Prospect Info: 201st overall — C Alexander Kadeykin

Roy S

May 16, 2009
He might be the most intriguing pick in the draft.

Building good relations in Russia could be a big boon. Due to the high risk of Russians staying to play in the KHL, many slip in the draft far below where they should be taken based off talent level. Teams that are able to sway a few more to come over and play and stay in the NHL would be at an advantage. I wonder if Datsyuk could help with that now and into his retirement. It's a lock that the Wings would offer him some role in the front office if he wanted one.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Seems promising of a pick. He definitely has serious skill and is huge.
Let's see if he wants to come here. Maybe Pavel can talk to him?

Larkin and Kadeykin are both interesting picks. I like them both.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
“He’s playing one more year in Russia because he has a contract, but when it expires, he’s planning to come to North America to play in (the AHL with) Grand Rapids,” said Red Wings scout Nikolai Vakourov.

Last edited by a moderator:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
“He’s playing one more year in Russia because he has a contract, but when it expires, he’s planning to come to North America to play in (the AHL with) Grand Rapids,” said Red Wings scout Nikolai Vakourov.

Awesome sauce!

Last edited by a moderator:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Yeah that's former NHLer Yevgeni Artyukhin.

Wow he outscored Evgeny Artyukhin??

I just went through their roster, and there are quite a few former NHLers Kadeykin outscored. Not to mention their team is gigantic.

Intriguing prospect for sure.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
That right there makes me feel better about this guy.

Sweden is viewed through a microscope by scouts these days so being able to pull in late round steals via Sweden is going to be extremely difficult. Russia and the developing eastern bloc countries is where a lot of steals are going to be appearing from in the future. IE Tatar, Jurco, Mrazek

I think you mean guys unlike Jurco and Mrazek. The CHL import draft is predominantly Czech / Slovak talent.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I don't think they didn't scout him that season and picked him just after one talk, iirc the story was that Marchenko was still on the radar the season after his injury and this talk you have mentioned just finalized the whole process. And that's what I actually mean - keeping player on the radar even though he wasn't considered a top prospect anymore, talking to him in person and, if everything is ok, drafting him - those are actually the signs of a good healthy scouting. And I think Kadeykin could be a similar case like Marchenko - not an unknown guy, but definitely not a top prospect, also after injury.

By the way googled a little bit and old Russian news articles are telling that Kadeykin had a career threatening knee injury at the start of 2012-2013 season.

Thanks for the insight Caser. Any idea what exactly the knee injury was? Something we should worry about recurring? I'm very excited about this pick. He seems to want to come here and he definitely has more than the 3C upside a lot of the other centers from this draft seem to have.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thanks for the insight Caser. Any idea what exactly the knee injury was? Something we should worry about recurring? I'm very excited about this pick. He seems to want to come here and he definitely has more than the 3C upside a lot of the other centers from this draft seem to have.

No, just it was mentioned that he had a surgery. Judging by the timeframe he missed, it might be something with MCL/ACL and as far as I know those aren't causing recurring problems, just some more risk in case knee is injured again. Anyway, his skating looks good, so it seems that the knee doesn't bother him at all at the moment.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Just saw a few videos online, not enough to tell everything but from what I saw he has speed and skates really well for a big guy, also his puck skills are not bad but nothing special.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
That's exactly what I want to hear about our late round picks. Makes me think the Wings know something no one else does.

As a Russian it doesn't make me think. I do realise the Wings have some serious european scouting in place. Everybody following the KHL knows who Kadeykin is. One of the pleasant surpises of the season. This young man showed he can use his size well in the grown ups league and he can score. From the KHL standpoint I'd love him on my team on the 3rd or 4th line right away for his grit and skill. Would be a nice addition for a playoff team. He was playing on a bad team, so he was kind of thrown into the fire there with basically no support and he did well. Another season or two in the KHL could do wonders to his play... or not. Not surprised at all at him being a late pick. More like surprised about many, many good Russians being passed over, obviously for 2 reasons: russian factor, and lack of european scouting.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

I just went through their roster, and there are quite a few former NHLers Kadeykin outscored. Not to mention their team is gigantic.

Outscoring Artyukhin is not a feat to be proud of. Punchng Artyukhin out would be one to be. :)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
After watching a bunch of highlights, this kid has a ton of physical talent. I'm not sure he's really got it in him to be a pure skill player, but with his speed and reach and puck protection, he could do a lot of good things. I could see him as a great big power center* for the second line. I think that's his high end upside.

*Not a power forward so much as a big, strong guy who protects the puck all day.

Last edited:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Really hope he will have patience in the AHL when he do get over, but then again he has the size-factor and if Babcock is still the coach he has a better chance than many others in the farm team

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
What can y'all tell me about him?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-crop-of-center-prospects-playing-in-the-khl/

Alexander Kadeikin, Atlant Mytischi
Born 1993

Alexander Kadeikin is a large center whose size is definitely appealing to North American scouts (6’5â€, 216 lbs). He had a very good season with Atlant, scoring 8 goals and 23 points in 54 regular season games, very solid numbers for a 20-year-old player, and good enough to be his team’s top scorer. Kadeikin’s strong points, other than his size, include a good passing game, solid finishing abilities and good skating. He spent the season on a line that likely was one of the tallest in the entire hockey world since, along with Kadeikin, it was comprised of former NHL players Evgeny Artyukhin (6’5â€) and Alexei Mikhnov (6’5â€).

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

it is a mind burgling , he is 4th line center and doesn't play in PK or PP. Could he last 20 min high speed game ?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Isn't it until a player turns 27 years old? Atleast that is what I found in Google.

No, you have rights to Euro players for 4 years. He is no longer our property at this point.

We lost him and Vahtalo over this last summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->