Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Never heard of this. Maybe he doesn't want to play for Babcock because I cant think of any other logical reason he wouldn't want to go there over Detroit
Players have different priorities. Mike Green seems to be a player who very strongly values an environment (neighborhood, school system, etc.) that he and his family are comfortable in. I honestly believe he would rather play for Detroit than for Toronto for that very reason (not uprooting the wife and kids during the school year).

That doesn't make a trade impossible, but it's a major factor to consider.

Reactions: BStinson

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If they trade for Liljegren, he will be protected before Lindstrom.

If they sign a high priced UFA in the next two years, he will demand NMC status knowing the expansion draft is coming.

Don't lose Lindstrom for nothing.

My preference would be to trade for draft picks and not sign any high priced UFAs defenseman until after the expansion draft.

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Players have different priorities. Mike Green seems to be a player who very strongly values an environment (neighborhood, school system, etc.) that he and his family are comfortable in. I honestly believe he would rather play for Detroit than for Toronto for that very reason (not uprooting the wife and kids during the school year).

At some point, I think pursuit of the Cup comes into play for most players.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I used to like Spooner but the season hes having and his age make me think draft picks are more worthwhile. If he is a reclamation project he'll be pushing 30 looking for a big deal when the wings are competitive again. I would love him as an extra asset in a trade but not interested in a trade if hes the center piece

I wasn't really pushing for him as a centerpiece. The post I was replying to said that we'd still have to take salary back because of Edmonton's cap situation, so I said take Spooner then. I meant to take the picks we would normally get, too. And that they'd maybe sweeten the pot a bit extra if we're taking Spooner to make it work. If Spooner flames out, he's only got a year left anyway and I think we could just eat it if need be. If he resurrects his career, we have a nice trade chip plus the picks.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Toronto isnt that far from Detroit and if Brad Stuart could do it dont see why green can't. He can leave his family in Detroit it's literally a few months.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
he's signed for next year too though
And? Toronto would get a cost-controlled player for next season. They are not re-signing Gardiner.

Dealing Liljegren - barring an absolutely phenomenal return - would be very shortsighted bt the Leafs. I mean, if Karlsson suddenly declares that he refuses to stay in San Jose, then sure, go nuts and push all your chips in to win now. But what's out there in a somewhat realistic scenario where it makes sense for a team that needs help on defense, to trade away a good defensive prospect?

I don't think Lilegren is a top-pairing guy and I think he's two years away from solidifying a long-term job in the NHL.

Reactions: waltdetroit

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
And? Toronto would get a cost-controlled player for next season. They are not re-signing Gardiner.

I don't think Lilegren is a top-pairing guy and I think he's two years away from solidifying a long-term job in the NHL.

from Green's perspective

he signed a very reasonable extension to stay here with an ntc for a reason,he's probably not gonna want to go somewhere else for what amounts to essentially 2/3rds of his contract

next year? maybe a different story,and his ntc also changes from a full ntc to a 10 team no trade list before the deadline next year as well

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
from Green's perspective

he signed a very reasonable extension to stay here with an ntc for a reason,he's probably not gonna want to go somewhere else for what amounts to essentially 2/3rds of his contract

next year? maybe a different story,and his ntc also changes from a full ntc to a 10 team no trade list before the deadline next year as well
Green's NTC just means he gets to control where he goes. He'll accept a trade to Toronto or Tampa. He's not accepting a trade to Carolina or Columbus. I'd argue he'd rather get traded this year since he has control rather than wait until next season when he could possible be traded to the Florida Panthers against his will.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Green's NTC just means he gets to control where he goes. He'll accept a trade to Toronto or Tampa. He's not accepting a trade to Carolina or Columbus. I'd argue he'd rather get traded this year since he has control rather than wait until next season when he could possible be traded to the Florida Panthers against his will.

I think he might not want to be moved at all, regardless of the destination. And I can see Holland/Yzerman obliging, especially if we move on, or plan to move on, from Jensen, Daley, Ericsson, and Kronwall between this and next season. Gun for a top pair RD in free agency, slide Hronek into the second pair, and run Green out on the third pair.

Reactions: jkutswings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Some how Green is very important for the team, he should not get traded. They have hard time to win without him

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think he might not want to be moved at all, regardless of the destination. And I can see Holland/Yzerman obliging, especially if we move on, or plan to move on, from Jensen, Daley, Ericsson, and Kronwall between this and next season. Gun for a top pair RD in free agency, slide Hronek into the second pair, and run Green out on the third pair.

He has no choice starting Feb. 1, 2020. He can and will be traded after then (if not sooner). Given his injury history there's no reason to keep him. He's not a long-term asset, either. Remember, he was also supposed be dealt to Tampa last season. I don't think this organization has any loyalty towards him and the structure of his two-year deal spells that out pretty clearly.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Everyone so excited about trading Green seems to forget that the Wings literally cannot seem to win without him in the lineup.

Who will we get to be our new #1 veteran D?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think Green is a trade bait. Those multi-year contracts are problematic to trade. It's more probable on his final year. And last guy I want to trade is a good RhD.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He has no choice starting Feb. 1, 2020. He can and will be traded after then (if not sooner). Given his injury history there's no reason to keep him. He's not a long-term asset, either. Remember, he was also supposed be dealt to Tampa last season. I don't think this organization has any loyalty towards him and the structure of his two-year deal spells that out pretty clearly.

I think it's less loyalty and more fitting a need. We're going to need to fill out the blueline and if we want to be decent it's probably not going to be all kids. Both Holland and Yzerman have shown to like having some older vet depth on their bluelines, and Green's next contract shouldn't be a deal breaker. Things can change with who else the Wings might sign or whatever, but Green find be a fit for the next few years.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't think Green is a trade bait. Those multi-year contracts are problematic to trade. It's more probable on his final year. And last guy I want to trade is a good RhD.
Might Holland be able to acquire Toronto's 1st round pick for Green?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Given his injury history, there is no reason for another team to rely on him to be an answer.

And honestly, the organization constructing his deal like that says nothing about loyalty or lack of loyalty. It is a business decision based on knowing where they are in a rebuild now.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Never heard of this. Maybe he doesn't want to play for Babcock because I cant think of any other logical reason he wouldn't want to go there over Detroit

He likes the city?
His family has moved here and he likes being around them on non-game days?
He's struck up a friendship with someone on the team or off that he likes being by?
He isn't looking to play in a place like Toronto where if they lose every single player on the team is viewed as the problem?
He's really a fan of Buddys Pizza?
His number one goal isn't winning a Stanley Cup at this point in his career?

Hell, more nefarious, he's found a sidepiece that lives in the Detroit area that is on the path to the rink?

I mean, there are hundreds of reasons why he wouldn't want to go to Toronto over Detroit. I'm not saying any of them are true, but it is entirely possible that a guy just doesn't want to hop to the team who has a better chance at a Cup.

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He likes the city?
His family has moved here and he likes being around them on non-game days?
He's struck up a friendship with someone on the team or off that he likes being by?
He isn't looking to play in a place like Toronto where if they lose every single player on the team is viewed as the problem?
He's really a fan of Buddys Pizza?
His number one goal isn't winning a Stanley Cup at this point in his career?

Hell, more nefarious, he's found a sidepiece that lives in the Detroit area that is on the path to the rink?

I mean, there are hundreds of reasons why he wouldn't want to go to Toronto over Detroit. I'm not saying any of them are true, but it is entirely possible that a guy just doesn't want to hop to the team who has a better chance at a Cup.

I think that media market really turns off some players. For years I've heard the same about Montreal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Green wants nothing of Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad