Prospect Info: [2020 - 102nd] Jack Smith (NCAA - Minnesota-Duluth)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Looks like another Casey Staum-type pick unfortunately.

i moved it to his thread since the injury was brought up in it, check post #120 and go from there,

he had a major injury last year that's why he played only 11 games in the USHS last year, he's injured his wrist this year from what's be suggested and it looks to be the case as i've compared his shot last year to this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched him play last night for the first time in over a month and was surprised at how little he played and didn't have much of an impact on the game. I wonder if the injury is worse or is he just struggling badly in his first season?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
watched him play last night for the first time in over a month and was surprised at how little he played and didn't have much of an impact on the game. I wonder if the injury is worse or is he just struggling badly in his first season?

From the games I watched post draft, he didnt even look like a 7th round pick...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wish he'd start picking it up, this has been a complete waste of a season. I'm honestly not all that sure he'll be able to crack Duluth's lineup next season the way things have been going :help:

that's what i'm waiting to see as he's got the poor season, back to back years of injuries, and due to covid the NCAA I believe is letting players return for a 5th year if they want to. I have to read up on it as I didn't pay too much attention at the time so i'm not 100% sure on the rules and who it exactly applies to. So I will be looking to see if UMD pushes him back to the USHL again next season like I believe Minnesota did with Pitlick. Now sometimes it's due to academics but I'm almost certain he was schedule to play for Minnesota this year but never heard why he didn't.

That said another year in the USHL might not be bad for Smith after struggling so badly this year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
that's what i'm waiting to see as he's got the poor season, back to back years of injuries, and due to covid the NCAA I believe is letting players return for a 5th year if they want to. I have to read up on it as I didn't pay too much attention at the time so i'm not 100% sure on the rules and who it exactly applies to. So I will be looking to see if UMD pushes him back to the USHL again next season like I believe Minnesota did with Pitlick. Now sometimes it's due to academics but I'm almost certain he was schedule to play for Minnesota this year but never heard why he didn't.

That said another year in the USHL might not be bad for Smith after struggling so badly this year.
Playing junior A hockey at 19 usually spells the end for any hope of a pro career with prospects. These are unusual circumstances though. Time will tell I guess.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is probably one of the worst D+1 seasons I've seen from a recently drafted prospect..

he was supposedly playing with an injured wrist, but yea it's been brutal, we just don't know what's actually going on. We know he missed a chunk of time last year to injury as he played 11 games for SCC (which means he missed more then half the season). Now he did play in all the games in the UMHSEHL i believe. So he must have gotten injured more in the middle since as i understand it, the UMHSEHL is a travel league that plays as a warm up to the USHS season which starts in mid to late Nov (i'd have to look that up, been some time since I followed the USHS)

Now he did play in the playoffs for SCC as he killed it with 10 goals in 6 games and 19 pts. I was told by a poster that this year he had a wrist injury but was still playing, so I posted a vid of his shot this year vs last year and it was way weaker so it does make sense but then the question is how long was he injured, how much did it impact him and why play if it impacted him that badly. I tried to get info from his USHL team but got no response.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I think Timmins drafted Smith because he looks like Jake Evans, physically and facially. Trev was hoping to duplicate a late round steal.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Timmins drafted Smith because he looks like Jake Evans, physically and facially. Trev was hoping to duplicate a late round steal.

he said he was picked higher due to the skating as to why they picked him, I assume it had something to do with his scoring 27 goals and 51 pts for SCC in just 17 games (reg + playoffs)

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
should change his name to John Doe

It's actually funny how difficult he is to find from google. I don't follow each prospect that close but like to check their stats to see if any surprisingly dominates. Looking for "Jack Smith hockeydb" brings up a bunch of players with the same name, he's not even in the first few results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->