OT: 2019 Winnipeg Blue Bombers Next Stop the 107th Grey Cup vs. the Ti-Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
What an absolute joke. Calgary gets away with late hits on Streveler, constant holding, and their whiny QB throws his head down and gets smacked and it's a penalty for the Bombers. Absolute bias from the officiating crew and god awful Cuthbert and Suitor commentating.

LaPo and Hall have no business having jobs here and I'm questioning if I even want O'Shea to stay. Six seasons. One home playoff game. One playoff win as of now, coaches have been fired for accomplishing far more than that.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
What an absolute joke. Calgary gets away with late hits on Streveler, constant holding, and their whiny QB throws his head down and gets smacked and it's a penalty for the Bombers. Absolute bias from the officiating crew and god awful Cuthbert and Suitor commentating.

LaPo and Hall have no business having jobs here and I'm questioning if I even want O'Shea to stay. Six seasons. One home playoff game. One playoff win as of now, coaches have been fired for accomplishing far more than that.

I said this before Suitor absolutely wets himself when the Bombers lose, and CC should stick to hockey, as for Proulx he should of retired years ago.

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
I said this before Suitor absolutely wets himself when the Bombers lose, and CC should stick to hockey, as for Proulx he should of retired years ago.

People give Rod Black a lot of flack, and granted he is so damn annoying but Suitor takes it to a whole new level. Praises for every team while constant criticisms for Winnipeg, it's annoying to listen to.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Does anyone honestly envision this team as currently constituted winning a Grey Cup?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Too bad Streveler couldn't get it done. Sounds like he played hard tonight but it still wasnt enough without the pass game. Can't see any way Collaros isnt playing 2nd half of our playoff game once we are there.

I wouldnt write off Streveler yet as a long term CFL QB. But if you aren't able to win from the pocket when teams necessitate it, you cant win in the CFL without being elite everywhere else. Sucks because we are 1/2 of the way there with run game and special teams. But the D and passing game just aren't there.

MOS has his faults but he is a good coach imo. If we had a borderline elite QB he could make it happen I think. But we don't have that, therefore he probably wont either.

I dont think a new coach is going to fix that we have done a great job building the organization up to being elite everywhere but D and passing O. Maybe the D, but that's a big "?" As a new coach fix.

Season isnt over, but I think tonight may have been a good example of our ceiling as a team. Great team effort from special teams and game plan that just fell short when it came down to a 4th quarter comeback. Which is basically a sure thing in football with an elite passing game. I'll keep cheering and hoping. But I dont see any rage firings fixing our limitations.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I agree that we have reached our ceiling. No need for drastic changes though. All we’ve ever needed is just a QB who can pass effectively and is capable of consistently passing over 300+ on any given night.

A Grey Cup this year, and last year, would have been highly likely with a great passing QB added to this already talented squad.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thread was closed this morning when I wanted to post the lineups, so I started a new thread, sorry if I stepped on your toes.

I must have missed it. No worries at all then roster should be posted. But no thread closing comment and closed at a random time. Not impressed with that mods.
But right now I'm more upset with the loss than that for sure lol

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Does anyone honestly envision this team as currently constituted winning a Grey Cup?

Yes...if we had a great QB (ie. not Nichols!) added to our talented roster I couldn’t see anyone beating us. We are just one significant piece short of a Grey Cup.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

I think O'Shea is Walters' grand experiment in having a Canadian head coach. A bad choice for a bad reason. Throw in the persistently meh quarterbacking and Walters needs to go too.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Didn’t bother watching the game tonight but upset to see that my reverse jinx didn’t work :(

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The D is way too talented to be as bad as they are, that’s on coaching. Hall must go. No matter who we bring in to our secondary, they get shredded.

And, obviously, we need a QB. Our lack of a passing game is holding us back mightily.

Unfortunately, I don’t think our scouts are capable of finding a QB on their own. We’re gonna have to throw lots of money at an established, elite QB at some point, or we won’t be breaking the drought any time soon.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Streveler is not a pro level QB. YOu can't win with a guy who can barely throw for 150 yards per game...or throw an interception every 14 attempts.

Bombers would be wise to go after one of Arbuckle - who has displayed more abilities than Streveler with a similar amount of experience - or Masoli as both are free agents this off season. Hire Dinwiddie as OC while you are at it. He has been training under the best management group in the CFL for the past 4 seasons.

This regime peaked in 2017 with a 12-6 record. While they won a playoff game in 2018, it was against a terrible starting QB, and that team was 10-8 during the season, a clear sign of regression from the previous season.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Streveler is not a pro level QB. YOu can't win with a guy who can barely throw for 150 yards per game...or throw an interception every 14 attempts.

Bombers would be wise to go after one of Arbuckle - who has displayed more abilities than Streveler with a similar amount of experience - or Masoli as both are free agents this off season. Hire Dinwiddie as OC while you are at it. He has been training under the best management group in the CFL for the past 4 seasons.

This regime peaked in 2017 with a 12-6 record. While they won a playoff game in 2018, it was against a terrible starting QB, and that team was 10-8 during the season, a clear sign of regression from the previous season.

I totally agree that with Masoli (or even Arbuckle) along with Harris’s run game, we would be the favourites for a Grey Cup.

Reactions: GNP and sipowicz

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

love O’Shea but have to agree

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Streveler definitely needs to get better throwing the ball but i love his running ability , especially to keep drives going . The Bombers didn't lose because of Streveler they lost because they got absolutely no pressure on the QB , he had all the time in the world out there and you can only cover guys for so long . Streveler isn't throwing for 300 yards a game but he almost throws and runs for 300 yards a game . I still say when the weather gets crappy look out for the Bombers in the playoffs .:nod:

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I totally agree that with Masoli (or even Arbuckle) along with Harris’s run game, we would be the favourites for a Grey Cup.
There would have to be a new GM and HC first. There’s a bromance with Nichols right now and they would sign him ahead of anyone else.

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
Streveler definitely needs to get better throwing the ball but i love his running ability , especially to keep drives going . The Bombers didn't lose because of Streveler they lost because they got absolutely no pressure on the QB , he had all the time in the world out there and you can only cover guys for so long . Streveler isn't throwing for 300 yards a game but he almost throws and runs for 300 yards a game . I still say when the weather gets crappy look out for the Bombers in the playoffs .:nod:

Not easy to get pressure when the team gets away with holding on every single play.

Reactions: Jets 31

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

Name the last time a team won the Grey Cup using a QB known more for his running ability? Last I can think of is Damon Allen but he could still throw the ball.

The most telling play yesterday was the interception. Calgary tries to jump every route because they know Streveler will never pass for more than 15 yards. The only time we did, we scored because Calgary didn't know what to do with a receiver running long, and Streveler still under threw it.

If Strevler can't also be a QB, then it just won't work. His running ability needs to add to his passing ability, not replace it.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I also like his toughness and competitive spirit. He's someone others will look to as a leader. Everything else can be learned. And am I imagining it, or did our defense play better during Hall's absence? If Calgary's receivers hadn't been playing hot potato, that game probably isn't close. Crappy weather or not, they've left themselves in a bad position having to win on the road in Regina and Calgary. Stranger things have happened. We'll see.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
134 yards passing. Lovely.

I've said it many times --Streveler is "not" a quarterback. If Nichols was in at QB -we'd have a good chance. The Bombers need to sign a guy like Arbuckle or go down south with "new scouts" and recruit some good QB prospects. It's the only way we'll win.

Some posters who kept calling for Streveler over Nichols, have the same problem our scouting staff does. He's not a QB --unless you can throw accurately--your just not a CFL QB.

I think Nichols is good enough to win with --will likely be here for 2 more years--and then we'll need someone to replace him.

I also don't think Nichols body will hold up for a whole season --so they better get someone for next year, and start to groom the new QB --who will it be. ?

I'd also like to see Zach Collaros get a shot --although you have concussion problems with him.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Name the last time a team won the Grey Cup using a QB known more for his running ability? Last I can think of is Damon Allen but he could still throw the ball.

The most telling play yesterday was the interception. Calgary tries to jump every route because they know Streveler will never pass for more than 15 yards. The only time we did, we scored because Calgary didn't know what to do with a receiver running long, and Streveler still under threw it.

If Strevler can't also be a QB, then it just won't work. His running ability needs to add to his passing ability, not replace it.
Nichols averaged 3.4 yards/throw. At this point is it on the QB? Or is it just how Lapo wants the QB to play? When your QB is too scared to throwmthe ball over 8 yards when you need to drive 70+ yards with under 40 seconds left it has to be on the coordinator to tell him to throw the ball down field and let your receiver make a play or get the P.I. call.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Nichols averaged 3.4 yards/throw. At this point is it on the QB? Or is it just how Lapo wants the QB to play? When your QB is too scared to throwmthe ball over 8 yards when you need to drive 70+ yards with under 40 seconds left it has to be on the coordinator to tell him to throw the ball down field and let your receiver make a play or get the P.I. call.

Your generally right in theory -- but with Steveler at QB -I'd be very shaky calling for him to throw deep passses. He'll just be intercepted, so I can see LaPo's concern.

With that being said --the game is on the line --you may as well take a shot at the long ball --even if it gets picked off --which is likely what would happen.

The Bombers have a good team, but desperately need a QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->