GDT: 2019 Trade Deadline (Two Sabres trades!!)

How many trades do the Sabres make?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
yeah I can't say I've heard any legit rumors about Wennberg to BUF or McCabe being on the block. This place is like the telephone call gossip game . :laugh:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
McCabe is probably the team’s most valuable piece that isn’t a core piece or the current GM’s choice player. And we have extra LDs in the club at the moment.

Wennberg is at a seriously buy low price at the moment.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
We have 3 credible NHL forwards on our entire roster. If Jeff leaves all we have is Jack and Sam. Good luck with that.
Again, trading him at the deadline doesn't mean he can't re-sign here on July 1 if he truly wants to be close to home and enjoyed his time here.

Assets accumulated in a Skinner trade could equate to more NHL caliber players on our roster next year, whether it's from getting a young player from the team he is traded to or flipping some assets for NHL caliber players.

Also, while they may just be 4th liners, Girgs and Larsson are NHL caliber players. E-rod has looked better of late. Expected or hopeful growth from two players who should've been in lower levels this year could add to our number of NHL caliber players. Promotions for VO and Nylander, in theory, should improve the offence of this team.

I'm not picking on you exactly, but man we are one of the most negative fanbases out there. Let's stop being pissed about trending out of the playoffs after an unsustainable run of shooting and goaltending at the start of the year.

If we accumulated the same amount of points right now but didn't go on a ten game heater that had us in 1st an one point, I think most posters would take this season as improvement and look forward to the future. Instead the fanbase, whom must not have watched the ten game heater because anyone who watched could tell this team wasn't as good as the streak and record showed, is pissed and calling for everyone's heads. Patience is a virtue everyone, we are on the verge of having what we could've had when Murray took over.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
McCabe is probably the team’s most valuable piece that isn’t a core piece or the current GM’s choice player. And we have extra LDs in the club at the moment.

I'm not a fan of trading McCabe but if Botts is trading one of Beaulieu or McCabe, sadly I feel it is McCabe who will be gone.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

I like Wennberg for the sabres. I would like to see salary retained and McCabe would have never gotten you Wennberg two years ago.

Wennberg is soft like butter but fast so he will fit right in. He is from Sweden too so he has that going for him. I think a change of scenery would do him good. His stock is at an all time low. Worth a chance I think.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Maybe the Sabres should move some front office ops in case communications go down Sunday. Power and phone service could be out for days.

Dz89HzAWkAANkbb.jpg

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Again, trading him at the deadline doesn't mean he can't re-sign here on July 1 if he truly wants to be close to home and enjoyed his time here.

Assets accumulated in a Skinner trade could equate to more NHL caliber players on our roster next year, whether it's from getting a young player from the team he is traded to or flipping some assets for NHL caliber players.

Also, while they may just be 4th liners, Girgs and Larsson are NHL caliber players. E-rod has looked better of late. Expected or hopeful growth from two players who should've been in lower levels this year could add to our number of NHL caliber players. Promotions for VO and Nylander, in theory, should improve the offence of this team.

I'm not picking on you exactly, but man we are one of the most negative fanbases out there. Let's stop being pissed about trending out of the playoffs after an unsustainable run of shooting and goaltending at the start of the year.

If we accumulated the same amount of points right now but didn't go on a ten game heater that had us in 1st an one point, I think most posters would take this season as improvement and look forward to the future. Instead the fanbase, whom must not have watched the ten game heater because anyone who watched could tell this team wasn't as good as the streak and record showed, is pissed and calling for everyone's heads. Patience is a virtue everyone, we are on the verge of having what we could've had when Murray took over.
The problem is that if you took out that 10 game run we'd be close to the bottom of the league so really there was virtually no improvement. And as for the negative comment: we are going to miss the playoffs for the 8th consecutive year. That has only been done 8 times in NHL history. Once was by a team who folded (Seals/Barrons), once was a team that relocated (Rockies/Devils) and two were expansion teams who struggled for years (Caps and Jackets). That is something that even the most dysfunctional organization of all time, the Fishstick Islanders didn't do. After being constantly let down by our owner, management and coaches we have a right to be angry.

Reactions: Eichel9

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The problem is that if you took out that 10 game run we'd be close to the bottom of the league so really there was virtually no improvement. And as for the negative comment: we are going to miss the playoffs for the 8th consecutive year. That has only been done 8 times in NHL history. Once was by a team who folded (Seals/Barrons), once was a team that relocated (Rockies/Devils) and two were expansion teams who struggled for years (Caps and Jackets). That is something that even the most dysfunctional organization of all time, the Fishstick Islanders didn't do. After being constantly let down by our owner, management and coaches we have a right to be angry.
But they won the 10 games...

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts we would all have a merry Christmas

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Colin Miller a healthy scratch in Vegas. If they aren't happy with him I'd take him in an instant

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

Agreed. I’ve been really happy with Skinner and think he’s someone that should be resigned. That being said, this organization also can’t afford to lose him for nothing. So, without a contract in place by Sunday, I would seriously consider moving him at the deadline (with a clear indication of our intentions to sign him in the offseason).

Duchesne is a C, but Skinner is two years younger and the #2 goal scorer in the league currently. If they can pull two good prospects and potentially two 1sts for him (or better) it will certainly help fill in our general lack of talent depth.

5-6 first round picks over the next two years and the addition of two young talented wingers (or centers,forwards, goalies, whatever)? I know we’re tired of waiting to be good again but it’s obvious we’re far more than a signed Skinner away from turning this around.

Reactions: Genny Screamer

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Agreed. I’ve been really happy with Skinner and think he’s someone that should be resigned. That being said, this organization also can’t afford to lose him for nothing. So, without a contract in place by Sunday, I would seriously consider moving him at the deadline (with a clear indication of our intentions to sign him in the offseason).

Duchesne is a C, but Skinner is two years younger and the #2 goal scorer in the league currently. If they can pull two good prospects and potentially two 1sts for him (or better) it will certainly help fill in our general lack of talent depth.

5-6 first round picks over the next two years and the addition of two young talented wingers (or centers,forwards, goalies, whatever)? I know we’re tired of waiting to be good again but it’s obvious we’re far more than a signed Skinner away from turning this around.
For starters Skinner has a NMC and can block any move (how do you think we ended up getting him for so little). And the picks we would have acquired would all be late first rounders and have very little difference quality wise from second round picks. Those picks have minimal value.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
For starters Skinner has a NMC and can block any move (how do you think we ended up getting him for so little). And the picks we would have acquired would all be late first rounders and have very little difference quality wise from second round picks. Those picks have minimal value.
Yes he can block any move, but he can also approve a move. I don’t think he would be against moving to a contender to finish out the season and the remainder of his contract.

It’s not like he is going to be stuck somewhere he doesn’t like for a long time. You think he’d rather stay here and enjoy the playoffs from the golf course?

As for his value, his 49pt season also had an impact on his return. Now you’re trading a 36 goal scorer with 54pts in 60 games.

Listen, I’d much rather have a signed Skinner, but those late firsts and prospects have far more value than the return you’d receive If he were to leave in free agency.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yes he can block any move, but he can also approve a move. I don’t think he would be against moving to a contender to finish out the season and the remainder of his contract.

It’s not like he is going to be stuck somewhere he doesn’t like for a long time. You think he’d rather stay here and enjoy the playoffs from the golf course?

As for his value, his 49pt season also had an impact on his return. Now you’re trading a 36 goal scorer with 54pts in 60 games.

Listen, I’d much rather have a signed Skinner, but those late firsts and prospects have far more value than the return you’d receive If he were to leave in free agency.
Just want to point out that I'm on record as saying if they don't think they can sign him they have no choice but to move him, but that's a worst case scenario.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Name the last impact player who was traded at the deadline and was a UFA at season end signs with team who traded him? Just trying to gauge a Skinner trade then him resigning with us.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Just want to point out that I'm on record as saying if they don't think they can sign him they have no choice but to move him, but that's a worst case scenario.
I’m not as willing to rely on “think they can sign him”. The only way they should let the deadline pass without a deal in place (and no trade) is if they’ve agreed to all of the principals and just need to “dot the i’s”. Even then, there’s a chance the deal falls through and you’ve got nothing to show for him. All the assets to acquire him and not even a playoff game to show for it one season later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad