WJC: 2019 WJC Divisions II/III

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This is getting rather ugly real fast. Korea looks terrible.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well we look terrible so far. Estonians have the puck 70% of the time. Age difference is showing, older Estonian guys just pushing our kids around. As expected our Fs aside from the first line are just useless with the puck.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, the better team won. I was actually surprised we didn't get outshot that bad on paper. Can't help but feel fatigue played a huge part, we have a shorter bench and the first line played a lot, a lot of minutes yesterday. Anyway, getting one point was crucial as I have little doubt GB will be able to take down Estonia. We just need to win the rest of the games.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Hijacking this to include Division III as well (maybe update the title?)

China looks like they want to dominate the tournament. 10+ in their first two games is a good start, even if that's not unusual at this level. Match against Bulgaria on Thursday will hopefully be good.

Also nice to see 8 teams here; keep that up we may have a Division IIIB next year.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Hijacking this to include Division III as well (maybe update the title?)

China looks like they want to dominate the tournament. 10+ in their first two games is a good start, even if that's not unusual at this level. Match against Bulgaria on Thursday will hopefully be good.

Also nice to see 8 teams here; keep that up we may have a Division IIIB next year.
China is certainly on a roll, the MHL project seems to have been helpful for their previously almost nonexistent player development, even if the opposition has not been particularly strong yet. I would have wished to see them participate in the IIB this year and see how well would they perform but their slow start last year prevented that from happening. With that said, I am confident that they'll stroll through this tournament undefeated.

It's also refreshing to see the elimination round format in a lower division tournament for once.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
First games mean very little for China, they scored 10+ goals against NZL and BUL already last year, and RSA was only promoted to DIII this season so they are no match for them either. Realistically only Iceland stands in their way of promotion as they are the only team still left at this level they failed to win last year (Israel went up of course). And the relegated newcomer Turkey doesn't look too good.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Romania is not agreeing with your plan it seems.
I think we got this, we are quite clearly the better team and the Romanian goals were rather lucky considering we have Lubys in goal. Especially the 2nd one.

I love the way Gusevas is playing. Sure he makes mistakes but he is finally looking like an impact player, MHL definitely did him good.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, 2 offensive zone penalties in dying minutes of must win game.. Needless to say we aren't worthy of promotion. We've been given a gift by GB and blew it big time, just not good enough.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This tournament is exciting as hell for a neutral like me. All teams look surprisingly decent this year.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Div 2B has its top fight tonight, the winner of Serbia-Croatia will probably promote.

I think Serbia has a chance although they did not look dominant against Mexico...
Diumic is a very good returnee, as well as their goalie Mitic.
Croatia are ona roll as we've seen yesterday but we'll see.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Div 2B has its top fight tonight, the winner of Serbia-Croatia will probably promote.

I think Serbia has a chance although they did not look dominant against Mexico...
Diumic is a very good returnee, as well as their goalie Mitic.
Croatia are ona roll as we've seen yesterday but we'll see.

We are not on the roll. Holland's goalie was weak spot for them. I would give Serbia slight advantage in tonight's match.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So with a win today Estonia would secure the promotion. Great achievement for their boys and for Estonia as a hockey nation. They have done a lot for this to happen.

Reactions: David Suzuki

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
So with a win today Estonia would secure the promotion. Great achievement for their boys and for Estonia as a hockey nation. They have done a lot for this to happen.

If I was reading correctly, would be their first time at the Division I level. Always nice to see some teams improve like that, especially a country like Estonia which seems to be mMing some (slow) progress in development.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
If I was reading correctly, would be their first time at the Division I level. Always nice to see some teams improve like that, especially a country like Estonia which seems to be mMing some (slow) progress in development.
Would be Estonia's fifth time. Last time in Div I was 2009.

Edit. Maybe you mixed with Estonia U18. They haven't been in Div I ever. And that's not going to happen in the near future because age classes after amazing -99 and -00 aren't that special. U18 will be fighting against relegation to 2B this spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaiser matias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->