Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In general, fans see the product on the ice, and it's black and white, where Toronto is much closer to a championship than Detroit.

For players, they also have a life outside the rink, especially those with kids.

Now are some of those players still perfectly willing to waive a NTC to have a better shot at winning a Cup? Sure. But no matter how much I'd love a great TDL return for Mike Green, he has the leverage for whether he wants to be dealt at all, and it's not just as simple as, "go to the highest team in the standings that bids on you". Sometimes there's a lot of other considerations behind the scenes.

Reactions: Winger98

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think that media market really turns off some players. For years I've heard the same about Montreal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Green wants nothing of Toronto.
Maybe it's a country club atmosphere in Detroit with no pressure to perform and in Toronto they are held accountable for their play. Babcock is a hard ass and he probably doesn't want to have a coach ride him.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think that media market really turns off some players. For years I've heard the same about Montreal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Green wants nothing of Toronto.

That probably has a lot to do with it.

Put Green on the Leafs at this upcoming deadline and he ends up becoming their highest paid dman and adds to their cap for next season where they will need as much as they can get to extend or replace guys like Matthews, Marner, Gardiner, Johnsson, etc.

That would put Green under a humongous microscope in Toronto where his contributions will constantly be measured against what they gave up to acquire him and/or what they gave up to make space to get important players re-signed.

There's a long list of guys that have taken an absolute lashing from the fanbase and media as a high paid Leafs dman. Larry Murphy, Bryan McCabe, Dion Phaneuf... I guess the only difference is that those guys were all at the helm when the team was a dumpster fire.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Maybe it's a country club atmosphere in Detroit with no pressure to perform and in Toronto they are held accountable for their play. Babcock is a hard ass and he probably doesn't want to have a coach ride him.

When it comes to Toronto and Montreal, it's not the accountability from the team/coach you're worried about. It's the fanbase and media. In those markets, you're getting the level of scrutiny similar to what falls on a Lions QB in Detroit. Like James Reimers wife getting attacked by fans on Twitter scrutiny.

You won't get that in Detroit, where the sports media prioritizes it's focus in this order: Football, Baseball, slightly less important Football stuff, Basketball, much less important football stuff, stuff barely even related to sports, then Hockey - especially when the Red Wings aren't a playoff team

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
When it comes to Toronto and Montreal, it's not the accountability from the team/coach you're worried about. It's the fanbase and media. In those markets, you're getting the level of scrutiny similar to what falls on a Lions QB in Detroit. Like James Reimers wife getting attacked by fans on Twitter scrutiny.

You won't get that in Detroit, where the sports media prioritizes it's focus in this order: Football, Baseball, slightly less important Football stuff, Basketball, much less important football stuff, stuff barely even related to sports, then Hockey - especially when the Red Wings aren't a playoff team
If he gets "lions QB scrutiny" then he should be fine. "Its never Stafford's fault" for the past ten years but I digress

Last edited:

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Possible landing spots for Red Wings forward Nyquist

Max Bultman of The Athletic
: Looking at some potential landing spots for Detroit Red Wings pending unrestricted free agent forward Gustav Nyquist.

Nashville Predators – Could cost less to acquire than the likes of Matt Duchene or Wayne Simmonds.

San Jose Sharks – Could use another winger and could play on any of their top three lines. Don’t have a first-round pick for the next two years.

Edmonton Oilers – Need scoring help up front. Any draft pick acquired would be in the middle of a round and not towards the end like it would be for some contenders. Have some young players/prospects that might interest the Wings.

Dallas Stars – Need secondary scoring. Would the Wings be interested in defenseman Julius Honka?

Boston Bruins – Would like to add second line scoring help. Bruins may eye Brayden Schenn and Kevin Hayes over Nyquist.

The Minnesota Wild and Anaheim Ducks are two other teams to keep an eye on.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

: Looking at some potential landing spots for Detroit Red Wings pending unrestricted free agent forward Gustav Nyquist.

Edmonton Oilers – Need scoring help up front. Any draft pick acquired would be in the middle of a round and not towards the end like it would be for some contenders. Have some young players/prospects that might interest the Wings.

I mean, they are run by Peter Chiarelli, but I would imagine a 1st rounder from the Oilers would come with some conditions and/or lottery protection.

The Oilers probably have no hope of extending Nyquist without offering more $ or term, so dealing a current and potential lottery pick for a rental would be a huge risk for Chiarelli, unless the Red Wings are sending back a good disguise for when he goes out in public.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'd guess because you don't negotiate and get a full NTC with the intention of...getting traded

It was explained to me that most players request a NTC to retain some say in where they might get moved at a later date, not because they are Shane Doan and absolutely do not want to be moved at any cost. It was described as SOP in UFA negotiations.

If Green stays put (which I expect) I think it has more to do with the extra year left on his contract than the NTC.

Reactions: Henkka

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I think these 3 make more sense, especially Edmonton who is in the ''win-now'' mode. I imagine a young prospect like Yamamoto/Puljujarvi would be nice, or just straight up picks, but EDM does have some cap issues. Maybe something like Spooner + 2nd OR Puljujarvi for Nyquist and some retention.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think these 3 make more sense, especially Edmonton who is in the ''win-now'' mode. I imagine a young prospect like Yamamoto/Puljujarvi would be nice, or just straight up picks, but EDM does have some cap issues. Maybe something like Spooner + 2nd OR Puljujarvi for Nyquist and some retention.

Someone on the trade board said something like a second plus Ethan Bear. I wouldnt be against a return of a good, young dman and a second rounder. That second rounder would be middle of the round. Not sure an Edmonton 1st is realistic

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Anyone see that article by Khan on Mlive? He talks about how Holland wants to resign Howard, Nyquist and Jensen instead of trading them. The saga literally never ends with this man. It's laughable at this point, if you are an impending UFA, Holland will resign you. You would think he would have learned with the Abdelkader and Helm and Ericsson mistakes. It's just nonsensical...nothing ever changes with this organization. As long as Holland is here, we aren't going to improve...these are the facts. The most loyal manager in sports history.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Nashville Predators – Could cost less to acquire than the likes of Matt Duchene or Wayne Simmonds.

San Jose Sharks – Could use another winger and could play on any of their top three lines. Don’t have a first-round pick for the next two years.

Dallas Stars – Need secondary scoring. Would the Wings be interested in defenseman Julius Honka?

Boston Bruins – Would like to add second line scoring help. Bruins may eye Brayden Schenn and Kevin Hayes over Nyquist.

Not to sound rude, but you guys are literally wasting your time with these Nyquist trade talks. Ken Holland is not going to trade Nyquist. He will be resigned, just wait for a 3 year deal worth 16.5 million, or something ridiculous like that. Nyquist isn't going anywhere. We are talking about Kenny "loyalty" Holland here.

Howard is coming back as well. We are the highest spending team in the NHL with a bottom 5 record, yet our GM will bring all the UFAs back because...loyalty!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think this is what "team loyalty" has come to mean. If you stay with us, we won't criticize your play or withhold icetime as punishment.

Unless you're a young player.

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
I'm hoping Holland is just saying he wants to re-sign Nyquist just to up his trade value and avoid low ball offers. If he has no better offers on the table, he better accept the 2nd and move on. He can still sign him after the season if he is that hell-bent for him

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm hoping Holland is just saying he wants to re-sign Nyquist just to up his trade value and avoid low ball offers. If he has no better offers on the table, he better accept the 2nd and move on. He can still sign him after the season if he is that hell-bent for him
This. Words before the real window for making trades even begins are essentially meaningless. It's actions that will matter.

If Holland says he wants everybody back, and we have a great roster...then goes out and lands a 1st rounder for Nyquist, and a 2nd and a 3rd for Jensen...we'll throw a parade.
If he says those same things, then brings everybody back on bloated contracts...it's pitchfork time once again.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Anyone see that article by Khan on Mlive? He talks about how Holland wants to resign Howard, Nyquist and Jensen instead of trading them. The saga literally never ends with this man. It's laughable at this point, if you are an impending UFA, Holland will resign you. You would think he would have learned with the Abdelkader and Helm and Ericsson mistakes. It's just nonsensical...nothing ever changes with this organization. As long as Holland is here, we aren't going to improve...these are the facts. The most loyal manager in sports history.

IMO, there are probably a handful of GM's that might look at how this team has performed this season and think that they can tinker them into a playoff team for next season. And I guess to throw a fair bit of shade at Holland, it wouldn't surprise me to see him use the awful luck they've had with injuries on D as a crutch for this seasons "failure". And in a way, he wouldn't exactly be wrong when you look at how things have gone this season. I just looked at all the data, and I think it needs its own thread lol.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
And some of Holland's comments are just posturing to maximize trade value. Let's wait to see what happens at the end of Feb 25.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
That Bernier deals confused me even more now. If you don't think he's starter material, why did you sign him to that contract in the first place? Makes no sense.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Larkin would look good next to McDavid too let's trade him too. And Cholowski would look good in Edmonton too.

Larkin is a center, plays 2 way hockey, and does it consistently, and hasn't tried to run to Russia. AA right now is probably playing the best he will ever play in Detroit. Time to sell high for picks or D prospects.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That Bernier deals confused me even more now. If you don't think he's starter material, why did you sign him to that contract in the first place? Makes no sense.

From Khan article:

The Red Wings decided long ago they wanted to bring back Howard, probably on a two-year deal. They are happy with his performance. They don’t view Jonathan Bernier as a potential starter. None of their prospects (Filip Larsson, Keith Petruzzelli, Kaden Fulcher) is close to being NHL-ready and Howard is much better than what they have in Grand Rapids (Patrik Rybar, Harri Sateri).

Kind of tells all.

Bernier was signed for a backup.

Only confusion in here is that you believed that he was signed to be a starter, when he was not.

So, now the plan is:

1.) maybe trade Howard or not, if somesone offers that 1st
2.) re-sign Howard for 2 years
3) both goalie contracts will end at same summer of 2021, and then we'll revisit again how to rebuild that position.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I think to save time after they missed out on Hutton, they did some ninja editing to his offer to shoot one over to Berniers agent, but forgot to edit the money and term part... Only thing that really makes sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->