WJC: 2019 WJC U20 D1A in Füssen, Germany (9/12 - 15/12 2018)

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
U20-WM Div. I in Füssen: Vorbereitung startet am 29. November | Deutscher Eishockey-Bund e.V.
Germany's Camp Roster was released today.

No Alexander Dersch? There's no way he isn't at least as good as Wirth probably better than both Appendino and Ugbekile as well.

I think we can have some certainty now though that the German defensive corp will be Appendino, Wirth, Moller, Wirt, Huttl, Gawanke, and Ugbekile.

Yeah, not a fan of leaving off Dersch, who is easily top 3, probably top 2 among the players listed, when it comes to actual defending. His offense is lacking a bit, but you already have Gawanke, Appendino and Wirt for offense from the back end.
It's not that I dislike any of the other guys, but especially with Seider out, I would have liked someone like Dersch, who is big, calm and can actually clear the crease and bring some physicality.
Charlottetown will certainly be happy not to lose him, because for the most part he has been playing really well for them.

Reactions: kabidjan18

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Seider is actually included in the list. I guess there is at least some hope that he gets healthy in time.

Nikita Alexandrov is not nominated, though.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Credible rumors are circulating that Rossi is out, but the Rossi camp says this is untrue.

Delete: new info keeps coming out. Will wait for final official results.

"Word out of Mannheim to scouts was that the injury might not be as severe as orginally announced. We will find out soon..."

Seider may make it.

I really hope both make it. I want to see them both play at this level and against each other.

Reactions: Frannel

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Dersch is on the Entry List for Germany, so maybe it was just a mistake they left him of the previously released list.
Entry lists are usually significantly larger to include even players not in serious consideration, but if someone isn't on the camp squad they're probably not making the team.

Where did you find the entry lists by the way? In the new website format I can't find them.

BTW, Rossi is out. People were breaking it on the day I last posted and reputable sources were also saying it, but some sources suggested the contrary. It's done now. He's out until the new year.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Is it just me or no Vladislav Mikhalchuk for Belarus? If he's not even on the entry list usually that means beef.
This time this mean bureaucratic fiasco with Visa obtaining. Been know for a while, still disappointing. Also only one Russia-based player on this list, also the least interesting of all the potential ones... :(

su24

Sep 30, 2017
I always keep the links to the old format around, because I don't really like the new one.

Links to all 2019 tournaments
Tournament page
Thanks for the links, that's very helpful.
The biggest surprise for Belarus is Sergei Sotsky on the list. He moved to Russia a long time ago. He played for team Russia U16 at some international tournament and never for Belarus.
Vladislav Mikhalchuk recently said that he's got a visa problem and wouldn't be able to come back to North America if participated at the WJC. That's the only significant loss for team Belarus.
The other missing CHL players: Danila Palivko, Yegor Buyalsky, Daniil Stepanov (all of them were born in 2001 and won't have made the team anyway). The only 4 skaters born in 2001: Alistrov, Protas, Kolyachonok and defenseman Artyom Volchenkov from the the Extraleague U20 team.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Thanks for the links, that's very helpful.
The biggest surprise for Belarus is Sergei Sotsky on the list. He moved to Russia a long time ago. He played for team Russia U16 at some international tournament and never for Belarus.
The kid simply has nothing to lose, he is only the second best Belarussian D on his line on Atlant. :) Furthermore Atlant has no senior team and Belarussians aren't counted as foreigners anymore, any Russia NT aspirations have long gone, so he might as well try to get some international hockey on his CV in his last year of eligibility. Otherwise he is back to Belarus extraleague ala Tarletsky, Lonovenko and somebody else I'm probably forgetting uncapped and unwanted by anyone.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
This time this mean bureaucratic fiasco with Visa obtaining. Been know for a while, still disappointing. Also only one Russia-based player on this list, also the least interesting of all the potential ones... :(
Who would be more interesting from Russia? Artyom Tereshchenko is not better than any Belarusian defenseman who will be on the team. Zhuk or Syty aren't better than the guys Belarus already has. Do you remember Pavel Lapin who played in Russia u16 league, didn't want to play for Belarus and supposed to be a star when he was 16? He just came back to Belarus and couldn't make any Extraleague team, he plays in the 3rd division for Mogilyov-2.
Interesting that none of the Belarusians who chose to play for Russia has become a KHL player yet. Krikunenko, karnaukhov, Kodola all set to rot in the VHL, while a guy like Litvinov, who came back from Russia and chose Belarusian citizenship, plays in the KHL, making much more money than karnaukhovs and kodolas.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not to derail the tread but let's be real, Karnaukhov is a KHL player. I also am not too sure about Litvinov making more than he does.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
The kid simply has nothing to lose, he is only the second best Belarussian D on his line on Atlant. :) Furthermore Atlant has no senior team and Belarussians aren't counted as foreigners anymore, any Russia NT aspirations have long gone, so he might as well try to get some international hockey on his CV in his last year of eligibility. Otherwise he is back to Belarus extraleague ala Tarletsky, Lonovenko and somebody else I'm probably forgetting uncapped and unwanted by anyone.
As well as any other Belaeusian who chose Russian citizenship so far. Thy're all regressing for some reason. Look at Ustimenko's development: he played at the u18 WJC, but now he's almost 20 and still plays in the MHL, they didn't take him to the Superseries and he won't play a game at the next WJC: guys like Tarasov, Miftakhov, Kochetkov are younger and already play in the VHL against men.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
Not to derail the tread but let's be real, Karnaukhov is a KHL player. I also am not too sure about Litvinov making more than he does.
I don't follow KHL very closely, but Karnaukhov has spent plenty of time in the VHL this season. 1 goal in 35 career KHL games doesn't make him a KHL player.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't follow KHL very closely, but Karnaukhov has spent plenty of time in the VHL this season. 1 goal for the year doesn't make him a KHL player.
Yeah but if he played for almost any other team he would score more and play 15 minutes per game.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I don't follow KHL very closely, but Karnaukhov has spent plenty of time in the VHL this season. 1 goal in 35 career KHL games doesn't make him a KHL player.
Karnaukhov has had 11 minutes 39 seconds per game this season. Litvinov has 5 minutes 23 seconds per game this season. I saw Karnaukhov once, he looked fine. The Minsk games I've seen this year...I haven't noticed Litvinov, and not surprisingly either he's at about 7 shifts per game. 5 minutes a game is universally recognized as a detrimental amount to a player's development.

Karnaukhov is 21, it's no more unusual for a guy his age (or even older) to play stints in the VHL than it is for a 21 year old NHL signee to play stints in the AHL. Most KHL players aren't Kirill Kaprizov...

su24

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah but if he played for almost any other team he would score more and play 15 minutes per game.
No. Look, "Karnaukhov has had 11 minutes 39 seconds per game this season" (c). That's plenty of time to score some points with players CSKA has on the roster, but he has only one goal against basically VHL team (Sibir). Andrei Stas used to play as much time per game on the stacked CSKA team with Grigorenko, Radulov, Zaytsev etc. and he was scoring more. And that's "woody" Stas, who had only 1 goal last season in Omsk. His numbers didn't get up after he moved to Nizhnekamsk, Minsk or omsk. Same would've happened to Karnaukhov. He might stay in the KHL, but only as a depth player. Stone hands and low hockey IQ don't make me miss him for a second

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
No. Look, "Karnaukhov has had 11 minutes 39 seconds per game this season" (c). That's plenty of time to score some points, but he has only one goal against basically VHL team (Sibir). Andrei Stas used to play as much time per game on the stacked CSKA team with Grigorenko, Radulov, Zaytsev etc. and he was scoring more. And that's a "woody" Stas, who had only 1 goal last season in Omsk. His numbers didn't get up after he moved to Nizhnekamsk, same would've happened to Karnaukhov. He might stay in the KHL, but only as a depth player. Stone hands and low hockey IQ don't make me miss him for a second
Lol, actually trying to compare a 21 year old to a 26 year old. You do realize that players don't simply reach their peak at 20? That players actually continue to improve all the way until they reach their primes at roughly 28-29?

You probably would have given up on Maxim Mamin. Or Ivan Telegin. Or Maxim Shalunov. And many more. If your point is "Karnaukhov won't become a Russian national team star someday"...that's simply a probabilistic truth. Players over roughly a 12-14 year age range can play on the National team, which means that the likelihood a given junior Russian player from any one of the 12-14 junior national teams will play for Russia is low. But it seems like the argument you're making is that he made the wrong career choice, which isn't at all apparent. He's simply following the path that most KHL players follow.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Who would be more interesting from Russia? Artyom Tereshchenko is not better than any Belarusian defenseman who will be on the team. Zhuk or Syty aren't better than the guys Belarus already has. Do you remember Pavel Lapin who played in Russia u16 league, didn't want to play for Belarus and supposed to be a star when he was 16? He just came back to Belarus and couldn't make any Extraleague team, he plays in the 3rd division for Mogilyov-2.
Interesting that none of the Belarusians who chose to play for Russia has become a KHL player yet. Krikunenko, karnaukhov, Kodola all set to rot in the VHL, while a guy like Litvinov, who came back from Russia and chose Belarusian citizenship, plays in the KHL, making much more money than karnaukhovs and kodolas.
Well you did speak about Sotsky in lenght, so it is only natural that I assume that his in-form teammate Tereschenko would also be nice addition to the candidate list at very least whether he eventually makes the team or not.

What I originally was aiming at is G Shostak. I really dislike every single goalie on the candidate list this year. Both still eligible goalies from last year are mostly responsible why we are seeing Belarus in 1A and Denmark still in elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->