2019 year end vote for the James Norris Memorial Trophy winner.

Who would you vote for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The 2018-2019 season is almost over. There have been a few Norris polls previous to this one that were held earlier in the season. Perhaps some of you have changed your mind. Perhaps some of you remain unchanged.
The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the defenseman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.
If you were a member of the PHWA, who would you vote for?

Capture.JPG

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This is Rielly, Burns and Gio top 3 for sure. No one else is close, Hedman might be 4th.

Voted Rielly because he's still never had a legit top pairing D partner.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How the hell does Hedman/Gustafsson have the same votes as Burns and Rielly have more? The bias of players playing on Canadian teams is huge (Gio/Rielly).

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Gio then Burns and Rielly. Though I personally feel Burns should not be in the convo just because I feel like he's just a forward that plays on the blue line and while his offensive contributions are great, that defense is scary bad. And this is coming from someone who sees OFDs as a good thing and not a bad one. If it were my choice Gio wins, Rielly and then Hedman would be a finalist.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Gio then Burns and Rielly. Though I personally feel Burns should not be in the convo just because I feel like he's just a forward that plays on the blue line and while his offensive contributions are great, that defense is scary bad. And this is coming from someone who sees OFDs as a good thing and not a bad one. If it were my choice Gio wins, Rielly and then Hedman would be a finalist.
Well you would be wrong. Burns has been the Sharks best defensemen in both aspects.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Vote will go

Gio (by a mile)
Hedman
Rielly

Lol at Burns. Does that guy even play defence?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Gio

Burns
Rielly

I don't think it will be that close this year. Burns slowed down offensively enough that the gap isn't too big for points and Gio is just another level or two ahead of Burns in regards to the D zone.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Burns is definitely not a bad defensive player whatsoever, however his defense is easily the weakest of the top 3 speculated finalists.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How the hell does Hedman/Gustafsson have the same votes as Burns and Rielly have more? The bias of players playing on Canadian teams is huge (Gio/Rielly).

We're talking about a couple votes here. If the vote was for 2nd place, I'm sure Burns would have much more support. I'm not sure how Gio is benefitting from Canadian bias either. As Trap Jesus said, this is probably the easiest Norris vote in over a decade

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
The 2018-2019 season is almost over. There have been a few Norris polls previous to this one that were held earlier in the season. Perhaps some of you have changed your mind. Perhaps some of you remain unchanged.
The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the defenseman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season.
If you were a member of the PHWA, who would you vote for?

View attachment 209431

There’s many better candidates than Gustafsson and Barrie, who aren’t even necessarily their team’s best defensemen.

Not that it matters, because Giordano will win it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
There’s many better candidates than Gustafsson and Barrie, who aren’t even necessarily their team’s best defensemen.

Not that it matters, because Giordano will win it.
Ya I know. I just tried to keep it simple by listing the d-men in order of their pts and basically cut it off with Hedman because after all... he is the "player's choice" according to a recently released poll of NHL players.
I included "Other" in case someone felt that someone other than the players listed was deserving of the Norris this year.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Burns, Norris winner
Reilly - runner up
Giordano - 3rd finalist

Why? Burns lead the NHL defensemen in PTS at 1.01 which is quit a feat. Plus he's lead the NHL in GWGs.

Reilly - good defense, lead the NHL defensemen in Gs, and is 2nd behind Burns in GWGs.

Giordano - Falls behind Burns in PTS, and way down the list at tied at #23 for GWGs. When the game comes down to the wire. It's Burns and Reilly you want. Plus, the take down of McDavid. Probably a bad move that will cost him some votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->