Prospect Info: [2020 - 109th] Blake Biondi (NCAA - University of Minnesota-Duluth)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Montreal Canadiens are proud to select.... Blake Biondi

Blake Biondi at eliteprospects.com

Blake Biondi - Elite Prospects.png

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Winner of the 2020 Minnesota Mr. Hockey Award, Blake Biondi is set to join the University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs next season. The Hermantown High captain put up 37 goals and 39 assists for 76 points in just 25 games. He also added 10 goals and nine assists for 19 points in just six playoff games. Drafted by the Sioux City Musketeers with the eighth pick in the 2018 USHL Draft, Biondi played 10 USHL games. He picked up a goal and two assists for three points. Biondi also played for Team USA at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. He scored one goal and one assist in four tournament games.

Last season Biondi scored 28 goals and 27 assists for 55 points in 25 games with Hermantown. He was named a First-Team All-American. He also played seven games for Sioux City with a goal and an assist. Biondi added two goals in two playoff games. In five games at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, Biondi scored one goal and three points. In eight games with the US NTDP, he also had one goal and two assists. Biondi played 21 games for Team North in the UMHSEHL, scoring 21 goals and seven assists for 28 points.

Blake Biondi Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #95 - Last Word on Hockey

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Some people don't know how to let go. Still bitter over David Fischer. "I don't know this kid from a hole in the ground, but he plays USHS hockey so I'm gonna $hit all over the pick."

What's the track record pf USHS picks? I'm not asking for Montreal specifically because that's a big 0 I'm pretty sure, but league-wise there's probably something?

The Marsh King

Feb 7, 2020
Winner of the 2020 Minnesota Mr. Hockey Award, Blake Biondi is set to join the University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs next season. The Hermantown High captain put up 37 goals and 39 assists for 76 points in just 25 games. He also added 10 goals and nine assists for 19 points in just six playoff games. Drafted by the Sioux City Musketeers with the eighth pick in the 2018 USHL Draft, Biondi played 10 USHL games. He picked up a goal and two assists for three points. Biondi also played for Team USA at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. He scored one goal and one assist in four tournament games.

Last season Biondi scored 28 goals and 27 assists for 55 points in 25 games with Hermantown. He was named a First-Team All-American. He also played seven games for Sioux City with a goal and an assist. Biondi added two goals in two playoff games. In five games at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, Biondi scored one goal and three points. In eight games with the US NTDP, he also had one goal and two assists. Biondi played 21 games for Team North in the UMHSEHL, scoring 21 goals and seven assists for 28 points.

Blake Biondi Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #95 - Last Word on Hockey
Nice, good read on the guy. I like this pick for MTL.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
if you've never seen him skate, please do and you will be shocked and amazed lol. Thought KK had an awkward stride. Wait until you see his..

2020 NHL Draft: Trying to unearth hidden gems in the USHL
Blake Biondi Scouting Reports:

From Tom Dorsa at McKeen’s Hockey:
Biondi plays with confidence and purpose as the captain of his Hermantown, Minnesota team, which is a must with his playing style. The centerman has great vision, can find open ice with the best of them, and possesses high-end anticipation of developing plays, which allows his positioning away from the puck to be his biggest asset. His skating is average at top speed, and features good balance and solid two-step acceleration, but he lacks agility and cutting skills. His shot is fast and one taken often, but his long, time-consuming windup will need to be improved upon. Decent hands in tight, but not the most skilled player. Committed to Minnesota-Duluth, it would not surprise me to see Biondi, with his skill set, scrape out a bottom-six NHL role in the long-term future.​
From Steve Kournianos at The Draft Analyst:
He has outstanding pucks skills, beginning with his deadly shot and continuing with expert stickhandling and keen vision. Dozens upon dozens of prospects pile up the points against high school competition, but few are able to incorporate physicality and a high compete level while contributing in all areas of the game like Biondi. His no-nonsense approach, clutch play, and abrasiveness towards tough opposition, especially when the importance of the game increases, are just a few of the reasons why he should excel in college and beyond.
Biondi does not require much from his teammates to generate offense, but he displays chemistry and selflessness regardless of who is on the ice with him. Naturally, a top-line player who puts up points is going to have superior puck skills and will be leaned on to provide his team a spark on offense when needed. But Biondi leads by example, not only for his scoring prowess, but also for his tireless efforts off the puck. He plays physical and will finish his checks, especially on the forecheck, and is willing to sacrifice his body for the sake of keeping pucks out of his own end. Biondi is a strong, agile skater with very good speed, excellent balance and edgework, and he protects the puck in an expert fashion when driving the net.​
From Alexander Taxman at Future Scope Hockey:
Blake Biondi is one of the USA’s premier forward prospects in this draft. Minnesota’s 2020 “Mr. Hockey” declined an invite to play with the USNTDP back in 2018. Biondi opted to stay in high school, and play sparingly in the USHL. He’s an imposing presence on the ice, combining high speed with high end scoring instincts and physicality. He’s one of the most agile North/South skaters in the draft, and has some really soft hands to go along with that. Biondi’s one of those players who always seems to be able to find the back of the net. Whether it’s from a snipe, a rebound, a wraparound, or a breakaway, Biondi just has a pure scorer’s touch. He scored at will in Minnesota’s high school circuit, with 37 goals in 25 games. He’s a natural center, but can succeed playing all three forward positions at the next level.​
Out of everyone on this list, Biondi is an uncertainty to me. As you can imagine, it’s not very easy to find a lot of highlights for Minnesota high school hockey. What I can find is mostly from his games with Team USA — and against other prospects his age who are also at an elite level he does show impressive skills.
With his rankings he seems to almost be a certainty to be available when the Leafs pick int he second round, but seems more appropriate as a third round pick or later. Since the Leafs don’t have a third round pick, they can be patient in case he falls to them in the fourth round.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Wheeler's comments on him:

Hard to evaluate not only because of the level he plays at but also because he's been underwhelming against his peers on the bigger stage. Was behind the play often in the Hlinka and higher levels. Is a project but could blossom. Was ranked 92nd on his list.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
What's the track record pf USHS picks? I'm not asking for Montreal specifically because that's a big 0 I'm pretty sure, but league-wise there's probably something?
What's the track record of NCAA players making the NHL? The two Minny picks are going to a great program. Here's a list of alumni that made it to the NHL. Minnesota-Duluth Alumni Stats in NHL

4th round is throwing darts for most anyway. They're projects. These two committing to MDU might have contributed to their selection. They can go there, playing in an excellent program for a few years. If they make it they make it when they're ready.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

i'd have to dig into that but for now just something random i just read,

When it comes to the NHL draft, no state offers clubs an abundance of riches like Minnesota. In 16 of the last 20 drafts, the State of Hockey has supplied the most U.S.-born picks, including 12 in 2019.

Sixteen of the 26 high schoolers ranked by the NHL’s Central Scouting department in their midseason release were from Minnesota schools

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What's the track record of NCAA players making the NHL? The two Minny picks are going to a great program. Here's a list of alumni that made it to the NHL. Minnesota-Duluth Alumni Stats in NHL

4th round is throwing darts for most anyway. They're projects. These two committing to MDU might have contributed to their selection. They can go there, playing in an excellent program for a few years. If they make it they make it when they're ready.

I was literally asking that's all. And yeah they're going NCAA that's awesome. But what's the % of guys who played USHS, got drafted that year and made it?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
i'd have to dig into that but for now just something random i just read,

Thanks, no need to dig in haha but those picks look like pretty good darts! If they had problem dominating USHS I'd be more worried

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->