Status
Not open for further replies.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Actually, last time we won a Cup we played Edmonton, and had Tom Burgess as our QB.

I think the Bombers won 3 Cups in the 1980's and had the following Quarterbacks in the lineup.

1) 1984 -- QB for the Bombers was Clements

2) 1986 -- QB for the Bombers was Burgess ( the year here could be 1988 ?)

3) 1990 -- QB for the Bombers was McManus and or Burgess ??

If I'm wrong, please correct me ? I did a little quick research and this is what I found.

Not sure if the Bombers won the Cup in 84 or 86 ?? but one of those years I believe. Also I'm not quite sure how Burgess fits in here ? unless he shared QB duties with Mc Manus ?? in the 1990 win over Edmonton.

For those with the facts -- please add some clarity on this ??

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
You know what I'm drunk enough to post about this. I took heat for the last TWELVE months. I believed that this team will get there. Even when mediocre Nichols went down I believed in this team. We made the right moves discarding guys like Matthews for getting in guys like Collaros. This is a championship team. We may lose our HC and starting QB in the off-season but this TEAM overall makes it work. I think we can this one and win the next one with Masoli/Arbuckle, and Jones. No matter about the next one, this one they've built the overall team for it. I can't wait to see the GC. You might see me on TSN, I'm gonna be there believing until the last moment that we end ridiculous streak of losing in GC this weekend.

TL:DR: **** those that attacked me for liking this team. We have a solid chance this weekend, #ForTheW.

Don't think it's a matter of you being attacked. I personally stopped watching for a few weeks quite simply because I saw and heard the same b.s. week after week from this team and have been disappointed for more years than many on here have even been alive.

The trade for Collaros reinvigorated me because at least we had someone on the roster who could throw the football farther than a 5 year old.

Our D.C. still needs to be run out of town. We beat Saskatchewan in large part because of ineptitude and downright stupid play calling on their part.
Yes our D came up big on occasion but we still gave up 342 yards passing or so and the Inbreds had more rushing yards as well.

We have a 50/50 chance to win on Sunday and anybody who says that they knew all along that the Bombers were going to win if they in fact do on Sunday will be lying through their teeth. You may have wanted this to be the season but unless you really and truly can see into the future all you had was the hope this would be our year.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Of all the teams to make the GC, did not think this year's iteration of the Bombers would do it. With the Nichols injury and just the way the team seemed early on this season. Go figure. Hope you guys get a win finally, I believe I was a month old the last time the Bombers won.
I'm not following your logic here. The way the team was early on this season was 5-0. They had three horrifying, last minute losses to Toronto, Montreal, and Saskatchewan, two of them with their starting QB out injured. Those losses shouldn't have happened, but they did. Had they not, we had a 14-4 team this season.

I know that "what ifs" is a loser's game, but with a healthy team and a bit of luck, the Bombers were, by a wide margin, the best team in the West this season. They played that way at the start of the season, and more importantly, they're playing that way right now, at the end of the season. Put another way, when the Bombers were playing their best football this season, they were considerably better than either Calgary or Saskatchewan were when they were playing their best football this season.

A sports season is always an ebb-and-flow situation. Fortunately, the Bombers ebbed when they did, and now they're flowing.

Reactions: Ducky10

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015

I think the Bombers won 3 Cups in the 1980's and had the following Quarterbacks in the lineup.

If I'm wrong, please correct me ? I did a little quick research and this is what I found.

Not sure if the Bombers won the Cup in 84 or 86 ?? but one of those years I believe. Also I'm not quite sure how Burgess fits in here ? unless he shared QB duties with Mc Manus ?? in the 1990 win over Edmonton.

The Bombers didn't win the Grey Cup in 1986. They finished third with an 11-7 record (just like this year) and lost to the Lions in the Western Semi-Final.

They won three Grey Cups between 1984 and 1990. In 1984 they had Tom Clements and John Hufnagel as QBs. In 1988 they had Sean Salisbury, and in 1990 they had Tom Burgess. Neither Salisbury or Burgess were impressive during the regular season. Salisbury continued by being unimpressive in the playoffs, too, but we had an incredible defense. Burgess got hot at just the right time, and coupled with the still-incredible defense, there was no one that stood a chance against the Bombers in the 1990 playoffs.

Reactions: GNP

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

84- Clements
88- Salisbury
90- Burgess

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
84- Clements
88- Salisbury
90- Burgess

Thanks for that Ducky 10-- I thought you would know this. I worked to many long hours in that time era, to keep track.

I was reading in Wiki -- that McManus had a role in the 1990 Cup ? -- but I think you'd be more correct going with Burgess.

Reactions: Ducky10

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We are gonna do it. I have a good feeling and I don’t always do.

Zacky boy will be our saviour and he’ll be gone. Which is fine.

I would not be so quick to write Zack off -- win or lose -- the Bombers may try to sign him for a 1 year deal, and a great price to start as a backup to Nichols -- which he'd likely take.

With that being said -- I think they should take a serious run at Arbuckle -- he looks like he's got the whole package to me -- great touch.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

I would not be so quick to write Zack off -- win or lose -- the Bombers may try to sign him for a 1 year deal, and a great price to start as a backup to Nichols -- which he'd likely take.

With that being said -- I think they should take a serious run at Arbuckle -- he looks like he's got the whole package to me -- great touch.
Arbuckle is my #1 for starting QB here next year.

Reactions: GNP

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Wonder what lineup changes if any will happen for this game, specifically if Roh, Whitehead, or Couture might be considered if available

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wonder what lineup changes if any will happen for this game, specifically if Roh, Whitehead, or Couture might be considered if available

Irving seems to think Whitehead is a coaches decision. He was moved to 1 game ir last week though. Hard to say but id be shocked it he is in the game.

Couture will play if healthy.

Dont know what's going on with Roh. But considering how long hes been out id be shocked if he plays.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Irving seems to think Whitehead is a coaches decision. He was moved to 1 game ir last week though. Hard to say but id be shocked it he is in the game.

Couture will play if healthy.

Dont know what's going on with Roh. But considering how long hes been out id be shocked if he plays.

Like to see Couture come back if he can at centre and put Speller back at LG, Desjarlais is the weak link on the O line, I know it's his first year and he is learning but Speller is better atm. Whitehead has fallen off the cliff with this team can't say I'm surprised having watched him play with the Cowboys, he is a 1 note player.

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
That game was a lot closer than it should have been. But it ended in the most perfect way, with a botched pass off the upright to send Mosaic into dead silence. I knew it was a great reason to have hope, and although the team lost to Hamilton in the season (the second one was in our three game rut), that means absolutely nothing come playoff time proven time and time again. This team is peaking at the right time, and I can say I'm ready to see my first ever Grey Cup victory! (1996 born)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad