OT: 2019 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Next Stop the 107th Grey Cup vs. the Ti-Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I've said it many times --Streveler is "not" a quarterback. If Nichols was in at QB -we'd have a good chance. The Bombers need to sign a guy like Arbuckle or go down south with "new scouts" and recruit some good QB prospects. It's the only way we'll win.

Some posters who kept calling for Streveler over Nichols, have the same problem our scouting staff does. He's not a QB --unless you can throw accurately--your just not a CFL QB.

I think Nichols is good enough to win with --will likely be here for 2 more years--and then we'll need someone to replace him.

I also don't think Nichols body will hold up for a whole season --so they better get someone for next year, and start to groom the new QB --who will it be. ?

I'd also like to see Zach Collaros get a shot --although you have concussion problems with him.

Nichols is not good enough to win with. Those who wanted Streveler in wanted him in because we knew Nichols was crappy but we didn’t know what we had in Streveler. It’s the same reason Maurice should be playing Heinola and Niku over guys like Bitetto. We know Bitetto sucks, we don’t know about Niku and Heinola. We knew Nichols sucked, we didn’t know about Streveler.

It looks like Streveler won’t pan out. They need someone new.

Collaros won’t be the answer. He’s one hit away from retirement.

Reactions: sipowicz

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I posted but maybe since I hadn't had enough coffee because it seems not to have stuck.
Defense is horrible outside of a couple plays. BLM's only incomplete passes were the ones his receivers should have had but dropped.

What was it a 5 yard passing average for Streveler.

And MOS with his same old same b.s. answers after the game.
We have to learn, Neither offense nor defense has learned all season.
May not officially be next year time but hands up those who seriously think this crew has a shot at playoff time.
And never mind the " anything can happen flat out stupidity because everyone knows that if the Bombers go into half-time with anything less than a 50 point lead in the playoffs they are going to blow it.
It is a common as the cold. Or the Jets giving up goals in the last minute of a period. The early bad teams of Jets 2.0 did it almost every game.

Please Bombers at least get rid of the coaching staff. That would show me you are at least committed to not the same old stuff.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
My crazy hot take suggestion would be to try and turn Streveler into a runningback.

He has the speed, he's already run guys over at the position he plays at and has decent ball carrier vision. He's not a viable starting QB or even backup at this point. Get Collaros up to speed, throw him in there and see what happens.

I don't have high hopes of a deep playoff run either way, but it's worth a shot.

Reactions: sipowicz

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not willing to look off this year. I don't think Calgary or Sask are very intimidating, even at home. Then take a neutral site GC who knows. IMO the only team that has outplayed WPG this year is Hamilton. We'll see.

But for those looking forward, the future looks amazing for WPG. They have cap room for days and the FA market looks awesome.

QB's for next year:
BC: Reilly
CGY: Mitchell
EDM: Harris
SSK: Farjardo
WPG: ???
HAM: Evans
TOR: Thompson/Franklin/Collaros
OTT: ???
MTL: Adams

UFA's: Masoli, Nichols, Streveler
Trade Requests: Arbuckle

Hard to believe that Masoli wouldn't vastly prefer Bombers to Ottawa. Hell even if Bombers lose out on Masoli for reasons unknown they are literally the only market for Arbuckle. And we get Streveler back as a backup either. So at worst we are Arbuckle/Streveler at best Masoli/Streveler. Both are great options. But why would Masoli go to a joke in Ottawa when he can join a ready to go GC contender in WPG?

As good as this team is this year, which I still think is a GC contender, they will be even better next year. I think Khari will be our HC next year and this team will be a dominant force. Even if we fade out this year. Walters has really set this team up for years and years of success.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm not willing to look off this year. I don't think Calgary or Sask are very intimidating, even at home. Then take a neutral site GC who knows. IMO the only team that has outplayed WPG this year is Hamilton. We'll see.

But for those looking forward, the future looks amazing for WPG. They have cap room for days and the FA market looks awesome.

QB's for next year:

Hard to believe that Masoli wouldn't vastly prefer Bombers to Ottawa. Hell even if Bombers lose out on Masoli for reasons unknown they are literally the only market for Arbuckle. And we get Streveler back as a backup either. So at worst we are Arbuckle/Streveler at best Masoli/Streveler. Both are great options. But why would Masoli go to a joke in Ottawa when he can join a ready to go GC contender in WPG?

As good as this team is this year, which I still think is a GC contender, they will be even better next year. I think Khari will be our HC next year and this team will be a dominant force. Even if we fade out this year. Walters has really set this team up for years and years of success.

Do you think there's any chance of the Bombers bringing Nichols back? I do.

Also, Walters (mostly) gets a thumbs up from me. He's assembled a good team out of the miss that Joe Mack left him.

I really liked the coaches, especially MOS and LaPo, but after this year I'm ready to move on. I like that MOS is a player's coach and that helps us bring in FA but he hasn't gotten the job done. I hope you're right about Khari coming here – what makes you think this? Also, the defense played better with Hall on leave so that should be more than enough reason to get rid of him if we was out this year.

And for Bighill: I really hope he is still just feeling the effects of his injury and that he's not done now. Hopefully he comes back next year completely healthy and dominant, otherwise we sadly may have to cut him, he's looking a lot like Sam Hurl out there now.

PLEASE use Matthews's money to bring back Jefferson. Man is a game changer. Do everything possible to get him back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairview

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

QB's for next year:

Your optimism is commendable, but there are possibilities worse than your stated worst case scenario. For example: Nichols/McGuire isn't an extremely far-fetched possibility.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Calgary and Hamilton make for two very interesting scenarios.

Arbuckle and Evans have both proven themselves as potential starters going forward. Evans especially as he raises a big "what if?" with Masoli being a UFA in the winter.

The Bombers have options. If the worst case scenario is still having Nichols then honestly? that's not too bad. I'd rather not end up like another Ottawa.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

QB's for next year:

What does it take to pry Khari away from Montreal? I don't know why he'd leave the gig there where he has the Als doing better than expected.

None

Feb 22, 2012
What does it take to pry Khari away from Montreal? I don't know why he'd leave the gig there where he has the Als doing better than expected.

I've heard his offensive coordinator deal with Montreal was only for 2 seasons, 2018 and 2019, so he might be available without any kind of prying but I'm not 100% sure on that. If prying is necessary they'd have to offer him a contract with a title above head coach to satisfy the league's rules on that I think, so he'd be head coach + director of something probably. He'd also be getting the option of picking his free agent QB with the Bombers probably since I expect the Bombers are going to be very willing to spend this off-season.

The uncertainty with the ownership of Montreal would probably be the driving factor in why he might consider another team, despite the success he's found this year. Joe Mack is currently running the Als after they had to fire Kavis Reed for trying to circumvent the cap while the team was owned by the league. I imagine a new owner would at the very least relieve Mack as GM, but probably stick with Khari as long as he's winning.
A new GM might have him on a short leash though to hire his own guy, and if he's looking for stability I think the Bombers have shown they're willing to be patient with their coaches.

It probably helps that Wade Miller played on the same Bomber teams that Khari did, so they're probably very familiar with eachother at least. Who knows how sentimental he is, but it'd make for a great storyline if he came back and led us past Calgary for a Grey Cup :laugh:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Looks like Collaros is starting, we finally get to see what he'll bring
https://www.tsn.ca/report-zach-coll...-blue-bombers-vs-calgary-stampeders-1.1386350
I am going to try doing a mental reset of sorts. As disappointed as I am with the recent display of futility by the Bombers, if we had started the season with Collaros at QB instead of what we went with. I would have been quite intrigued by what the team would accomplish. Injury issues for Collaros aside, I believe the offence would have been more diverse. If we get him in tomorrow, he will have a game to get comfortable, then an off week for more study/practice time. Calgary or Sask will not have a lot to go on to prepare for the new look offence plus they would still have to prepare for a Strevler led offence..that advantage could be huge. Of course, we need both guys to be/remain healthy.
Wishful thinking?

Reactions: snowkiddin

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I am going to try doing a mental reset of sorts. As disappointed as I am with the recent display of futility by the Bombers, if we had started the season with Collaros at QB instead of what we went with. I would have been quite intrigued by what the team would accomplish. Injury issues for Collaros aside, I believe the offence would have been more diverse. If we get him in tomorrow, he will have a game to get comfortable, then an off week for more study/practice time. Calgary or Sask will not have a lot to go on to prepare for the new look offence plus they would still have to prepare for a Strevler led offence..that advantage could be huge. Of course, we need both guys to be/remain healthy.
Wishful thinking?

Collaros was horrible last year, far worse than Nichols. 9TD 14 INT in 14GP. Last time he was even halfway decent was 2016 with Hamilton. That's the thing with Collaros. Even ignoring the injury issues at best you have a Nichols that throws FAR more INT. In his prime he could sling the ball out there, he doesn't have that anymore AND he still makes very decisions with the ball. He's a real bad QB. Make no mistake Nichols is a far better option next year than Collaros. Not that either one is at all in the Bomber's plans.

We would have been better off giving this game to McGuire.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Collaros was horrible last year, far worse than Nichols. 9TD 14 INT in 14GP. Last time he was even halfway decent was 2016 with Hamilton. That's the thing with Collaros. Even ignoring the injury issues at best you have a Nichols that throws FAR more INT. In his prime he could sling the ball out there, he doesn't have that anymore AND he still makes very decisions with the ball. He's a real bad QB. Make no mistake Nichols is a far better option next year than Collaros. Not that either one is at all in the Bomber's plans.

We would have been better off giving this game to McGuire.
I am not worried about next year. As far as whether he has it or not, we are about to find out. More than likely , he is not as bad as you say, nor as good as I hope he will be. If we want to make anything out of this year though, he will likely be our only hope.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I am not worried about next year. As far as whether he has it or not, we are about to find out. More than likely , he is not as bad as you say, nor as good as I hope he will be. If we want to make anything out of this year though, he will likely be our only hope.

Nope. This team will live and die on Streveler. I have zero doubt he will play in playoffs.

Collaros is brutal.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Nope. This team will live and die on Streveler. I have zero doubt he will play in playoffs.

Collaros is brutal.
Unfortunately then the end is in sight. Streveler is banged up and has not been himself since the game in Montreal.
If Streveler can’t go or is knocked out early, then Collaros is the guy.
I don’t have much hope for this team, this year and if Collaros is as bad as you believe, then we are done.
The way that the Bombers have scouted QBs in the last 20 years, I have zero confidence in McGuire and it would seem that the coaches agree.
We will see tomorrow, if Collaros is as bad as you believe.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not expecting Collaros to be good.

We don’t need him to be a perennial all star for us, we just need him to catch lightning in a bottle for three games.

Is it likely? No. But is it really anymore unlikely than winning with a wounded Streveler or a dude like McGuire who has no experience? I don’t think so. We have nothing to lose. I’m willing to give Collaros a chance.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I for one would not want to be responsible for putting Collaros on the field, I would also of not traded for him, he really should of done the right thing and retired for the good of himself and his family, as for the game it's a nothing game for the Bombers and if Streveler can't go I would of loved to seen what McGuire could do or not do.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I for one would not want to be responsible for putting Collaros on the field, I would also of not traded for him, he really should of done the right thing and retired for the good of himself and his family, as for the game it's a nothing game for the Bombers and if Streveler can't go I would of loved to seen what McGuire could do or not do.

Collaros should’ve retired, this is true. Also, a nothing game is perfect for McGuire, I agree. But, it’s good to get Collaros reps in case Streveler gets knocked out in the playoffs.

All of this is likely inconsequential though. Bombers will likely get blown out in the semis no matter who they play at QB.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Well I just got my answer for Streveler, hopeful that with a week off he heals up.

EHpk4_nWoAgGC9c.jpg

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Let's just hope Collaros doesn't get hit hard.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Collaros should’ve retired, this is true. Also, a nothing game is perfect for McGuire, I agree. But, it’s good to get Collaros reps in case Streveler gets knocked out in the playoffs.

All of this is likely inconsequential though. Bombers will likely get blown out in the semis no matter who they play at QB.

In the playoffs anything can happening, I believe that the strength of this team serves inclement weather well and we all know that the weather on the prairies could get downright nasty in the beginning of November, we can beat any team if they keep it simple and keep the mistakes to a minimum, well maybe not Hamilton.:naughty:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
In the playoffs anything can happening, I believe that the strength of this team serves inclement weather well and we all know that the weather on the prairies could get downright nasty in the beginning of November, we can beat any team if they keep it simple and keep the mistakes to a minimum, well maybe not Hamilton.:naughty:

The teams in Saskatchewan and Calgary are pretty familiar with the weather too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad