GDT: 2019 UFA Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
Lots of talent. He has good size, speed, vision, incredible hands and a great shot. This guy next to Hughes or Hischier would be sublime.

Watched for a few minutes. Kind of reminds me of Kovalchuk. Just a little smaller version. Sneaky. Great hands and nice release on his shot. As you mentioned... he would look really nice on the right side of Hischier or Hughes.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Watched for a few minutes. Kind of reminds me of Kovalchuk. Just a little smaller version. Sneaky. Great hands and nice release on his shot. As you mentioned... he would look really nice on the right side of Hischier or Hughes.
Except he plays LW and his sweet spot seems to be sniping from the left circle.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
We want the golden Goose(ev)

Make it happen Rejean!

And I want a feast
I want a bean feast

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Meh, send him a gift basket with some Rosetta Stone.

Only thing that worries me about him is that hockeydb has him listed at 5’9, 154 pounds lol

He looks bigger then that. He is a stocky looking guy. I think the KHL's size and weight are much closer to what he is. 5'10 180.

I wouldnt be trading away Zacha, i feel like people for get he is still very young and also power forwards take longer to develop. Plus we need his size.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Like Wood, Coleman, Zajac, Hayden, Simmonds, Bastian, Anderson ??

Yes, but how many of those can be rotated into the top 6? Simmonds? Face it. Right now Zacha and Simmonds are the only capable guys of size to slot into the top 6 atm. Maybe at the end of the season that could change.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Yes, but how many of those can be rotated into the top 6? Simmonds? Face it. Right now Zacha and Simmonds are the only capable guys of size to slot into the top 6 atm. Maybe at the end of the season that could change.

You're acting like Zacha plays anywhere near his size at the moment. Down the middle the team is strong and Zacha/Mcleod are very expendable at the time. If this team loses Zacha for soemthing of a greater need than that's something they can easily swallow. I like Zacha and want him here long term but come on the guy plays like he's 5'8 most of the time.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
You're acting like Zacha plays anywhere near his size at the moment. Down the middle the team is strong and Zacha/Mcleod are very expendable at the time. If this team loses Zacha for soemthing of a greater need than that's something they can easily swallow. I like Zacha and want him here long term but come on the guy plays like he's 5'8 most of the time.
What kind of return do you actually think Zacha would return to actually warrant trading him? I'm not saying he's untouchable but what value would he actually bring back that would fulfill a greater need? I guess Shero usually does pretty well in trades but right now I think he has more value to NJ than he does as a major piece in a trade but who knows with Shero

Devils need depth anyways and Zacha can play both wing and center -- we saw what injuries do to a team. Besides that Zajac is 34 years old, Hughes hasn't a played a game at center yet, and Zacha is good on the PK and will be on a cheap contract. This team can be set up so that when Zajac declines that Zacha can take that role and the Devils don't have to go out on overpay a declining vet to fill a 3C role.

Last edited:

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I just wish Zacha would play like an Alpha Male ... he's got all the talent you'd want, but lacks that killer instinct that the good ones have. I'm not sure that part of the game will ever come, but I'd be willing to wait another year or two to see if it does.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If Zacha is dealt than you're looking at Nico, Zajac, and Hughes. I wouldn't say that's strong. If Nico or Hughes gets hurt and we've shipped of Zacha, you're then kinda screwed no?
Take out the top 2 centers of ANY team and it doesn't look pretty.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I can see inevitably having to part with one of Zacha, Bratt or Wood to shore up another position.

I don't want to part with any of them, but eventually you have to take your surplus value in one position to improve another.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
If Zacha is dealt than you're looking at Nico, Zajac, and Hughes. I wouldn't say that's strong. If Nico or Hughes gets hurt and we've shipped of Zacha, you're then kinda screwed no?

Cant you say this about any team if they lose a top 2 center?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
What kind of return do you actually think Zacha would return to actually warrant trading him? I'm not saying he's untouchable but what value would he actually bring back that would fulfill a greater need? I guess Shero usually does pretty well in trades but right now I think he has more value to NJ than he does as a major piece in a trade but who knows with Shero

Devils need depth anyways and Zacha can play both wing and center -- we saw what injuries do to a team. Besides that Zajac is 34 years old, Hughes hasn't a played a game at center yet, and Zacha is good on the PK and will be on a cheap contract. This team can be set up so that when Zajac declines that Zacha can take that role and the Devils don't have to go out on overpay a declining vet to fill a 3C role.

I said to fill a hole of a greater need, so that would be the return I would warrant trading him. So in a trade for Gusev or a trade for a top 4 LHD, not saying either is likely but that is what I meant. I would prefer Zacha to be here unless that option is possible because of the reasons you listed. But as of now Zajac as your 3C and Hayden/Rooney/Mcleod as your 4C is good to me. Mcleod I think can eventually be a 3C to replace Zajac if we trade Zacha, but I have more faith in Zacha because he's already shown to be a great defensive Center. Preferably I would trade mcleod before Zacha.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We have a lot of leverage over Zacha with this current RFA deal so he probably wants a bridge contract. I'd push for more term with a smaller hit but that's unlikely to happen.

I'd prefer to ship out McLeod in a package. I don't think much of him at all, though so we'll have to juice his value a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad