Prospect Info: 2019 Wild Development Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not to hawk the Athletic too hard, but Justin Bourne did have a pretty good article on training camps yesterday.
It was at that camp where I truly began to appreciate the difference between assessing raw tools and a player’s actual ability to have success within a hockey game. In our first scrimmage, Marner looked like he was in fast-forward compared to a game stuck in slo-mo. It wasn’t that he suddenly got fast – he just knew where to go well before everyone else. He suddenly had great puck skills, because he was able to put the puck into dangerous areas without needing David Blaine-esque sleight of hand. And as advertised, his size didn’t matter, because his small frame had the apparent consistency of water. He didn’t need the strength to stand up to a push on his shoulder like an oak in the wind, because that energy just seemed to ripple through him while he stayed strong on his edges.

Oh right. Balance. I guess that’s an important skill too.

What I learned too, was the value of players doing the drills right over trying to impress anyone. The kid was fresh off a Memorial Cup run, having just finished just weeks prior and had been picked fourth overall. The odds he cared about beating Riley Rando down the rink in a skating drill were pretty slim. (Odds are it mattered to Rando, though.) He focused on the techniques being taught.

Reactions: TaLoN

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Got to see both practices yesterday. Here are my humble opinions and observations ...

I like really like Boldy. He's smooth and has excellent hands. (have some videos, but too large to upload here)

Sturm led many of the drills. He seems pretty confident out there. As an older kid who has been to a few development camps, he should be confident. He skated hard and appears to have a great work ethic. He has a quick release and snapped off a couple of good shots.
IMG_20190627_110642.jpg
IMG_20190627_092645.jpg

Lodina stood out in some of the drills. This kid can really use his edges and has good hands.

McBain seemed to be sucking air a few times … didn't stand out in the drills. I think he would stand out more in a scrimmage.

Sokolov looked about the same as last year. I would have thought he would try extra hard to break the rap against him that he doesn't work hard, but I saw him trail last in at least one lap skate and give up early on another drill.

Filip Johansson impressed me with his skating agility. He led most of the drills. It's apparent that he needs work on his shot.

The boards at the Tria Rink were put to the test as Gordeev crashed into them several times. Like most big guys he needs work on agility and skating. He worked hard and coaches seemed to give him extra encouragement.

Simon Johansson looked really good in both his agility and puck handling.

Overall, I like what I saw with the forwards. However, I'm not sure what we have exactly for blueline prospects.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah I tried to pay attention and get something out of this, but it's difficult.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Neither does it for any of us.
To my knowledge, nobody runs around citing us as sources on such things. Despite the fact that more than a few on this board understand the game better than Russo ever could.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Way to turn this into a ‘let’s pick on Russo’. It was only meant to provide some insight on who he liked at camp for those of us who didn’t get to watch it.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'm hearing the Wild have a lot of depth, and there's a Russian kid coming in who's supposed to be great. So what's the problem? Doesn't sound like they need a rebuild.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'm hearing the Wild have a lot of depth, and there's a Russian kid coming in who's supposed to be great. So what's the problem? Doesn't sound like they need a rebuild.

They have no center prospects that project to be Top 6 centers. It's an issue when your #1 is gone in 2 years, and your #2 is gone after next season.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
They have no center prospects that project to be Top 6 centers. It's an issue when your #1 is gone in 2 years, and your #2 is gone after next season.

While it's not perfect, Kunin is looking like a solid top 6 center, and Eriksson Ek and Sturm could/should be 3rd and 4th line stalwarts for the rest of their careers. Ek can play up if needed.

Any of Khovanov/McBain/Beckman/etc. Have solid chances of being something. Statistically we are bound to eventually get a late round steal. It hasn't happened since Haula, so we are just about up again.

It's not ideal but we have a bit of time and a not-terrible future. It could be better, hopefully that is addressed this season with another good draft and continued development from our prospects.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I see absolutely no signs of Kunin being a top 6 C. I hope it happens, but Ek is a better C than him. It's not like we don't have a crying need for a scoring RW...what's wrong with that?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I see absolutely no signs of Kunin being a top 6 C. I hope it happens, but Ek is a better C than him. It's not like we don't have a crying need for a scoring RW...what's wrong with that?
if he is a better C than RW we keep him at C as that's harder to find, that's what is wrong with it.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
While it's not perfect, Kunin is looking like a solid top 6 center, and Eriksson Ek and Sturm could/should be 3rd and 4th line stalwarts for the rest of their careers. Ek can play up if needed.

Any of Khovanov/McBain/Beckman/etc. Have solid chances of being something. Statistically we are bound to eventually get a late round steal. It hasn't happened since Haula, so we are just about up again.

It's not ideal but we have a bit of time and a not-terrible future. It could be better, hopefully that is addressed this season with another good draft and continued development from our prospects.

Projecting Kunin as a top 6 center is a major stretch, especially when he hasn't really played much center at all in the NHL. Rest of those guys have potential, but we really shouldn't expect any of them to become Top 6 centers. That's my issue and it's been the major issue with this organization practically since they were founded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad