2019 USports Recruiting

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Is Mitchell Wheaton expected to play this season?

Honestly, I’m not sure they have really improved based on their additions/subtractions this summer. They better hope some of their young guys take the next step this year.

Having said all that, they still finished with a bronze medal last year despite all their rookies + everything they went through.

My annual caveat:

You cannot tell if a team is improving based on new recruits. That's just one-half of the puzzle. The other half is WRT returnees. Some players leave school, change schools, or cannot play due to academic demands. Some graduates re-enroll for a masters. A good looking recruit class can quickly turn insufficient (or vice versa) once you see the roster. And nobody has a 2019-20 roster up yet.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yeah, but who cares about Bronze? And their 9-1 loss in last year's Semi's and 8-0 loss to USK in the 2017 Semi's are a bit if an embarrassment.

I was quite vocal all last season about how I didn’t think St. FX was a particularly good team (they were probably the 3rd-5th best team in the AUS, clumped in with UPEI/Moncton)....and I thought that even when they were able to dress their best team (before they had to deal with all the suspensions). Given all of that, to finish as the 3rd best team in the country is a heck of an accomplishment to me. They definitely overachieved.

I agree with your first post about being too early to judge a team, except my caveat is that Peddle got more out of that roster last season than most other coaches would IMO and maybe he will do it again with a similarly talented team. Basically, I was saying that even though I didn’t think their roster was great on paper last year, he still guided them to a bronze medal at nationals...so at the end of the day, what do I know??

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
As the above post illustrates the Golden Bears really loaded up!

I have followed the program for 40 years, this is deepest recruiting class they have ever had.

Just a reminder on top of not having USports Player of the Year Luke Philp for the Final 50 mins vs UNB, Alberta also didn't have Tyler Soy, a 46 goal scorer one season in the WHL.

So basically Soy, joins Chad Butcher (100 point WHL player, eligible late November), Josh Paterson (30+ goals), Ryan Jevne (30+ goals), Nolan Volcan (30+goal) Noah Philp (75 points) all as top 9 options for Ian Herbers to go along with returning forwards Cole Sanford (50 goals ), Trevor Cox (100+ points) and Steven Owre (88 points) who were top end offensive guys in the WHL.

Both Dawson Davidson and Jared Fredrich were #1 PP QB's in the WHL and will give the Bears lots of options on the back end.

Griffen Outhouse was a #1 goalie (.913-.915) for three years in Victoria.

Alberta will be very deep!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
As the above post illustrates the Golden Bears really loaded up!

I have followed the program for 40 years, this is deepest recruiting class they have ever had.

Just a reminder on top of not having USports Player of the Year Luke Philp for the Final 50 mins vs UNB, Alberta also didn't have Tyler Soy, a 46 goal scorer one season in the WHL.

So basically Soy, joins Chad Butcher (100 point WHL player, eligible late November), Josh Paterson (30+ goals), Ryan Jevne (30+ goals), Nolan Volcan (30+goal) Noah Philp (75 points) all as top 9 options for Ian Herbers to go along with returning forwards Cole Sanford (50 goals ), Trevor Cox (100+ points) and Steven Owre (88 points) who were top end offensive guys in the WHL.

Both Dawson Davidson and Jared Fredrich were #1 PP QB's in the WHL and will give the Bears lots of options on the back end.

Griffen Outhouse was a #1 goalie (.913-.915) for three years in Victoria.

Alberta will be very deep!

I think they have a serious shot at going undefeated in the regular season.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
Just a reminder on top of not having USports Player of the Year Luke Philp for the Final 50 mins vs UNB, Alberta also didn't have Tyler Soy, a 46 goal scorer one season in the WHL

LOL... surprised you didn't mention the 2013 National Tournament... again.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

This might be the deepest recruiting class *anyone* has ever had.

However, it's prudent to at least recognize that the transition from major jr to USports isn't always easy. The increased importance on school, reduced schedule, and adjustment to a new role/system/environment can plague teams with so many rookies. Alberta is likely the undisputed preseason #1, but let's pump the breaks on an undefeated season!

Reactions: Drummer and dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Per Twitter - Mason McCarty ( Rapid City Rush) to Acadia.

Conor MacEachern (SS Capitals) to UPEI.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This might be the deepest recruiting class *anyone* has ever had.

However, it's prudent to at least recognize that the transition from major jr to USports isn't always easy. The increased importance on school, reduced schedule, and adjustment to a new role/system/environment can plague teams with so many rookies. Alberta is likely the undisputed preseason #1, but let's pump the breaks on an undefeated season!

I agree that this is a really good looking recruiting class for the Golden Bears, but I also agree that there aren't enough Top 6 minutes to go around for everyone and incoming players will need to make adjustments. Coaching, mentoring and role development will be important.

I think you have to give UNB's Gardiner MacDougall credit for the fact that he consistently has the most potent "4th lines" in the AUS, and maybe all U Sports. He gets incoming forwards to commit to new defensive responsibilities, and once veterans graduate many younger players appear to seamlessly move up through the lines.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I agree that this is a really good looking recruiting class for the Golden Bears, but I also agree that there aren't enough Top 6 minutes to go around for everyone and incoming players will need to make adjustments. Coaching, mentoring and role development will be important.

I think you have to give UNB's Gardiner MacDougall credit for the fact that he consistently has the most potent "4th lines" in the AUS, and maybe all U Sports. He gets incoming forwards to commit to new defensive responsibilities, and once veterans graduate many younger players appear to seamlessly move up through the lines.
Agreed. I think we've seen similar buy-in and role progression at Alberta in the past, too - albeit never with this big of a recruiting class.
Not to pick on other teams, but to me, this is the biggest difference between a team like Ryerson and the UNB/Alberta tier: Ryerson has arguably had a similar level of success recruiting high-end major junior talent, especially compared to other OUA teams. But the constant turnover, and the lack of new role adaptation seems to be holding them back.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Agreed. I think we've seen similar buy-in and role progression at Alberta in the past, too - albeit never with this big of a recruiting class.
Not to pick on other teams, but to me, this is the biggest difference between a team like Ryerson and the UNB/Alberta tier: Ryerson has arguably had a similar level of success recruiting high-end major junior talent, especially compared to other OUA teams. But the constant turnover, and the lack of new role adaptation seems to be holding them back.

Not only that, but depth is a big one too. There was a very similar makeup between the Concordia/Queens/Carleton teams UNB played at the last three University Cups...they all had one very good top line, one stud defenseman, and a good goalie. Unfortunately, 9 more forwards and 5 more d-men have to play as well and I think that is where those teams would get exposed a bit.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
On recruiting and role clarity for the players.
It is tied to coaching!
Gardiner MacDougall, with all due respects to the other support mechanisms in place at UNB has been the constant theme for the last 2 decades at UNB.
He has elevated the V-Reds program to a top #2 program every year.

Alberta conversely has been good pretty much forever.
But.
Ian Herbers' record over his four years at Alberta (2012-15, 2018-19) has been scary.
Alberta has won the 4 Conference titles in those years, 2 National titles-losing 4-2 in last year's final.
Herbers is 10-2 at Nationals with the Bears outscoring teams 42-20.

The Bears were lucky to have won in UNB in 2018 IMO under Serge Lajoie.
Herbers inherited a team that was a little peremiter and played with a bit of an University Cup hangover when he came back from the NHL.

The 14 recruits brought in this year will be "his" guys!

Herbers goal was to have a team that could come at you in waves...he had that at the '14 and '15 University Cups.
With at least 6 new forwards, all capable of playing top 9 mins and at least 3 new puck-moving D...Alberta will be better able to play that way.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Alberta's success will hinge on chemistry. 14 guys is a lot of new faces, new roles and a feeling out at the start. They might lose a few games trying to figure it out, but once they do (not really an 'if') they will be a hard team to beat.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
How many players are currently on Alberta’s roster now? They certainly didn’t lose 14 players.

The press release announced 9 departures. If you take this new group and the remaining roster you have 32 players.

Now that roster includes three(3) fifth-year players; Hart, Lange & Nickles as well as eight(8) fourth-year guys of which I suspect some are not returning, but have not been announced.

That said - even if they lose 7 more players - they have a roster of 25 while only 18+2G can play, so 5 guys are sitting every night.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The press release announced 9 departures. If you take this new group and the remaining roster you have 32 players.

Now that roster includes three(3) fifth-year players; Hart, Lange & Nickles as well as eight(8) fourth-year guys of which I suspect some are not returning, but have not been announced.

That said - even if they lose 7 more players - they have a roster of 25 while only 18+2G can play, so 5 guys are sitting every night.

It wasn’t mentioned in the press release, but I believe they have also lost Magee.

New recruit Matt Fonteyne will red-shirt this season due to playing in the AHL last year. Also, Luc Smith will begin the season injured....no word on how long he is expected to be out for though.

Interesting that Josh Paterson is foregoing his overage season to play for the Bears.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Per Twitter - Eric Henderson (Hamilton Bulldogs) to Acadia

Rumor has defenceman Morgan Nauss from Chicoutimi also heading there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad