Prospect Info: [2020 - 102nd] Jack Smith (NCAA - Minnesota-Duluth)

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He's a 4th round pick. Doesn't look great, but are we really that upset over this?

I don't follow those youth players as much as a lot of people on here, but from what I read it's the fact that it's picks so out of the blue when clearly better players are available - according to hfboards "amateur scouts" obviously.

Which is all good if the guy surprises everyone, but it looks terribad when he's out of the picture in his D+1 year (obviously still really early, but seems like a disapointing season).

I must say though, I remember the Romanov pick being pretty controversial (who his this guy right?), and yet he's playing in the NHL 2 years later. Sure, he's playing because of need, but he's looked like he could become decent.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
I don't follow those youth players as much as a lot of people on here, but from what I read it's the fact that it's picks so out of the blue when clearly better players are available - according to hfboards "amateur scouts" obviously.

Which is all good if the guy surprises everyone, but it looks terribad when he's out of the picture in his D+1 year (obviously still really early, but seems like a disapointing season).

I must say though, I remember the Romanov pick being pretty controversial (who his this guy right?), and yet he's playing in the NHL 2 years later. Sure, he's playing because of need, but he's looked like he could become decent.
Maybe the guy that scouted Romanov should be scouting the U.S. as he seems to know what the hell he is doing

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Clearly they also scouted Sean Farrell because they picked him. So how did they watch both players and come to the conclusion that Jack Smith was better? That to me is worrying.

I don't think that's a guarantee I think it's possible they liked both but felt Smith was more likely to be gone by the next time they picked. Now what they liked in Smith is beyond me based on just stat watching, but that's another part of the same debate.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't think that's a guarantee I think it's possible they liked both but felt Smith was more likely to be gone by the next time they picked. Now what they liked in Smith is beyond me based on just stat watching, but that's another part of the same debate.

He did have a good year and great PO in USHS-MN.

I think this year is a write-off as he completely recovers from his injuries. We'll see how he does in the NCAA next year.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So while everyone is rightfully focused on Caufield tonight. I just wanted to drop in here to let everyone know that Sioux Falls is up 7-0 on Lincoln after two periods. And our boy Jack Smith has NO points so far.

Have a good evening.

Is Smith really going to be ready for College hockey next year?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is Smith really going to be ready for College hockey next year?

I don't see how we could know since we don't know what's been going on with him. Did he have a wrist injury, it certainly looked like it, but if so why was he playing? What happened later in the season was he injured and if so what was the injuries the two times?

The telling part will be what UMD does, as we saw with Pitlick when he was supposed to be at Minnesota this year. Now sometimes that's for academic reasons and you have to keep in mind the covid rule the NCAA put in place for Seniors, allowing them to return next year if they wish. So kids that were slated for the NCAA next year, some might not have a spot if a few Seniors opt to return since that was totally unexpected since most gave their verbal commitment before covid.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't see how we could know since we don't know what's been going on with him. Did he have a wrist injury, it certainly looked like it, but if so why was he playing? What happened later in the season was he injured and if so what was the injuries the two times?

The telling part will be what UMD does, as we saw with Pitlick when he was supposed to be at Minnesota this year. Now sometimes that's for academic reasons and you have to keep in mind the covid rule the NCAA put in place for Seniors, allowing them to return next year if they wish. So kids that were slated for the NCAA next year, some might not have a spot if a few Seniors opt to return since that was totally unexpected since most gave their verbal commitment before covid.

I feel like he should stay in the USHL another year. I think I read he had wrist & shoulder injuries last year.

He's a fantastic skater and apparently has a great wrist shot, but this year is in the toilet for him. Keep him back for another year and allow him to reset.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I feel like he should stay in the USHL another year. I think I read he had wrist & shoulder injuries last year.

He's a fantastic skater and apparently has a great wrist shot, but this year is in the toilet for him. Keep him back for another year and allow him to reset.

yes he had a shoulder injury last year, missed a chunk of time as he played only 11 games for SCC plus 6 playoff games (and scored 27 goals in those 17 games).

The wrist injury was rumored/speculated by a poster here, no clue where they got it from, but I posted a vid of his shot last year vs at the time it was suggested he was battling a wrist injury and it looked clear that he wasn't getting much on his wrist shot at all vs ripping them last year.

It's up to UMD on what they want to do. All NCAA teams are going to be in a bit of scramble due to the new covid rule, it might not effect teams too much or it might as we have never seen this before. I don't know how long the Seniors have to let their schools know they plan on returning or not. From there they will need to make decisions on what to do with incoming players, as you don't want drafted kids to sit or you risk them transferring out for the next season. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Draft Analyst scouts the big Minnesota hockey tournaments. He usually does a report for the top kids. Below is what he wrote about Smith:

Jack Smith (2020 Draft | 5’11, 174 | July 6, 2002 | Shoots Left | NCAA: Minnesota-Duluth)

The complete package when it comes to high school standouts — quick, skilled, physical, competitive and incredibly smart. Earlier last year, Smith was invited to the NTDP U17 program but turned down the offer for another crack at a state title. The decision turned out to be a smart one, as the talented center led St. Cloud Cathedral to a 5-2 win the Class A title game against Greenway. Smith is a tremendous stickhandler and a beast on the puck, and his ability to deke, dangle and weave his way around traffic inside or out eventually creates swaths of open ice inside the offensive zone. He has a sweet set of hands and can fire pucks to the corners right off the pass, and his shots create rebound issues for goalies regardless of whether or not they can see them. Smith likes to throw his weight around, and his body checks pack a wallop for a player listed under 180 pounds. One thing that helped boost Smith’s draft stock was his dominant play while equally-talented teammate Nate Warner missed a good chunk of the season with an upper-body injury.

Personally feel he should have taken the NTDP option. But, the kid has something going for him. He's having a terrible year though.

Reactions: bopeep

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
The Draft Analyst scouts the big Minnesota hockey tournaments. He usually does a report for the top kids. Below is what he wrote about Smith:

Jack Smith (2020 Draft | 5’11, 174 | July 6, 2002 | Shoots Left | NCAA: Minnesota-Duluth)

The complete package when it comes to high school standouts — quick, skilled, physical, competitive and incredibly smart. Earlier last year, Smith was invited to the NTDP U17 program but turned down the offer for another crack at a state title. The decision turned out to be a smart one, as the talented center led St. Cloud Cathedral to a 5-2 win the Class A title game against Greenway. Smith is a tremendous stickhandler and a beast on the puck, and his ability to deke, dangle and weave his way around traffic inside or out eventually creates swaths of open ice inside the offensive zone. He has a sweet set of hands and can fire pucks to the corners right off the pass, and his shots create rebound issues for goalies regardless of whether or not they can see them. Smith likes to throw his weight around, and his body checks pack a wallop for a player listed under 180 pounds. One thing that helped boost Smith’s draft stock was his dominant play while equally-talented teammate Nate Warner missed a good chunk of the season with an upper-body injury.

Personally feel he should have taken the NTDP option. But, the kid has something going for him. He's having a terrible year though.
He and Biondi turning down the NTDP to spend a couple more years eating Mom's cooking and hanging with their buds make you wonder if they really want to play hockey for a living. Or just for a scholarship. It's not the life for everyone.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know if I will get an answer but I asked Marc Dumont on twitter to see if he could find out any info. I had asked his USHL team on twitter but they didn't respond. Either he's had some injury issues and this year is more of a write off or it's another Casey Staum pick that just looks terrible from day 1 and never gets better.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So looks like Jack Smith will be returning to the USHL next year, it's not official yet but with the new NCAA rule for covid that is allowing players to return for a 5th season, there's no room for Smith as they had 5 players opt to return for their 5th year plus a 5th year transfer. In addition they have Kyler Kleven who turns 21 when next season opens so he is too old to return to the USHL and UMD has confirmed he will be with them next year.

So there's no room for Smith as you don't want him to be in the same position that Biondi was this year or worse and get even less ice time.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
So looks like Jack Smith will be returning to the USHL next year, it's not official yet but with the new NCAA rule for covid that is allowing players to return for a 5th season, there's no room for Smith as they had 5 players opt to return for their 5th year plus a 5th year transfer. In addition they have Kyler Kleven who turns 21 when next season opens so he is too old to return to the USHL and UMD has confirmed he will be with them next year.

So there's no room for Smith as you don't want him to be in the same position that Biondi was this year or worse and get even less ice time.

Good, hopefully, he can stay out of the injury bug for 1 season.

Reactions: montreal

Jul 6, 2016
Biondi, Smith, and so many other no names drafted in the last couple of years.... Why pile up mid-rounders too ? They should pile up top three round picks instead.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Clearly they also scouted Sean Farrell because they picked him. So how did they watch both players and come to the conclusion that Jack Smith was better? That to me is worrying.

Any good late round pick taken by any team in any draft was scouted worse than a dud by that team's scouting staff.

For example Tampa scouted Jonathan MacLoud out of the USHL and took him ahead of Brayden Point. MacLeod played one season in the ECHL.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Good. I think that's the best option for him frankly. He seemed to have an injury riddled year. Gives him some time to get confidence in his game before moving up.

I have to say though our Minnesota High School scout seems to have a lot of clout.

Other than Mcdonagh, has any of them worked out?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

At this point, everybody knows that we shouldn't wait too much for him. And that's he in route till 2025 till we make a decision on him.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

One reason only. Needs. He's a centerman. Makes no sense at that point late in a draft...but that's our scouting group. It was evident that Smith had no particular top end quality. Timmins said that what he liked about him what the fact that he was a natural centerman. Skated well. And good hockey sense. Nobody thinks Farrell will end up playing C if he ends up in the NHL.

Reactions: le_sean

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Good. I think that's the best option for him frankly. He seemed to have an injury riddled year. Gives him some time to get confidence in his game before moving up.

I have to say though our Minnesota High School scout seems to have a lot of clout.

Other than Mcdonagh, has any of them worked out?

no it's been a disaster outside of McDongah as his worst 1st round pick was from there as well. JT Wyman was the only player picked out of the Minn USHS that got in some NHL games.

Even if you look at Timmins American born picks overall it's been a total failure outside of Pac and McDonagh. Now Caufield should change that, Primeau, Poehling sould as well. There's Harris and Struble who look the part. Tuch as well. Too early to say on the Farrell, Biondi, Smith picks yet.

But it's not pretty either picking US born players or players that played in the US,

Minn USHS
Ryan McDonagh
(Minn USHS/NCAA) - 12th OA '07 (709 NHL games)
David Fischer (Minn USHS/NCAA) - 20th OA '06
JT Wyman (Minn USHS/NCAA) - 100th OA '04 (44 NHL games)
Joe Stejskal (Minn USHS/NCAA) - 133rd OA '07
Andrew Conboy (Minn USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 142nd OA '07
Scott Kishel (Minn USHS/NCAA) - 192nd OA '07
Danny Kristo (Minn USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 56th OA '08
Casey Staum (Minn USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 124th OA '16
Ryan Poehling (Minn USHS/NCAA) - 25th OA '17 (28 NHL games)
Rhett Pitlick (Minn USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 131st OA '19
Jack Smith (Minn USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 102nd OA '20
Blake Biondi (Minn USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 109th OA '20

Northeast Prep USHS
Max Pacioretty
(NE USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 22nd OA '07 (811 NHL games)
Phillippe Paquet (NE USHS/NCAA) - 229th OA '05
Mac Bennett (NE USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 79th OA '09
Colin Sullivan (NE USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 198th OA '10
Jordan Harris (NE USHS/NCAA) - 71st OA '18
Jayden Struble (NE USHS/NCAA) - 46th OA '19
Sean Farrell (NE USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 124th OA '20

Michigan USHS
Michael McCarron (MI USHS/USHL/OHL) 25th OA '13 (74 NHL games)

Wisconsin USHS
Cole Caufield
(WS USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 15th OA '19 (4 NHL games)
Jack Gorniak (WS USHS/NCAA) - 123rd OA '18
Patrick Johnson (WS USHS/NCAA) - 206th OA '08

Colorado USHS
Josiah Didier (Col USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 97th OA '10
Hayden Hawkey (Col USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 177th OA '14
Steve Quailer (Col USHS/USHL/NCAA) - 86th OA '08

Maryland USHS
Jarred Tinordi (MD USHS/USHL) - 22nd OA '10 (101 NHL games)

EJHL
Cayden Primeau
(EJHL/USHL/NCAA) - 199th OA '17 (4 NHL games)
Mike Cichy (EJHL/USHL/NCAA) - 199th OA '09

not sure what USHS
Alex Galchenyuk (not sure/OHL) - 3rd OA '12 (578 NHL games)
Brady Vail (not sure/USHL/OHL) - 94th OA '12
Luke Tuch (not sure/USHL/NCAA) 47th OA '20
Cameron Cepek (CA USHS I think/WHL) - 199th OA '06

Just NCAA/USHL
Ryan O'Byrne
(NCAA) - 79th OA '03 (308 NHL games)
Jon Gleed (NCAA) - 212th OA '04
Louis Leblanc (USHL/NCAA) - 18th OA '09 (50 NHL games)
Dustin Walsh (NCAA) - 169th OA '09
Mark MacMillan (NCAA) - 113th OA '10
Nikolas Koberstein (NCAA) - 125th OA '14
Jake Evans (NCAA) - 207th OA '14
Brett Stapley (NCAA) 190th OA '18

One reason only. Needs. He's a centerman. Makes no sense at that point late in a draft...but that's our scouting group. It was evident that Smith had no particular top end quality. Timmins said that what he liked about him what the fact that he was a natural centerman. Skated well. And good hockey sense. Nobody thinks Farrell will end up playing C if he ends up in the NHL.

he has elite skating and a very good wrist shot that looks high end before the injury, if the wrist injury is correct.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
he has elite skating and a very good wrist shot that looks high end before the injury, if the wrist injury is correct.

Well I must have missed those games. Didn't see the elite. Good skating for sure, great technique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad