World Cup: 2019 U17 World Cup

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@YNWA14, there's a thread made for all these FIFA youth tournaments. I don't know why you are insisting that this tournament is discussed in that other thread. I think it's a big enough tournament with enough interest to generate a separate thread, and that other thread is already used plenty.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Didn't think I was being too insistent. I mentioned it, and had already posted in there a bunch about it. The youth topic was made because most of these topics on separate youth tournaments don't get much discussion then disappear.

New Zealand will be a bit hard done by to come out of this with a loss. Brazil obviously playing down a man but haven't been too impressive in general. I expected a lot more from Magno tbh.

EDIT: lol what a horror show from the NZ keeper. Magno absolutely gifted a goal and that'll do it for them.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
NZ gave Brazil problems with their size and toughness, 8 of their 11 starters are 1,80cm or taller that's quite impressive for a u17 side.

Talles Magno should be playing as the striker, not a fan of him as a winger. Veron is the only natural winger and has been Brazil best player so far, only one with pace and aggressiveness to take on defenders and make things happen.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Didn’t see the game but the Netherlands lost 3-1 to Senegal. No idea what has happened to them between the summer and now but it’s a pretty abysmal showing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA coach benched his two best players after losing to Senegal, including the captain. What a disaster. I guess tying 0-0 with Japan isn't terrible, but we likely need to beat Netherlands now to get to the next round. I don't see that happening, and it would probably be undeserved. This team has looked outclassed by Senegal and Japan. Thats pretty bad.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Was at work while watching Argentina and Cameroon. Zeballos is one of those frustrating players where he will get you off your seat with a brilliant move but he would also make you throw things with a terrible decision. 180 mins in and I'm already screaming at him. Palacios still yet to break out offensively but even though he hasn't really shown up on the scoresheet the IQ and talent is clear to see. I think he's best attribute is his IQ at this point. Just incredibly smart on the ball.

Argentina played relatively well and even with a quick goal against they managed to not sulk played their game and took 3 points. However, the scoreline flatters them a bit, Cameroon could've easily gotten a result. Some bad luck with injuries and a terrible keeper mistake ensured Argentina walk away with the win.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
the USA players are scared of taking chances in the final third. they take way to long to make up their mind in attack and rarely go at a player and take a shot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
US team was outscored 7-1 in the group stage, and registered one point. Abysmal performance, but it was not a surprise. This specific team is an all-around complete disaster.

Reactions: John Pedro

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nice to see the young Oranje rebound and finally find their feet a little against a struggling US squad. Hopefully the confidence boost they needed to reset and show their talent a little more in the knockout stages. Unuvar has been uncharacteristically bad by his standards in this tournament, even in the 'demolition' of the US so if he can turn it on now that would be nice though they will be in tough against Nigeria who have historically been powerhouses (rightly or wrongly) at these tournaments.

Round of 16 is up:

5 November – Goiânia (Olímpico)
Angola v South Korea

6 November – Gama
Japan v Mexico

5 November – Goiânia (Olímpico)
Nigeria v Netherlands

7 November – Cariacica
Paraguay v Argentina

----------------------------------------

6 November – Goiânia (Serrinha)
Spain v Senegal

6 November – Goiânia (Serrinha)
France v Australia

7 November – Cariacica
Ecuador v Italy

6 November – Gama
Brazil v Chile

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
It was a stroll for Argentina. Cano had a goal disallowed for offside and the Tajikistan penalty was pure fortune. Aimar has these kids playing like the senior side of the early 2000s. They pass in neat triangles, then hit a longer pass and speed the tempo up gradually. They just wore Tajikistan out chasing the ball.

He introduced Palacios and Godoy late on and they quickly scored two with Palacios providing an outrageous roulette pass for Godoy. Orozco impressed out wide doing what all good wingers do attacking the box. Tomas Lecanda of River Plate was also mightily impressive. Outpaced Rustam with comfort, made two neat interceptions, was solid and strong in the tackle and excellent carrying the ball forward and passing it into midfield.

That defensive group of Amione, Lomanaco, Flores and Lecanda look extremely promising following on in the wake of the emergence of Perez, Balerdi, Romero and Foyth as CB prospects after the long dearth of finding CBs of a high ceiling for over a decade for the Albiceleste.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It was a stroll for Argentina. Cano had a goal disallowed for offside and the Tajikistan penalty was pure fortune. Aimar has these kids playing like the senior side of the early 2000s. They pass in neat triangles, then hit a longer pass and speed the tempo up gradually. They just wore Tajikistan out chasing the ball.

He introduced Palacios and Godoy late on and they quickly scored two with Palacios providing an outrageous roulette pass for Godoy. Orozco impressed out wide doing what all good wingers do attacking the box. Tomas Lecanda of River Plate was also mightily impressive. Outpaced Rustam with comfort, made two neat interceptions, was solid and strong in the tackle and excellent carrying the ball forward and passing it into midfield.

That defensive group of Amione, Lomanaco, Flores and Lecanda look extremely promising following on in the wake of the emergence of Perez, Balerdi, Romero and Foyth as CB prospects after the long dearth of finding CBs of a high ceiling for over a decade for the Albiceleste.
This team look very impressive and Aimar has them playing organized possession footy. Great to see, wonder what he will do after the the tournament? Take a gig in the superliga or stay on assisting Scaloni.

and HOW DARE you not include Paulandro Martini? He's the best of the bunch so far.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Looks like the Netherlands have found their feet a little. A very back and forth game and not dominant by any means, but coming away with a 3-1 (Sontje Hansen hattrick) win against Nigeria is no small feat. Hansen is really heating up and hopefully can keep this confidence and form throughout the rest of the tournament.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Oranje’s coach is laughable. Playing the long ball tactics when you have all the ingredients to play tiki taka and totaal voetbal for the first two games was absolutely comical. It frustrated the entire community supporting Oranje. Not to mention vs Senegal (physically superior players) and Japan (who kill you with fitness, pace and smarts) - it just shows a lack of competence.

Oranje played their own game vs the USA and it showed. I thought they were the better of Nigeria in the end, but they had some shaky moments defensively. Raatsie once again showed he’s an average goalkeeper prospect. The story for me, aside from Hansen turning it up a notch, is the no show that Unuvar has been. Even being taken off at half time last night. Never seen him play this invisible for a stretch in his career, while his teammates are all mostly his own mates from Ajax. He’s not playing his preferred position, but there’s something else going on I assume.

Reactions: YNWA14

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Diego Rosa, 3-2 Brazil.

fantastic shot

Henrique, it's over!
EIuz6zUXUAAnB1G

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mbuku did some work for France today. Don’t remember him having an impact in the Euro. They have a very good team and wouldn’t be surprised at all for them to make the final or win it all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If Argentina take care of business tomorrow it sets up a Netherland vs Argentina match up. What do you honk about the match up @YNWA14 and @Ajacied
Honestly it's hard to tell. I think if the Euro form Netherlands show up Argentina are going to be facing an uphill battle because the team is completely stacked with talent. Their coach is a knob though and has not really played to their strengths at all. Personally I think the addition of Braaf, along with Taabouni being suspended is a plus for the Netherlands because Hansen is frankly better than Brobbey through the middle and seems to be full of confidence at the moment. They'll be in real trouble if Unuvar stops his disappearing act, too. However, if they resort to longball and the players who are out of form continue I could see guys like Palacios and Zeballos really wreaking havoc on a team that has looked extremely disjointed at the back. Should be a good game either way though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina dominated the ball with 70% possession. Paraguay threatening on the counter though at least early on. Stretching Argentina’s midfield and defence. Although they dealt with it well as the half went on. Zeballos has been much better his runs are much more logical and less erratic. Scored a nice header although the keeper should’ve dealt with it better.

Palacios give a exquisite through ball to Fernandez I think it was who almost finished it off with a robona. Argentina just have to play the same way it’s a wrap. Aimar has this team humming. Best youth team I’ve seen play for Argentina in some time. They can go all the way... if they play like this. Big if tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad