that is really exciting about his skating. Sounds like if he can just be an average defender, which he seems like he could be smart and agile enough to be, we'd have a strong offensive defenseman on our hands.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
7 points in his first 12 games so far at BC. Can’t speak on his actual play, as I’ve only been tracking the box scores, but 7 in his first 12 as a freshman is pretty impressive.

have y’all found another potential mid/late round gem here? Can anyone speak on his actual play beyond the point totals? Thanks and cheers :)!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Haven't heard much out of BC given the coaching change but is he committed to returning or viewing his options? Also, interesting given his brother is committed to playing there in 2023-24.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->