Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh I understand that you see no difference between a team solidly in it's window to win multiple championships and a team that is one of the absolute worst in the league.

Most teams in the league have them and your assertion was mocking Holland as some lone wolf that doesn't understand what they are, not the stage in the standings. Sure change the argument. Yzerman uses NTC and NMC as well and he will in Detroit. That is a part of the league, there are in excess of 100 players enjoy them throughout the league. Usually multiples per team and all the players we talk about and actual want Holland/Yzerman an company to sign are going to have them as a contract stipulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: kliq

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Most leagues in the team have them and your assertion was mocking Holland as some lone wolf that doesn't understand what they are, not the stage in the standings. Sure change the argument. Yzerman uses NTC and NMC as well and he will in Detroit. That is a part of the league, there are in excess of 100 players enjoy them throughout the league. Usually multiples per team and all the players we talk about and actual want Holland/Yzerman an company to sign are going to have them as a contract stipulation.

For me, it's all about who is getting the NMC and NTC. I personally don't believe non-star players should be getting them and I certainly don't believe role players should ever get a NTC.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Oh I understand that you see no difference between a team solidly in it's window to win multiple championships and a team that is one of the absolute worst in the league.

I would argue that a team solidly in it's window needs to be more careful then ever with things like NMC's and NTC's as one bad contract can be the difference between winning a cup or not winning a cup. Us being one of the worst in the league gives us the flexibility to not have to worry as much about contracts/cap/NTC-NMC's etc.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we didnt have all of them them, and I'm not defending them, I'm just pointing out the glaring holes in your condescending comment.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For me, it's all about who is getting the NMC and NTC. I personally don't believe non-star players should be getting them and I certainly don't believe role players should ever get a NTC.

Well then you are unlikely to agree with Yzerman's stance on this as well is what I am warning you about.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Well then you are unlikely to agree with Yzerman's stance on this as well is what I am warning you about.

But why let facts and logic come in the way of someone's argument lol.

Stamkos - NMC
Callahan - M-NTC, NMC
Palat - NTC
Johnson - NTC
Killorn - NTC
Hedman - NMC
McDonagh - M-NTC
Stralman - M-NTC
Coburn - M-NTC
Girardi - NTC

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
In fairness to Steve, he’s convinced the bulk of those guys to take less AAV because of the no income tax in Florida. If he trades those guys after agreeing to take less, he’s drastically impacting their paycheck.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

But why let facts and logic come in the way of someone's argument lol.

Stamkos - NMC
Callahan - M-NTC, NMC
Palat - NTC
Johnson - NTC
Killorn - NTC
Hedman - NMC
McDonagh - M-NTC
Stralman - M-NTC
Coburn - M-NTC
Girardi - NTC

I never implied otherwise. The NTC and NMC clauses are easier to digest when you're the GM of a top 3 team in the league. Rebuilding teams need ultimate flexibility to build and shape the team. A GM will probably say that if you don't give some NTC or NMC, players just won't sign here. I think many of the players the Wings have given NTC to are replaceable.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I never implied otherwise. The NTC and NMC clauses are easier to digest when you're the GM of a top 3 team in the league. Rebuilding teams need ultimate flexibility to build and shape the team. A GM will probably say that if you don't give some NTC or NMC, players just won't sign here. I think many of the players the Wings have given NTC to are replaceable.

For the record, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the rant by another poster who @The Zetterberg Era was originally going back and forth with.

I do disagree with what you are saying though to a degree, I'm just going to quote my previous post as it pretty much hits on why.

I would argue that a team solidly in it's window needs to be more careful then ever with things like NMC's and NTC's as one bad contract can be the difference between winning a cup or not winning a cup. Us being one of the worst in the league gives us the flexibility to not have to worry as much about contracts/cap/NTC-NMC's etc.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we didnt have all of them them, and I'm not defending them.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Interesting. Ottawa is asking for a king's ransom for Stone (multiple firsts, a high end prospect, and more), and Columbus the same with Panarin. If Nyquist is willing to be traded, the demand is likely there.

Also the rumor is that Ottawa only wants to trade Stone somewhere he'll actually sign, with the intent of one of those firsts being conditional on signing. So if teams won't verbally commit to signing him, Ottawa isn't listening.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Regarding Nyquist, it sounds like it will be another last minute trade for KH.

I hope he can move Daley. Sounds like Howard is here for a couple more years.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I know people want to believe Daley might get dealt but I have not heard his name reported anywhere.

Not saying it’s impossible but it certainly appears to be wishful thinking.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
At this point, I feel like Howard moving was always a long shot. Trading established NHL goalies is just nonsensical. Their value is all over the place.
I agree, but it would be great to get a second for him. In addition, it would help the tank. We can resign him this summer.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I know people want to believe Daley might get dealt but I have not heard his name reported anywhere.

Not saying it’s impossible but it certainly appears to be wishful thinking.

At this point in the year, wishful thinking is about the only thing left.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm confident Howard is faking his illness so he won't be traded.
I felt like Howard indicating that he would like to retire in Detroit kind of sabotaged Detroit's chances to trade him already. I mean, that basically communicated that if you were willing to pay Holland's price of a first-round pick, you would still only have Howard until the summer.

On the other hand, out of the few probable playoff teams who Howard could help, how many could he help so much it would be worth it?

I hope Yzerman is left to handle his contract.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
^Do they have to choose now or is it a case of "whichever one is better" come the end of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad