Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Dont watch PL. Is Chelsea really that weak that Pulisic is automatically in the starting 11?

Willian has started the season dreadfully and is 30. I've always rated Pedro, who is still good and is one of our few options for secondary scoring, but he's 31. Pulisic will rotate in next year with them. Ideally, we retain Hazard and so next year line up with Hazard in that false 9 spot and Pedro and Pulisic behind him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why can't Guerreiro be relied on? I think he's a really good backup option.

Always injured, not very consistent, hasn't had a definitive position yet at the club and he always seems to either be in good with the manager or completely out of favor.

I'm not saying he can't help the squad, but I don't think you can rely on Guerreiro to help.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
RW has always been a weak spot. Willian and Pedro are both aging, so Pulisic is definitely the answer there moving forward. We only do 1 year deals for players 30 and over, and that applies to Willian and Pedro.

It's probably the best spot for Pulisic of all the big clubs out there to get consistent minutes.

Maybe but Pulisic hasnt shown that he is a player for the starting 11 in the Bundesliga. Its not just that he didnt play all the time. He was atleast for me the most dissapointing player of the last two seasons. Well and i think it will not be easier in the PL because its more balanced. So he has to play against stronger opponents. I doubt it was good for him. Its a tang of irony that Dortmund is the first team he is loaned.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Willian has started the season dreadfully and is 30. I've always rated Pedro, who is still good and is one of our few options for secondary scoring, but he's 31. Pulisic will rotate in next year with them. Ideally, we retain Hazard and so next year line up with Hazard in that false 9 spot and Pedro and Pulisic behind him.

It really is the ideal big club for him to get playing time. I think he'll benefit from playing under Sarri.

Always injured, not very consistent, hasn't had a definitive position yet at the club and he always seems to either be in good with the manager or completely out of favor.

I'm not saying he can't help the squad, but I don't think you can rely on Guerreiro to help.

I don't know what was going on with him last year, but there was a lot of turbulence at the club in general. Hopefully it was just a byproduct of that. I thought he was generally very good in 16/17 and again this year.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Who is "everyone told you then, even BVB fans"? I don't think that happened as you described.

I don't care to get into a debate about this. You've decided you are right. You've taken your victory lap. Congratulations to you. There's no need to try to start an argument with me every time Pulisic is discussed on this website.
@Deficient Mode for one.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
This would be a good signing, but we might need to bring in two wingers. We'd only have Sancho and Hazard as proven players. Guerreiro can't be relied on, Philipp might be on the way out, JBL might not be any good, Wolf isn't any good and now Reus is playing centrally.

Dont forget him. Think he will stay with the first Team next season.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
A year ago, someone told me here Pulisic would go for 80+M. Now, everyone agrees it's a miracle BVB got 60M for him.

I think his fee dropped a lot due to his contract situation rather than his star dwindling. He refused to sign a new contract, and his contract would have expired in summer 2020. 64M for a player who would have had one year left on his contract when Chelsea gets him this summer would have been much higher for a player with 2+ years on his contract.

I didn't rate his potential as highly as PB, but I don't feel the need to revisit that.

Reactions: les Habs and Evilo

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don’t know how I feel about the Pulisic transfer yet. On one hand it’s clear that he will be a replacement for Willian and should get a solid amount of playing time under Sarri. On the other it’s possible he stagnates in the PL if he doesn’t end up getting the playing time. Pulisic is one of our best hopes for the NT and he needs to improve if the USMNT wants to get back to the World Cup.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t know how I feel about the Pulisic transfer yet. On one hand it’s clear that he will be a replacement for Willian and should get a solid amount of playing time under Sarri. On the other it’s possible he stagnates in the PL if he doesn’t end up getting the playing time. Pulisic is one of our best hopes for the NT and he needs to improve if the USMNT wants to get back to the World Cup.

Yeah, for anyone that is a Chelsea and USMNT fan, it's either going to be fantastic or the worst move ever.

Reactions: Gecklund

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Willian is better. -runs-

Probably not a ton of difference between them. Both of similar qualities and issues in their game. It is annoying hearing from analysts and pundits play Willian up as this great Brazilian national team player to make the move look bad for Chelsea or Pulisic. Willian has always been good, but nothing special, and he was never any better when he played for Brazil.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, they're probably close when they're both on form. The Pulisic deal is always made based on the principle that he gets better. His potential, both on the pitch, and off economically sadly, are much higher.

But that's not the case really for either one of them.

I just hope he doesn't go to Chelsea and see a cycle of managers. I think Sarri's the answer, but I also know how it goes with Roman.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, for anyone that is a Chelsea and USMNT fan, it's either going to be fantastic or the worst move ever.

He was already going through this in Dortmund, though. I think the wings are less crowded in Chelsea and this is in part a move for more playing time in addition to a move for higher salary and more exposure.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Not sure how much Chelsea you've watched this year, but Willian has been absolutely dreadful all season.
Pulisic just as bad. He hasn't even been starting games.

64mil for a player with 1 yr left, loaned back and that is benched. Absolute robbery by BvB.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dont forget him. Think he will stay with the first Team next season.

I'm not, but he's not a winger.

I know Reus has thrived centrally this season, but would he not be able to thrive playing out wide? We've seen before that he's also very good as a winger.

I think the team needs would be helped out a lot more if we could go into next season knowing that Reus is the starting LW, Sancho the starting RW, Hazard is the first back up at both positions, and then we can have Philipp, JBL, Wolf, Guerreiro filling in from there.

I think we have enough options centrally. Goetze, Kagawa, Gomez, Dahoud can all play the CAM role, although they'll all play it differently from Reus. I'd like to see Favre be more willing to use someone other than Reus in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad