2019 - What is everyone looking forward to?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
There's not a lot confirmed for 2019 yet I suppose.

I'll be giving Anthem a shot, and am pretty excited for Ori and the Will of the Wisps. The Outer Worlds interests me as well.

Of course, if Cyberpunk 2077 drops, I'll be hyped.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Anthem
The Division 2
The Outer Worlds
Kingdom Hearts 3
Borderlands 3 (most likely)

Less hype:

Doom Eternal
Metro Exodus
Sekiro
Respawn Star Wars (maybe)

Pretty stacked year for me. A lot better than this year. No chance cyberpunk is out next year but that's be #1 for sure.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I forgot about Metro Exodus. It looks good.

I always meant to play the Metro series, but alas, they remain stuck in the ol' Steam backlog.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Tales of Vesperia Remaster
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 5
Sekiro
Rage 2
PS4 versions of Trails of Cold Steel 1/2

No dates yet but will almost for sure come out in 2019: Dreams, Fire Emblem, Code Vein, Catherine, Daemon x Machina, Indivisible, Judge Eyes, Granblue Fantasy Re:Link (hopefully), 13 Sentinels (I bet this game is cancelled).

Not banking on Doom or Cyberpunk being ready. Could see Tsushima or Last of Us 2 making the fall. Sony will try to get something out and it sure ain't going to be Death Stranding.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
As of this moment:

Kingdom Hearts III
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Animal Crossing
Catherine

Looking at a few others, but for games that I would really like to have on Day One that we know will be out next year, there's only 4 at the moment.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
If Borderlands 3 releases in 2019 it will be the only game I play from release day until at least the end of the calendar year.

Also looking forward to:
Anthem
The Division 2

Will play and be disappointed by:
NHL 20
Madden 20

That's about it unless another looter/shooter releases that I'm not currently aware of.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Nothing really. Cyberpunk and FF7 remake are the only 2 on my radar and neither are coming out anytime soon.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Cyberpunk 2077 if it even comes out next year.

Other than that, I would say:

Metro Exodus
Devil May Cry 5
Wasteland 3

I'm not sure how much I really want to go through with installing all sorts of different launchers and I don't want to waste my time with Bethesda's but if the games are really good, I'll probably deal with it for Doom Eternal, Rage 2, and Wolfenstein: Young Blood.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I have been looking at what is coming in 2019 and I can't say I'm enthralled.

Cyberpunk 2077 isn't even confirmed for 2019...

I think the issue is something we are seeing more and more often in gaming - development cycles are taking RIDICULOUS amounts of time and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Game takes a while to develop --> leads to higher costs --> studio decides to take more time to develop game to ensure game is a hit and will recoup development costs --> leads to even higher costs --> 10 years later game gets released.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think the issue is something we are seeing more and more often in gaming - development cycles are taking RIDICULOUS amounts of time and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Game takes a while to develop --> leads to higher costs --> studio decides to take more time to develop game to ensure game is a hit and will recoup development costs --> leads to even higher costs --> 10 years later game gets released.

Good point.

We have had a good run since about 2012. If the cycles are indeed getting longer, it is conceivable that we may be heading for a lull.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Only really an issue for the mainstream, billion dollar developer crowd. The AAA space is incredibly flawed and the bubble will hopefully burst sometime soon, but there's still dozens of lower budget games that end up being better every year.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Good point.

We have had a good run since about 2012. If the cycles are indeed getting longer, it is conceivable that we may be heading for a lull.

Only really an issue for the mainstream, billion dollar developer crowd. The AAA space is incredibly flawed and the bubble will hopefully burst sometime soon, but there's still dozens of lower budget games that end up being better every year.

I think we're due for indie surge 2.0

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012

You forgot “Crammed in microtransactions to help recoup development costs”.

I don’t love everything Jim Sterling says about video games or the AAA industry but he nails it on his video about how games don’t cost $60 anymore, it’s a mere starter price for the shell of the game. They’re always making these games bigger and more expensive and then complaining about how expensive it is to make video games when nobody is asking for them to make these gigantic games. We just want fun games. Nobody is forcing them to spend these massive amounts of money on development.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I think we're due for a return of mid-budget games outside of just Japan, and also fewer big budget releases.

See: Activision publishing Sekiro.

Which, honestly, would probably be great for the industry as a whole.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Rage 2 looked surprisingly good at E3 this year, it's probably my frontrunner.
DOOM: Eternal should be solid.
Crackdown 3 could be great.
Resident Evil 2.
The Battletoads reboot is intriguing.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 if done properly (X-Men Legends style plz)
Psychonaughts 2.
Cyberpunk and Halo Infinite if they are released (doubtful).

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Days Gone
The Division 2
The Outer Worlds

If they come out next year:
The Last of Us 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Dying Light 2

Maybe gonna get:
Crackdown 3
Rage 2 - looks like it could be good, but I'll wait to see before preordering lol. I don't trust Bethesda right now

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think we're due for a return of mid-budget games outside of just Japan, and also fewer big budget releases.

See: Activision publishing Sekiro.

I hope you're right.

Which, honestly, would probably be great for the industry as a whole.

It would. Games don't need to be a visual work of art in order to be a great game and I think that is the other fundamental issue that we see. Games like FF XV, KH3, shouldn't take 10 years to develop. FF7 shouldn't take 5-6 years to develop. Big developers are focusing too much on visuals and not enough on game play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad