OT: 2019 Vancouver Whitecaps

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
New year, new season, new thread.

Wow, whose going to score goals this year? For a sport that doesn’t have many goals to begin with and the caps losing all those goals.
The roster is nowhere near complete. The final product may not turn heads, but remember there isn't much they can do yet except with free agents:

xfer-window_zpsuklrmrto.png

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They had a chance to grab the Vancouver fanbase a few years ago and they blew it.

Reactions: lindgren

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Erice looks like he's got some decent distribution and looks like a defensive midfielder. Seems to me that Dos Santos has been building the team from the net out. Concentrated on goaltending and the defense (which was where Vancouver sucked last year), but the loss of Waston will hurt. Will also take some time before the defense plays together to gain chemistry.

Right now, our best offensive threat is Reyna though even though he didn't do much last year, I think Blondell has shown promise of what he could deliver. I don't think he was ever given a fair shake of games by Robinson. I'd guess that Teibert/Felipe/Erice/Rose would be the central midfield players. But I'd like to see a quality CAM and winger join the team (sooner rather than later).

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Whitecaps acquire Venuto. Another young winger, looks like the Caps are prioritizing fast wingers.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Whitecaps acquire Venuto. Another young winger, looks like the Caps are prioritizing fast wingers.
Also the new kit:

DxxJRjGV4AA51AU.jpg:large

(I'm not a fan of the red numbers).

All of the signings originally broken by GlassCityFC on Twitter have been trickling through. Also appears Blondell is on his way out, possibly Juarez (expected, but it seemed they were having trouble finding a taker), and then reports of two pretty big fish being in the mix, most recently reports out of France that Kolbeinn Sigthorsson could be on his way for a 12-month loan.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Also the new kit:

DxxJRjGV4AA51AU.jpg:large

(I'm not a fan of the red numbers).

All of the signings originally broken by GlassCityFC on Twitter have been trickling through. Also appears Blondell is on his way out, possibly Juarez (expected, but it seemed they were having trouble finding a taker), and then reports of two pretty big fish being in the mix, most recently reports out of France that Kolbeinn Sigthorsson could be on his way for a 12-month loan.

I like the design, guess the red numbers were used so that you could see who was playing....

I've heard that Juarez might just be released rather than sold. Don't know about the Sigthorsson but he seems to be able to score at the international level, hasn't shown too much in the past few years at the club level though. Blondell was never given a fair shake under Robinson so it would have been interesting to see if he could have made an impact this year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bangoura and Venuto both look like quality signings.

Bangoura is only 26 and has been a regular starter in La Liga in the past so you’d have to think he should be an impact player at this level.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Thank god we passed on Sigthorsson. Got a reputation as a legitimate striker from the 2016 Euros but his knee injury has completely derailed his career. Lots of rumors of excessive alcohol consumption + lack of fitness as well.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
In-Beom is a really nice signing, quite unexpected to be honest. Venuto looks just like another Techera to be honest. only a few feet taller at 5'3. Maybe a little more explosive. We really needed a distributor like Jon Erice if we're going to play a counter attacking game (which seems to be the idea with the Bangoura signing). MDS has done a good job of bringing in some decent players so far. Also glad we didn't bother with Sigthorsson. Khemiri will be a decent add to the rotation as well.

Also, it seems Anthony Blondell is going to leave

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
As far as I know, MDS' system is pretty much the polar opposite of Robinsons. It's a high press, high pressure system, like AC Milan's 4-3-3 AFAIK. It's going to be very attacking and very exciting. Our wingers will routinely challenge the opposing fullbacks and our team will be higher up the pitch playing a much more aggressive style.

It won't be anything like Robbo's system, imo. Players like Reyna are going to fare much better in it i believe.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
In-Beom is a really nice signing, quite unexpected to be honest. Venuto looks just like another Techera to be honest. only a few feet taller at 5'3. Maybe a little more explosive. We really needed a distributor like Jon Erice if we're going to play a counter attacking game (which seems to be the idea with the Bangoura signing). MDS has done a good job of bringing in some decent players so far. Also glad we didn't bother with Sigthorsson. Khemiri will be a decent add to the rotation as well.

Also, it seems Anthony Blondell is going to leave

Confirmed today that Blondell is the 19th player to leave the Caps in the offseason. They still only have 1 forward so I'd like to see some more action on that front.

Sounds like we're also on Erik Godoy for a loan. Argentinian CB from Tigre, though he's been sent out on loan for the past couple of years. I'm actually happier with guys coming in on loan rather than transfers because then you're not stuck with someone who sucks (Juarez) for a couple of years instead of just ending their loan. If there's a purchase to buy during the loan, then it works out even better.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yes, a lot of these seem to be loans-with-purchase options. As I noted in the first post of this thread, the hand-wringing came way too early this year, considering the North American transfer window still isn't even open. This feels a lot like 2014 where there was a lot of offseason turnover, and then a pretty exciting start to the new season with a new coach and some interesting new names.

In MLS, unless you're Atlanta, Seattle or Toronto, expectations should pretty much always be 50/50 playoff team, though, and the Whitecaps' history very much reflects this, no matter what anyone thinks of their ownership (who should be given some credit, as it appears they genuinely are applying the Davies money and their largest target is still out there). There is a lot of parity and a lot of randomness in low-scoring sports. Pretty much no matter what the Whitecaps do it'll be incorrect to overreact about their offseason.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
In-Beom officially announced as joining the team. Still waiting to see a couple of forwards signed...

Sounds like Toronto's losing Giovinco though, going off to Qatar for $2-3 million.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Does this team have any strikers ? Where will the goals come from ???!!!

Wasn’t there an Iranian striker the caps were rumoured in on?

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

Wasn’t there an Iranian striker the caps were rumoured in on?

Currently we have the home-grown Theo Blair (who's likely going to be the third choice striker) as our only striker. The Caps apparently pulled out of a loan move for an Iceland striker and there's been faint rumours that we might be in on the Irani striker Azamoun but his asking price is likely too high for the Caps. They definitely need two more strikers but I'm betting that they wouldn't have let go of Blondell if they didn't have them lined up. I've been pretty impressed with the moves Dos Santos has made. All I want to see now is two more strikers and to never see Juarez near the first team again.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Again, the North American transfer window isn't even open yet. This isn't the final roster by any stretch.

Anyway, the Whitecaps also signed ex-Orlando City Englishman Scott Sutter, who I assume was only signed for his heart, grit, determination and Viking, Alberta.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
The Caps are out on Azmoun apparently. Disappointing, but apparently MDS wants to sign two strikers before the Caps go to Hawaii, so that's good.

Should see them coming in relatively soon.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
The Caps are out on Azmoun apparently. Disappointing, but apparently MDS wants to sign two strikers before the Caps go to Hawaii, so that's good.

Should see them coming in relatively soon.
Makes sense, too pricey for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad