GDT: 2019 UFA Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I see Columbus desperately going after the top wingers left like Lee, Johansson and Nyquist. Hope they overpay someone big time that they're losing their stars.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Expecting a quiet day for the Devils, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not sure how many times there have been great signings on July 1.
I think a quite FA this time around would be a disappointment, not necessarily damaging.

At some point you need to sign a free agent or two lol, there is a such thing as wasted cap space when it accrues over the life of an average contract - that can be seen as a negative when it comes to having contracts spread out

Edit: OR acquire via trade. I didnt necessarily mean FA but it is interesting how little free agency we participate in. I expect we have another trade in mind

Last edited:

HITMAN88

Jun 29, 2011
Sandanski
After all that leaked information about teams signing players here and ther and nothing about the Devils, I think Shero is doing his magic, under the radar stuff (devil laugh). I think Ferland will be a perfect fit in New Jersey on a line next to Hughes. Ferlands resume is that he can play very good hockey on a line with skilled players that are not physical(Aho, Johnny Hockey).
A sighning like that or a trade or two for a top 6/9 winger and another top 4 D?
I think that kind of scenario is more possible than not :)

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
After all that leaked information about teams signing players here and ther and nothing about the Devils, I think Shero is doing his magic, under the radar stuff (devil laugh). I think Ferland will be a perfect fit in New Jersey on a line next to Hughes. Ferlands resume is that he can play very good hockey on a line with skilled players that are not physical(Aho, Johnny Hockey).
A sighning like that or a trade or two for a top 6/9 winger and another top 4 D?
I think that kind of scenario is more possible than not :)
Ferland would be an interesting grab for sure. Cant say I know too much about him other than he’s physical. Numbers arent bad

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Ferland would be an interesting grab for sure. Cant say I know too much about him other than he’s physical. Numbers arent bad

Ferland I would be ok with for depth. He’s a middle 6 add where I am hoping for 1 more top 6 besides our young guys who may earn a role.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
He's really going to say that when he sits down with Hall and Hall is like "So Ray, this guy named Panarin just got 12 million a year...".

I’m closer than I thought I would ever be to saying something very negative about Halls. Ext contract. Free Agency is today though so I won’t open up that can.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Ferland I would be ok with for depth. He’s a middle 6 add where I am hoping for 1 more top 6 besides our young guys who may earn a role.
Well remember Ferland next to Hughes may be a different story, we have to credit our centers for helping the wings

Id also prefer a known top-6 add but idt we get that

Reactions: Ripshot 43

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Ray Shero does his best work under the radar. I expect him to continue with his draft-day trend of making the Devils a more physical team. I would look out for a short deal for Wayne Simmonds or a slightly longer one for Anders Lee or Michael Ferland.

The Devils are about to have an elite center duo in Hischier/Hughes, but neither player is known for physicality -- and both are going to be game-planned against with very chippy play. Having a big, physical winger to play on the second line with Hughes has certainly been a point of discussion in the Devils front office. Lee or Ferland in particular would be nice fits, though it's debatable whether Simmonds can handle a top-six role in the future. On a one or two year deal at the right price, he still might be an option if the Devils are outbid on Lee and Ferland.

Lastly, I can see the Devils going for a very small-money depth RD like Alex Petrovic and a familiar veteran to compete for the 4th-line C role like Brian Gibbons or Mark Letestu.

It would be unrealistic thinking to hope that the Devils make a huge splash in free agency. There will be no Panarins or Duchenes, and ultimately this will be for the best. Let the other teams be idiots and offer 5-years deals to 32-year olds like Mats Zuccarello. The Devils need to make one solid move for a mid-six power forward and then concentrate on re-signing Taylor Hall to a long-term deal.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
lets hope we just add a couple of lower signings like the last couple of years, keep trading and add the big players that way. Following from Mallorca with the sun in my eyes.

My hope for today: Ferland - Maroon - Hainsey.

We need some toughness to supply our skillede players and a veteran d man who can PK is key..

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Has there been anything about Gardiner? Maybe I missed but feel like I've not seen much about where he's going.

Gardiner is so disastrous in his own zone, buyer beware. I can seem him winding up on a team like Edmonton, where they can bury him at even strength behind superior LD like Nurse and Klefbom and then utilize him on the power play, which is pretty much the only place he is consistently effective.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ray Shero does his best work under the radar. I expect him to continue with his draft-day trend of making the Devils a more physical team. I would look out for a short deal for Wayne Simmonds or a slightly longer one for Anders Lee or Michael Ferland.

The Devils are about to have an elite center duo in Hischier/Hughes, but neither player is known for physicality -- and both are going to be game-planned against with very chippy play. Having a big, physical winger to play on the second line with Hughes has certainly been a point of discussion in the Devils front office. Lee or Ferland in particular would be nice fits, though it's debatable whether Simmonds can handle a top-six role in the future. On a one or two year deal at the right price, he still might be an option if the Devils are outbid on Lee and Ferland.

Lastly, I can see the Devils going for a very small-money depth RD like Alex Petrovic and a familiar veteran to compete for the 4th-line C role like Brian Gibbons or Mark Letestu.

It would be unrealistic thinking to hope that the Devils make a huge splash in free agency. There will be no Panarins or Duchenes, and ultimately this will be for the best. Let the other teams be idiots and offer 5-years deals to 32-year olds like Mats Zuccarello. The Devils need to make one solid move for a mid-six power forward and then concentrate on re-signing Taylor Hall to a long-term deal.

Anders Lee is signing in Chicago or Montreal for max term at $8 million. He isn’t coming here.

Simmonds is shot. We should be avoiding him.

Reactions: Darkauron

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
lets hope we just add a couple of lower signings like the last couple of years, keep trading and add the big players that way. Following from Mallorca with the sun in my eyes.

My hope for today: Ferland - Maroon - Hainsey.

We need some toughness to supply our skillede players and a veteran d man who can PK is key..
Other than Ferland the other two just feel like signing guys for the sake of signing guys. If the Devils sign Hainsey the only spot that would be open for Smith is if someone gets injured.

Ferland would be nice for this year but I would avoid whatever contract he gets.

I rather the Devils just not sign any of the mid tier guys to long term deals and not give spots to over the hill veterans

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
I'd love Ferland at 4x4.5 and Sekera at 2x2 for the Lovejoy spot. Trade or offer sheet for Vrana. Maybe Maroon at 2x1.5 for depth. No big moves.

Unless it's Marner, but that's going to be 7x12 and four 1sts (or a shrewd trade for rights), so... nah.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wouldn't be surprised if we made a Boyle type signing today, but beyond that I think it'll be the typical Devils free agency (complete with all the usual "why didn't we do that" circular arguments when players sign elsewhere).

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Im fine with some veterans. Shero Can trade thoose away for second round picks. We need them second round picks so shero Can fool some gm later.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I thought during the FA “talk period” they were t allowed to discuss financial terms? Yet everyone seems to have done that lol.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

yeah i rather have a kid earn a spot there or give them a chance rather then sign ferland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->