OT: 2019 Vancouver Whitecaps

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
A new Sporting Director is absolutely useless unless this team wakes the **** up and decides to actually spend money on established talent, rather than ruffling through the bargain bin. They can name whoever they wanted but until that happens this team will continue to be the joke of the league.
My hope is that this sporting director is actually able to find 'diamonds in the rough'. Hopefully German ones, as our looks in South/Central America have, for the most part, sucked.

I am hoping his European connections allow for much better quality pickups when the team tries to find value, rather than total fails like Blondell et al.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
My hope is that this sporting director is actually able to find 'diamonds in the rough'. Hopefully German ones, as our looks in South/Central America have, for the most part, sucked.

I am hoping his European connections allow for much better quality pickups when the team tries to find value, rather than total fails like Blondell et al.

I just want to know when/if there will be reasons to be hopeful about next season.

I'm on the verge of not paying attention to the Caps unless something changes.

Reactions: clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I just want to know when/if there will be reasons to be hopeful about next season.

I'm on the verge of not paying attention to the Caps unless something changes.
You and me both. Team will lose me if they don't bring in a few players to be excited about. I'm all for being patient, but I feel we as fans have been as patient as we can be. Teams like Seattle, Toronto, Portland, etc are thriving while the Caps are arguably the biggest embarrassment of the league.

The Caps need a big name, very badly. It's one of those things that need to happen to get people to buy into the team again. Some were speculating it could be a Mario Götze tier talent, which I highly doubt. However, a player of that calibre, I feel, would get people interested again.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
So, apparently Davies is now Bayern's starting LB and by all accounts, looking fantastic there. Really good to see. Apparently his two way game is something to behold, which we all knew when we watched him with the Caps. Just started another game, a 6-0 win against Belgrade in the Champions League, and played well.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
So, apparently Davies is now Bayern's starting LB and by all accounts, looking fantastic there. Really good to see. Apparently his two way game is something to behold, which we all knew when we watched him with the Caps. Just started another game, a 6-0 win against Belgrade in the Champions League, and played well.
Don't they have Alaba starting left back? Or have they moved him to CDM?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Still would be in the end useless if ownership continues its past behavior.

IE., any diamond in the rough or player acquired by whatever means that turns out to be valuable will probably just be "sold" and the owners pocketing the 'tranfer fees' like they've done before.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Don't they have Alaba starting left back? Or have they moved him to CDM?
They have Sule and Hernandez out injured, so they moved Alaba to centre back.

The Bayern - Dortmund game is the only one I have caught recently, and Davies looked fantastic. Totally shut down Dortmund's attack on the right side and got up to support Coman well on attack.

Hopefully his offense starts to shine a little more and he gets to play a more attacking role. But for the time being him excelling at LB as a teenager is mighty impressive.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Caps still need someone to deliver the ball to him. Would like to see Eustaquio and a couple of wingers signed too.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
As a very fairweather Caps fan that is just waiting for something worth cheering for, I must ask... what's a Cavallini?
A true #9 that would be among the best in MLS in terms of quality. Very technically gifted in the box and can finish well. Definitely a player capable of 20 in this league.

Now comes, hopefully, the #10.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
A true #9 that would be among the best in MLS in terms of quality. Very technically gifted in the box and can finish well. Definitely a player capable of 20 in this league.

Now comes, hopefully, the #10.

Oooo intriguing. I like goals. This could mean goals. The Caps' problems are certainly beyond one position, and beyond just the players on the field. But this is a good start.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Video above got removed but Davies is unreal. Athleticism, speed, skill, technical ability, just turned 19 and playing amazingly well for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Probably the best soccer talent Canada has ever produced. We were lucky to see him play here.

That's a terrific goal.

Call me old-fashioned, but I appreciate the fact that the goal scorer didn't run away from his teammates. "Look at me! I scored the goal! I did it! It's all about ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Red

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Reactions: lindgren and MS

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
You and me both. Team will lose me if they don't bring in a few players to be excited about. I'm all for being patient, but I feel we as fans have been as patient as we can be. Teams like Seattle, Toronto, Portland, etc are thriving while the Caps are arguably the biggest embarrassment of the league.

The Caps need a big name, very badly. It's one of those things that need to happen to get people to buy into the team again. Some were speculating it could be a Mario Götze tier talent, which I highly doubt. However, a player of that calibre, I feel, would get people interested again.

To be fair that use to be Toronto ... now it's us. I'm hoping we turn the corner here fast.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Late to the discussion here but the Caps lost me a few years ago, the team was taking money from the fans and not putting a good exciting product on the field. Removing Bobby L from any sort of decision making position is a great first step, now the team needs to spend the money they have made from the fans and start putting that into real players. They could easily gain 10,000 extra fans if they get someone like Rooney to play for them. No offence to the guys on the team now but there is no big name to get excited for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad