Prospect Info: 2019 Wild Development Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Wild prospect camp to be held June 25-28th at TRIA Rink.

Two practices on both June 25 and June 27 at 9:20 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. are open to the public as well as a 3-on-3 tournament June 28 at 6:30 p.m. .

According to Russo,
"Some prospects scheduled to participate include Nico Sturm, Mat Robson, recently-acquired Fedor Gordeev, Connor Dewar, Brandon Duhaime, 2018 first-round pick Filip Johansson, Simon Johansson, Alexander Khovanov, Ivan Lodnia and Jack McBain. The Wild will also invite their soon-to-be 2019 draft picks and likely undrafted free agents that intrigue them."

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No scrimmage? No thanks. No need to see kids going through drills etc.

Not a fan of all stars in a 3 on 3 tournament, why would I be interested in a bunch of not ready kids in one?

Reactions: nickschultzfan

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
No scrimmage? No thanks. No need to see kids going through drills etc.

Not a fan of all stars in a 3 on 3 tournament, why would I be interested in a bunch of not ready kids in one?
Nailed it.

Stream of scrimmage was the best drop of hockey in the summer desert.

Reactions: Jilpat

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I will be attending if for nothing else to get to the rink, but also my 3 year old will be elated. Sounds like they are doing an autograph session so he will love that. Format does seem a little less interesting than in years past but its still something. 3 on 3 sucks but will maybe showcase some of the skill.

Reactions: a79krgm

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I'll be attending, but strictly to see the new facility. It was a lot of fun to see the scrimmages in past years. I was especially nice to get out of the July heat. Some good sized crowds, too. And, the scrimmages were competitive. I remember seeing Reid Duke start a pair of fights.

I never expected to dislike Fenton as much as I do now.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
I went, and while it wasn't as much 'fun' as it was in the past, I'm glad I did. All the drills were skating/passing/stickhandling that ended with a shot on goal (and sometimes began with a shot, too). No line rushes either, strictly individual drills.

All in all, with just the raw skills on display, I'd say Lodnia stood out above the rest. Looks a lot like Granny the way he skates and handles the puck.

Then there was #90, without a name plate, who I could've swore all practice long was our new golden boy Boldy - he was so silky smooth... until I dug up a roster sheet, and it turned out to be... Nikita Nesterenko? :huh: What a nice surprise, the Jersey high school kid no one's ever heard of until 3 days ago. Now I'll definitely go on Friday, I'm super intrigued to see him in actual game situations, even if it's 3-on-3. And there's no way he is only 6'0, he must've hit a growth spurt in the last few months, I'd say he is around 6'2. Thin as a rail though, so 157lbs sounds about right.

As for the actual Boldy? He was alright. Looked a little overwhelmed at first, kept losing the puck a lot. This format was probably not the best showcase for him, but you could definitely tell he has some nice skills.

Best shot is a tie between Duhaime and Sokolov, I'd say.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I went, and while it wasn't as much 'fun' as it was in the past, I'm glad I did. All the drills were skating/passing/stickhandling that ended with a shot on goal (and sometimes began with a shot, too). No line rushes either, strictly individual drills.

All in all, with just the raw skills on display, I'd say Lodnia stood out above the rest. Looks a lot like Granny the way he skates and handles the puck.

Then there was #90, without a name plate, who I could've swore all practice long was our new golden boy Boldy - he was so silky smooth... until I dug up a roster sheet, and it turned out to be... Nikita Nesterenko? :huh: What a nice surprise, the Jersey high school kid no one's ever heard of until 3 days ago. Now I'll definitely go on Friday, I'm super intrigued to see him in actual game situations, even if it's 3-on-3. And there's no way he is only 6'0, he must've hit a growth spurt in the last few months, I'd say he is around 6'2. Thin as a rail though, so 157lbs sounds about right.

As for the actual Boldy? He was alright. Looked a little overwhelmed at first, kept losing the puck a lot. This format was probably not the best showcase for him, but you could definitely tell he has some nice skills.

Best shot is a tie between Duhaime and Sokolov, I'd say.

Did Marshall Warren stand out in any way?

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Did Marshall Warren stand out in any way?
Yes, he did! I was mostly watching the group on the opposite end of the ice that had Lodnia, Boldy, and Sokolov, so didn't see much of Warren. But I definitely noticed him. Good skater, and I probably should've put Warren in the 'best shot' category as well.

Reactions: Minnesota

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Yes, he did! I was mostly watching the group on the opposite end of the ice that had Lodnia, Boldy, and Sokolov, so didn't see much of Warren. But I definitely noticed him. Good skater, and I probably should've put Warren in the 'best shot' category as well.
so I read your negative talk on boldy, how did he look all together? shooting skating passing all that?

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
so I read your negative talk on boldy, how did he look all together? shooting skating passing all that?
Not negative at all. He was in the same group as Lodnia, so got overshadowed a bit. And I was just so impressed with Nesterenko's skill in the earlier group, that it may have altered my expectations for Boldy. After all, Boldy was a 1st round pick, and Nesterenko a 6th rounder, so it only makes sense that Boldy should be way better, right? But we have to remember that this was all about RAW SKILLS - skating, stickhandling, shooting, nothing else. Boldy's best attributes are supposedly his hockey sense, vision, and just the way he plays the game, none of which were designed to be on display in that practice.

Since they were practicing in the same group, so easier to compare, I would rank him slightly ahead of Sokolov in the skills that were displayed. Sokolov has a better shot, but Boldy looked better overall. Lodnia, who was also in their group, was ahead of both.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
good thing I only asked how he looked instead of comparing him then.
Yeah, but the post above my comment was someone comparing them... hence my comment in the first place.

And I was just so impressed with Nesterenko's skill in the earlier group, that it may have altered my expectations for Boldy. After all, Boldy was a 1st round pick, and Nesterenko a 6th rounder, so it only makes sense that Boldy should be way better, right?

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
Yeah, but the post above my comment was someone comparing them... hence my comment in the first place.

I like how you cut off my quote right before I explain what I was trying to say, well done!

And I was just so impressed with Nesterenko's skill in the earlier group, that it may have altered my expectations for Boldy. After all, Boldy was a 1st round pick, and Nesterenko a 6th rounder, so it only makes sense that Boldy should be way better, right? But we have to remember that this was all about RAW SKILLS - skating, stickhandling, shooting, nothing else. Boldy's best attributes are supposedly his hockey sense, vision, and just the way he plays the game, none of which were designed to be on display in that practice.

Since they were practicing in the same group, so easier to compare, I would rank him slightly ahead of Sokolov in the skills that were displayed. Sokolov has a better shot, but Boldy looked better overall. Lodnia, who was also in their group, was ahead of both.

So again, I was only comparing the skating, stickhandling, and shooting. After all, you take all these kids from different leagues and levels of hockey, and put them through some drills on the same sheet of ice for the first time. Isn't it the purpose (at least partially) of the development camp, to see how all these kids stack up next to each other? That's all I was trying to do, and I thought I made it clear exactly what I was comparing.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I like how you cut off my quote right before I explain what I was trying to say, well done!

So again, I was only comparing the skating, stickhandling, and shooting. After all, you take all these kids from different leagues and levels of hockey, and put them through some drills on the same sheet of ice for the first time. Isn't it the purpose (at least partially) of the development camp, to see how all these kids stack up next to each other? That's all I was trying to do, and I thought I made it clear exactly what I was comparing.
You can't compare players in a drill session.

Jordan Schroeder was a practice all star, game day mediocre player in most of those same skills.

He'd flash once in a great while, then not so much the rest of the time.

Drills don't involve thinking to changing situations at game speed. Being able to stick handle cones better than another player means nothing if that other player stick handles actual traffic better.

I saw that part of your post, but I was just pointing out why I made the comment I did... someone took offense, and now you're taking offense... no reason to take it personal here. I made a comment that you can't take anything done in practice drills in a player vs player scenario... at all.

You want to comment on how you felt an individual did... fine, but you can't take that observation and compare it to another player in the drills is my point. Either a player showed some skills in an area or not. No way to know if one player looks ahead or behind another based off that scenario.

My point...
Drills in practice don't tell you much.
Remains the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad