Pre-Game Talk: 2019 UFA "Silly Season" to officially open on July 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Maybe I'm getting too cranky in my old age but I'm having a hard time jumping between the different threads of random speculation, draft talk and potential roster moves related to free agency so I thought I would try and get things sorted out a bit more here.

There is, of course, lots of chatter around what the Bruins may or may not do. To me, Ferland is a perfect UFA addition as he has enough skill to play with top-line players but also brings big, nasty power forward game. $ and term will be the question with Ferland. Sweeney has understandably gone power forward gun-shy after B&B and the result is a forward group without enough size or grit compared to a big, nasty team like St. Louis/ Washington.

I've heard some interesting chatter that I may run by some mods later --but for now, let's start listing the players and rumors out there in one happy thread. I'll start with a slightly outdated list: https://thehockeynews.com/ne

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
I wouldn’t be a big fan of throwing 5+ million per for a guy who only has one 20 goal season. Money can be better spent elsewhere imo. And he’s a left shot which we have plenty of

Reactions: bbfan419

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Wow that list screams stay away. . Ignoring the goalies. the top 3 is very good. I like Pavelski, but wouldn't want to go more then 3 years, and that won't get a deal done. I like Lee, but man I don't think I will like him at anywhere close to 7/50+

After that, there is a whole pile of deeply flawed players who are likely to be badly overpaid by someone

Although to be honest, I'd put Mojo and Dzingel WAY higher on the list than they are here

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Want no part of Ferland. We’ve blown enough money on broken down senior citizens for big money contracts.

Brandon Tanev is intriguing.

As is my my old fave Thomas Vanek (yes, he’s old but could be had for cheap) and he can still be effective.
Ferland is 27 and has been in the NHL for 3 years. Not exactly broken down. That kid Vanek though, he brings what the Bruins need, youth, size, grit and goal scoring

Seriously I would love Ferland, would like Anderson and Wood more but they will cost a lot if they can be pried away from NJ and CLB. I also have no idea how Vanek did last year but I want an impact scorer if they dont get size and toughness.

Ferland as a UFA is the perfect fit to me then add Clifford from LA to the 4th line mix

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Habs have been linked to MOJO --seems like he is destined to become a Bruins killer. Also, Ferland isnt broken down yet, but he holds nothing back (like a McQuaid) and that leads to injuries.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Would CBJ trade Anderson for DeBrusk? They have lots of big forwards already. Would Boston? Anderson is a unique player in today's NHL....
I love Anderson, but I'm not sure the price we would have to pay would make us a better team.

Guy also takes some pretty boneheaded penalties at the worst times.

As for the Ferland conversation I think hes going to go the way of most power forwards and will look like an awful contract by year 3 or 4.

Reactions: Memokerobi

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Re-signing Johansson should be plan A when it comes to free agency.

This. Got to try and get him to agree to something similar to the 5x 5.x5 deal Eberle just inked.

We lose him we are officially a 2 line team and enjoy some pathetic 3rd line like Heinen-JFK-Donato.

Reactions: TD Charlie

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Ferland is 27 and has been in the NHL for 3 years. Not exactly broken down. That kid Vanek though, he brings what the Bruins need, youth, size, grit and goal scoring

Seriously I would love Ferland, would like Anderson and Wood more but they will cost a lot if they can be pried away from NJ and CLB. I also have no idea how Vanek did last year but I want an impact scorer if they dont get size and toughness.

Ferland as a UFA is the perfect fit to me then add Clifford from LA to the 4th line mix

Count me in on Ferlund as well but the Beleskey failed experiment might give the Bruins a pause for concern, and rightfully so.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Count me in on Ferlund as well but the Beleskey failed experiment might give the Bruins a pause for concern, and rightfully so.

That is where I am with Ferland also. Beleskey parlayed one 20 goal season into that trainwreck we all got to watch up close. Then there was Hayes, Jimmy. Backes, David. I don't know. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see the Bruins get an effective guy in that mold but we haven't had the best of luck recently.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Paying Carlo and McAvoy will dry up most of our cap this summer. Wont have enough cash to play around with to sign any UFAs outside of Acciari.

Will have to move some larger contracts if we want to make any noise bringing in help, which we need on the 2nd line.
Either Sweeney makes some big noise in moving contracts in order to get some room to take in a Nathan Horton-type via trades or he relies on the kids coming through to fill holes.

Heinen and Kuhlman/Cehlarik with Coyle is a decent two-way 3rd line. Offense will be lost without Johansson, but Kuhlman/Cehlarik/Senyshyn/Bjork are workable fillers.
We still have a huge gaping hole at 2RW. Even more pronounced after a finals where our 2nd line did very little offensively.

If we are to try and get back to the big show we need 2 wingers that can drive offense for the 2nd and 3rd lines. If Don can get creative and make cap room to keep Johansson, that solves the 3rd. But then we still have no room for the 2RW issue. No offense to Kuhlman or Bjork, but they are filler not a solution.

For Sweeney to fix the holes and make the team another contender he will have to move some guys and make some hard decisions that wont be popular in the room. Or he is stuck hoping the kids can step up. He did that last season and it both worked out(Cliffton/Kuhlman) and didn't(Offense dried up at long stretches in the finals series.) We need to have 4 lines that can roll and be dangerous. Our first line is dangerous when healthy and not shut down by the other team, the 2nd line is sporatic and incomplete, the 3rd will look very different without Mojo. The 4th may look different without Acciari, but we have plenty of players that can play 4th line roles(Backes/Nordstrom/Wagner/Blidh/etc.)

Will be very interest to see what contracts shake out in the next 2 weeks for our RFAs/UFA and then at the draft. Depending on what DOnny does at the draft will tell us how next year will shake out. He's all in or he is rolling the dice on the prospects to fill in again.

Reactions: AM Bruin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Two things about Ferland bother me.

1) His injury history. His style is balls-to-the-wall and I think it will be difficult to count on him to be healthy and ready to go come playoff time.

2) Expectations - If he was going to be brought in to be a 3rd line power winger/physical presence, I think he'd do just fine. He's a complimentary player, sure he can sub into a 1st or 2nd line but ideally that's not where he should be. Bring him in for the same role Maroon had in St. Louis during their cup run and he'd be a valuable asset. Unfortunately he'll be getting a contract where he'll be paid to be more than that, and in a cap system can you afford to pay a player what he will likely get in the open market to be in his ideal role lower in the line-up. If he was a center like Coyle you could justify it given the importance of centers in today's NHL. I just don't know if you can make that investment in a winger.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Zero interest in Ferland.

Anderson, on the other hand? Hell yes! I don’t really know why Columbus would give him up.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That is where I am with Ferland also. Beleskey parlayed one 20 goal season into that trainwreck we all got to watch up close. Then there was Hayes, Jimmy. Backes, David. I don't know. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see the Bruins get an effective guy in that mold but we haven't had the best of luck recently.

Beleskey year 1 gave us exactly what we paid for and the signing would have been great if he maintained it though we wouldn’t be bragging about his cap hit or anything not a ‘steal.’ He wasn’t old either and was a perfect age. But he got fat then got hurt and he wasn’t that good to begin with so it was ugly. And while physical he wasn’t big. It’s not the end of the world if Ferland is a 3-4 mil guy making 5 he just can’t become AHL vet minimum fodder. Don’t think that would happen.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not if you acquire someone else. Why is it Mojo or nothing?

Think the exclusive rights window should not be taken for granted. You wanna bid against the Habs or Devils they gotta spend that cap space somewhere.

I’d have grudgingly swapped him out for Eberle despite preferring Johansson but that’s not an option anymore.

I think the only better players are the Panarins.

He’s a perfect fit don’t mess it up and not appreciate it. The forward core is a little overrated IMO luckily they don’t break the bank give them some depth/help ie sign Coyle and Mojo to be here long term. They are also both significantly younger than Bergy Marchand and DK.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Beleskey year 1 gave us exactly what we paid for and the signing would have been great if he maintained it though we wouldn’t be bragging about his cap hit or anything not a ‘steal.’ He wasn’t old either and was a perfect age. But he got fat then got hurt and he wasn’t that good to begin with so it was ugly. And while physical he wasn’t big. It’s not the end of the world if Ferland is a 3-4 mil guy making 5 he just can’t become AHL vet minimum fodder. Don’t think that would happen.

You're right, Beleskey was good first year. Too bad contracts for guys in that tier of player (real or apparent) don't sign for 1 or 2 seasons. It just seems likely that Ferland gets more than 3-4 based on what the market has been, and there will be term attached, too. I imagine the Bruins kick the tires on him at least and see what he's looking to get. If a good deal is there to be had then sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->