OT: 2019 Vancouver Whitecaps

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Confirmed today that Blondell is the 19th player to leave the Caps in the offseason. They still only have 1 forward so I'd like to see some more action on that front.

Sounds like we're also on Erik Godoy for a loan. Argentinian CB from Tigre, though he's been sent out on loan for the past couple of years. I'm actually happier with guys coming in on loan rather than transfers because then you're not stuck with someone who sucks (Juarez) for a couple of years instead of just ending their loan. If there's a purchase to buy during the loan, then it works out even better.

Good call. 1040 just announced Godoy's signing.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Good call. 1040 just announced Godoy's signing.

Follow GlassCityFC on twitter, guy has pretty much nailed every signing the Caps have made and that's where I heard about Godoy.

He's also broke that Montero might be the forward returning before anyone else did. Off the top of my head, he's called the Erice, Hwong, Cornelius, Bangoura and Venuto signings and I think he's gotten a couple more at least.

Reactions: Red and lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Follow GlassCityFC on twitter, guy has pretty much nailed every signing the Caps have made and that's where I heard about Godoy.

He's also broke that Montero might be the forward returning before anyone else did. Off the top of my head, he's called the Erice, Hwong, Cornelius, Bangoura and Venuto signings and I think he's gotten a couple more at least.

What are your thoughts on today's two gets?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Congrats from a TFC fan.

You guys are crushing it this offseason, leaving TFC and Montreal behind.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
What are your thoughts on today's two gets?

I'm liking that they come on loans with the option to buy. Rather than taking a big punt on transfers and finding out whether or not they can make it in the league.

I'm glad the Caps solidified the CB position. I think we eventually see Henry lose out on a starting position by the end of the season if the younger guys can push on. I'm liking the Godoy signing (he'll likely be in the starting lineup), don't know a thing about the young striker but from what I've heard, he's got potential. Again, having him on loan with the option to buy certainly helps with making a decision.

Reactions: lindgren

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Fredy Montero officially back with the club. This is definitely going to be an interesting season, and have to say they've made some good moves this off season depth wise.

Whitecaps FC bring back MLS All-Star striker Fredy Montero

The best thing about the deal is that it’s a free transfer. Haven’t heard any more rumours on anyone else we’re looking to get in so I think that might be us done.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
As I think others may have mentioned, the big thing that MDS is doing well is the loan with option to buy deals. Robbo would always buy outright, forcing us into contracts with players who will either not want to play here after a year or don't meet expectations, leaving us stuck with them. Joaquin Ardaiz is a fantastic signing, maybe one of the best this window. I think he'll be starting up top, and he has the potential to earn us quite a lot of money if we buy him and develop him for a few years, he has top league potential.

Reactions: lindgren

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
So.... what are the Caps gonna be this season?

Good? Bad? Somewhere in betweeen?

I'd love to know the reasons why more than anything.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
So.... what are the Caps gonna be this season?

Good? Bad? Somewhere in betweeen?

I'd love to know the reasons why more than anything.

I'm predicting they are going to be bad for the first few games, you don't overhaul a team like the Caps did without having to develop chemistry again. I think the style of play is going to be a lot better than Robinson's style and the only thing I'm going to miss is Davies.

I'm expecting by the middle of June that the Caps will show what they are capable of and I think that they could be a playoff team. Still think they need to improve a couple areas before they can challenge for a cup.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Play on the field looks more exciting but I think it's going to take quite a while for it to be effective. Getting outplayed by Minnesota right now.

Don't like the look of Cornelius and Henry so far. Cornelius is playing out of position and Henry I've never really been a fan of.

Offense looks promising but the Caps need to keep a lot more of the possession so we can see more of it. Lass has made a few fancy moves and I've liked what I've seen from Hwang so far. His passes are a little off velocity wise, but I'd blame the turf more than him, and I think he just needs to adjust to it. Montero has been quiet so far.

Only the first 45 minutes of the season, but things are going pretty much as expected with brand new players and a brand new system with a rookie MLS coach.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Like so far: Inbeom, Erice, Godoy, Henry (great at clearances, terrible at moving the ball out the back 4).

Edit: Godoy and Henry with terrible reads on that goal.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Erice is f***in shit and has been all game

Reactions: clunk

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Typical Whitecaps. Get the early goal and then lose the game. Only caught the tail end but it seemed like fitness might be an issue, a lot of players walking instead of attacking the ball.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Expected start.

I loved what I saw from Hwang. Definitely comes as advertised... and the guy is intense as hell. Absolutely fantastic to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->