Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That's a lot of money for Pulisic. o_O
Meh.

Increased American revenue will likely be substantial.

From a financial aspect, it's somewhat understandable that they would be willing to pay that large a fee.

But as a fit? I hope to god it works. I also hate loan backs where the player isn't guaranteed minutes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think Rabiot is going to wind up anywhere he hopes for at this rate.
Pretty much. He's asking for more money by the minute and is rejecting teams while being rude.
Everyone knows Spurs are a tad lower than what he's (rightfully) targeting, but they're still a good side and he needs to show a little respect.

That said, when was the last time a 23 year old player, among the best in the world at his position and potential to be top 3 at his position, was available for free?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I mean, no disrespect to Spurs, but if he could play at Real or Barca, they’re a bit different level.

I guess could is the main word here. Obviously, no-one unless they are set on playing in the PL for some reason, would choose Spurs over Real or Barcelona. No disrespect to Rabiot, but it might not be such a bad idea for him to go to a place where he becomes the main man in midfield for a couple of years before moving on?

Certainly going to be interesting to see what Spurs will do with their central midfield. Sissoko has been shockingly good these last couple of months as a CM. And Winks is slowly developing into the player I hoped he would, but Wanyama has been either crap or injured, Dier has never improved from his first season in the PL and Dembele is clearly not able to play in the PL fitness wise. Skipp looks promising, but that midfield has to be improved upon. And I believe funds are available.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Can only applaud Dortmund. Would have liked him at Spurs, but not sure if I like how he has been developing. Certainly not someone I would have paid that kind of money for. Still potentially a very very good player though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
A year ago, someone told me here Pulisic would go for 80+M. Now, everyone agrees it's a miracle BVB got 60M for him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I guess could is the main word here. Obviously, no-one unless they are set on playing in the PL for some reason, would choose Spurs over Real or Barcelona. No disrespect to Rabiot, but it might not be such a bad idea for him to go to a place where he becomes the main man in midfield for a couple of years before moving on?

Certainly going to be interesting to see what Spurs will do with their central midfield. Sissoko has been shockingly good these last couple of months as a CM. And Winks is slowly developing into the player I hoped he would, but Wanyama has been either crap or injured, Dier has never improved from his first season in the PL and Dembele is clearly not able to play in the PL fitness wise. Skipp looks promising, but that midfield has to be improved upon. And I believe funds are available.
Rabiot probably thinks he's proven to be good enough at PSG. Doesn't think he needs to prove himself at Spurs.
Anyway, Rabiot never thinks he has to prove himself.

As for Sissoko, I hope DD doesn't watch. Unfortunately, he is probably watching more Spurs games than any other team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's a good move for Pulisic. There will be more minutes for him there, and I'm sure the idea of being in London appealed to him. Money is what it is, but he will start on the wings at Chelsea, especially if Hazard leaves. Even if not, Chelsea is very old at that position. It's a good move for the player, regardless of the other stuff.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A year ago, someone told me here Pulisic would go for 80+M. Now, everyone agrees it's a miracle BVB got 60M for him.
I mean, that's what happens when you lose your starting place to players younger than you. I mean Liverpool was in on the player but I doubt they wanted to spend that much on a back up with an end product that can be best described as inconsistent.

Maybe they see what Sancho is doing there, and what Harry Wilson (for example) is doing in the Championship and think they don't need to spend money there, because they can promote someone internally.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Rabiot probably thinks he's proven to be good enough at PSG. Doesn't think he needs to prove himself at Spurs.
Anyway, Rabiot never thinks he has to prove himself.

As for Sissoko, I hope DD doesn't watch. Unfortunately, he is probably watching more Spurs games than any other team.

Would suggest it being a case of "proving himself", but he certainly wouldn't currently be a given starter at Real or Barcelona. Real would need some fresh blood soon in midfield I guess, but if they don't consider Rabiot that guy.....

Anyway. If he for whatever reason considers Spurs to be beneath him then fine. Spurs are doing well because the team is an unit. Rabiot isn't worth upsetting that. At the same time I generally try not to judge people based on their public image. So if Rabiot came to Spurs willing to follow Pochettino then I think he would do fantastically well in that team. Rabiot - Winks - Eriksen in a midfield three would be very solid. The big black hole in the current line-up is that missing man in midfield.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I mean, that's what happens when you lose your starting place to players younger than you. I mean Liverpool was in on the player but I doubt they wanted to spend that much on a back up with an end product that can be best described as inconsistent.

Maybe they see what Sancho is doing there, and what Harry Wilson (for example) is doing in the Championship and think they don't need to spend money there, because they can promote someone internally.

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do sir?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Would suggest it being a case of "proving himself", but he certainly wouldn't currently be a given starter at Real or Barcelona. Real would need some fresh blood soon in midfield I guess, but if they don't consider Rabiot that guy.....

Anyway. If he for whatever reason considers Spurs to be beneath him then fine. Spurs are doing well because the team is an unit. Rabiot isn't worth upsetting that. At the same time I generally try not to judge people based on their public image. So if Rabiot came to Spurs willing to follow Pochettino then I think he would do fantastically well in that team. Rabiot - Winks - Eriksen in a midfield three would be very solid. The big black hole in the current line-up is that missing man in midfield.
Rabiot would start for Barca IMO. And probably soon for Real (they'll likely lose Modric anyway).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, that was kind of the point.
When you project, you can't only keep the best projection, right?
Remember when the same guy laughed at me for saying Pulisic had at best a top 3 Bundeliga potential?

Reactions: Savant

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Now that every club and league is trying to expand their presence in the US, you're going to pay 20M+ extra for the simple fact Pulisic is young, exciting and good-looking American.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Probably not relevant for this window but filing this one away.

Tottenham growing twitchy as Eriksen stalls on latest contract offer

Probably the biggest flight risk of their core.

Pretty sure Eriksen will leave.

He stayed at Ajax long enough to be able to take the next step quite easily (he needed some time to adjust still). Now he wants to end his career playing for one of the "super clubs". A shame, but I would be very surprised if Eriksen stayed at Spurs. I expect both him and Alderweireld gone in the summer. Alderweireld doesn't worry me that much with Sanchez and Foyth progressing well (I want him to stay, but not at any cost). Eriksen will be a huge loss. Cannot be replaced the way Pochettino likes to play. No other "creative midfielder" is also that disciplined defensively.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Chelsea supposedly have a 2 year transfer ban coming. If so, that would have added a premium to the cost of Pulisic.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Some noise that Solanke to Crystal Palace on loan is off, and that he will be going to Schalke instead.

Schalke seems pretty desperate for a striker too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->