Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It sounds like the Wings learned nothing over the past five years when it comes to not severely overvaluing their spare parts.

The idea of a team that is total garbage hanging on to a player like Luke Glendenning is insane.

Nyquist needs to be gone ASAP. Turns 30 in seven months and is having a career year. Ray Charles could spot all of those red flags.

I don't really care one way or another with Howard. I think people are severely over valuing him, and don't think the Wings would get much for him.

Holland really seems to have his heart set on making the playoffs next year, so it wouldn't surprise me if he signed Nyquist and Howard to extensions. It's absolutely awful asset management, however that's something we've come to expect from Holland. The Tatar trade is the exception, not the rule.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
Will Howard himself garner a first? I'm not really sure and would most likely side with "no". And while Flames fans seem a bit gunshy (understandably so given the smith experience) on buying in on Howard, I don't think their opinions are representative of how gm's would evaluate the situation. If this was Howard back when he was super shaky, then I would agree with those who say HECK NO to Howard, but this isn't the version we're talking about. The early saves against Nashville were spectacular and we've been seeing that more on average than before. People will remark on his "softies", but what goalie doesn't let those in from time to time? This Howard is an asset to any team who wants to solidify their goalie depth on their way to a cup, and that has value in of itself which no GM can deny. They can avoid it all they want, but unless you obtain Bobrovsky, Howard would be a great backup at starters quality.

A deal can be NEGOTIATED. As much as Holland says it will take a 1st, I don't think it's that or bust when it gets down to crunch time. More often than not you can't add GOOD QUALITY depth and still keep your best assets akin to having your cake and eating it too. You get what you pay for more often than not. What makes the flames situation a bit more difficult is that they don't have this years 2nd because if it came down to the wire a 2nd + Defenseman prospect would be fine for Howard. I would love to structure something around Howard + Jensen+ for Smith+ Kylington+ or Smith+1st+ if possible.

My dream trade deadline would be

Nyquist for 1st or 2nd + Defenseman prospect
Nyquist + Daley/Jensen for 1st+
Howard (retain) + Daley/Jensen for 1st + Defenseman prospect
Howard (retain) for 2nd + Defenseman prospect
Jensen for 2nd
Daley for 2nd or 3rd?

***Super duper unlikely, but a dream: Green for late 2019 1st (most likely will happen next year though)

One way or another we need more Defensive prospects, either through adding one via late 1st acquired or trading for upright. Cholo and Hronek have good potential, and McIsaac + Lindstrom are good wildcards, but we need to add more for. I don't think that is an unreasonable stance given the current quality of our team

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Howard is without a doubt, a better goalie than Rittich and Mike Smith. If they are serious this year (which they should be), they should offer us their 1st for him. I don't think they will, but in my opinion they should because they aren't getting past the 2nd round with their current goalies.

Trading him helps us tank without officially tanking because Bernier sucks. Then we can always bring him back in the summer. I'd talk to him, and if Holland really wants him back next year (of course he wants him back, it's Holland!) then talk to him and say go compete for the Cup and we will bring you back on a 2 year deal at $5 mil/per.

Ouch, no way. 2yrs is fine, but anything over $4M would not be wise.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
(Disclaimer: Lyrics were chosen primarily for rhyme and cadence. Any player evaluations do not necessarily reflect the views of anybody at HF Boards or The Detroit Red Wings.)

(to the tune of "If This Is It" by Huey Lewis and the News)

It's time for loaning, so work the phones and
Find some teams to say, "I'll buy your guys"
Get off the fence and, trade off Nick Jensen
A 2nd and a 3rd seems about right

I won't mind, if they bring him back this summer
But don't re-sign, 'til he's a rental first
Seek and find, as many picks as you can
I sure hope the Wings are makin' moves

If it's a fit, please let me know
If there's a good return, these players have to go
If it's a fit, get 'em out the door
If there's a trade to be made, they better hit the road

Now Gus is playin' great, but he's not stayin' late
That pending UFA needs to board a flight
After Panarin, I hope the market's bearin'
A late first rounder; that'd be outta sight

For a few nights, he'll go enjoy the playoffs
It feels right, to load up for the draft

Some think it's scary, but it's temporary
I'd even trade Howard if the return is right
More games we might lose, but we want Jack Hughes
And Jimmy's comin' back when we hit July

Please don't fright; it's all about the rebuild
Use foresight; the bigger picture's clear

If it's a fit, I gotta know
You better wheel and deal, these players have to go

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Send him third class mail to Calgary and don't re-sign him in July unless its sub 3 million and year to year. He's shown this season he's on the downside of things.

by being better than last year?

what do you even mean by that?

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Lot of talk out there that KH wants to resign Nyq, Jensen, and Howard.

I still believe he will move all three. Same thing was said about Brendan Smith all the way up to the TDL. Holland knows he can't bring back the same team and he needs to get assets. In the end, he will.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I still believe he will move all three. Same thing was said about Brendan Smith all the way up to the TDL. Holland knows he can't bring back the same team and he needs to get assets. In the end, he will.

didn't Holland try and re-sign Smith both before trading him and again during the offseason?

sometimes players just want out

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
by being better than last year?

what do you even mean by that?

I wouldn't say that until the season is over. Some of Howard's worst starts last year were at the end of the season and it killed his save percentage (his last 20 games he had his lowest save % of any 20 game split).

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Why would it not be wise on a 2 year deal?
1. To set a precedent for the next wave that Wings aren't overpaying, especially for aging vets

2. We shouldn't be paying/overpaying 35 yr old goalies $5M...Jimmy didn't exactly live upto his $5.35 over his 5 yr. contract...this year is the exception & maybe parts of 2 other yrs.

3. Goaltending should not be where we spend the extra $1M+ that you suggest, it should be on Top 2/3 D & 2nd Line C.

4. KH has leverage here, especially since goalies can be picked up every year for cheaper/younger, often as good as or better, & Jimmy wants to be here...time for a hometown discount, so $4m MAX is MORE than fair.

5. Save capspace for Josi/Parayko/Pietrangelo/Trouba

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wouldn't say that until the season is over. Some of Howard's worst starts last year were at the end of the season and it killed his save percentage (his last 20 games he had his lowest save % of any 20 game split).

You saying this has literally nothing to do with the fact that you said hes shown hes on the downside of things. So what youre saying is is that if he has the exact same finish to this season as he had last season he'll be on the down side of thing.

Or in other words he hasnt shown it at all this season.... makes a lot of sense

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

We have hope on these trades. The only factor that stops them from happening is if the offers are low. I saw a list that had 10 forwards that might be available ahead of Nyq so I haven't any handle on what could be offered for him. Moving a D to get room for next year would help & the fact that Daley has 1 more year at a low salary might be enticing to a team also. I don't believe we need more "B" prospects (at least not on D) nor quantities of low picks. If we cannot get 1st's or 2nd's, why not re-sign them? I would like to trade & re-sign them but that doesn't happen often and the fact that the players indicated they want to come back may lessen the trade value. 9 more days to showtime.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
In terms of re-signing, I think Howard is back next year but I think he’s traded before he re-signs in July.

I think Gus is 50/50. I don’t think Holland will give him a significant raise so Gus would need to leave money on the table to return.

I think Jensen’s agent is going to do everything possible to make sure Nick hits the open market. I can’t see us offering him an AAV of 4 but I can see him getting that if he hits the market.

Reactions: waltdetroit

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Wouldn't Holland have to get sign off from Chris Ilitch on any signings and wouldn't Ilitch want to keep a clean slate as possible for Yzerman? Also wouldn't Holland have been told out of respect what the real plan was with the front office going forward? If Holland doesn't get the Seattle gig odds are he's be promoted up the RW foodchain and stay part of the org.

Anything we're getting is theater. And any trade talk/re-signing is trade deadline posturing and smokescreens. If Holland came out and said "Hey, we don't want these guys back anyways" than the offers would be weaker as well as the buyer would think we'd just be happy to get something for a player we would let walk anyways. But if we want to re-sign them than we need to get an offer worthy of deciding to let the player go who we want to otherwise keep.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
But yet according to Khan, Holland would love to have all 3 resigned before February 25th TDL. So Holland only has 9 days left. Not much time if he wants to get all 3 signed.

Yeah. The beat writers are the voice of the organization. Custance clearly has relationships with both the team and the players agents.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Howard is the only one I'm 100% will be back. I don't think Nyquist or Jensen will be able to pass up the money teams will throw at them. I'm ok bringing back Jensen if two if the three of Daley, Ericsson, and Kronner are not back next season.

Green- Cholo
Dekeyser- Jensen
Ericsson- Hronek

Would be fine for next year barring an upgrade being available. I just want spots for Hronek and Cholo. Heck I'm even ok with Kronner coming back as the 7th d, as long as he is used like it.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You saying this has literally nothing to do with the fact that you said hes shown hes on the downside of things. So what youre saying is is that if he has the exact same finish to this season as he had last season he'll be on the down side of thing.

Or in other words he hasnt shown it at all this season.... makes a lot of sense
Or what I’m saying it until the last half of last season, after Mrazek was traded and Croeau was shown to be hot garbage he had a bad stretch of games with no backup to save him. This year he’s been visibly worse at rebound control and in quickness. This year they have a good backup to come in when Howard looks shaky or tired to take games. Also remember there were some key injuries in that time frame as well.

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Howard is the only one I'm 100% will be back. I don't think Nyquist or Jensen will be able to pass up the money teams will throw at them. I'm ok bringing back Jensen if two if the three of Daley, Ericsson, and Kronner are not back next season.

Green- Cholo
Dekeyser- Jensen
Ericsson- Hronek

Would be fine for next year barring an upgrade being available. I just want spots for Hronek and Cholo. Heck I'm even ok with Kronner coming back as the 7th d, as long as he is used like it.

That's how I feel about this trade deadline as well. I think we're likely going to move all 3 guys and if any of them return I think it would be Howard. As you alluded to if Jensen was to re-sign I don't think it would be the worst thing. He's shown he can play as a #4 and can handle 2nd pairing minutes, if we could get him back on a 3.0-4.0M AAV contract for 3 years I'd be okay with it.

I think in the end we'll likely get a 2nd+3rd for Jensen, perhaps some sort of condition on the 3rd that it can become a 2020 2nd based on the acquiring teams playoffs run. Howard gets a 2nd; and Nyquist gets a conditional 2nd+C prospect, 2nd becomes a 1st if the acquiring team reaches x round. I'd like to get another 1st but given that players like Stone, Duchene, Panarin, Bob, Hayes, etc. are available I think we would be hard pressed to get a 1st unless we packaged multiple assets together.

One thing I would try to do is target 2020/2021 1st round picks if teams were willing to move them instead of 2019 1sts. If a bubble team was willing to move a future 1st I think it's something Holland and Co. should consider.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just read chatter about this on Reddit. I was watching HNIC tonight but missed this piece. Curious if this is TDL formality or someone is calling Holland.

Despite what a lot of people will say on here, I'm sure Holland is getting ready to work the phones and make some trades like has every deadline the last couple of years. I'm expecting a 2nd and a prospect for Nyquist. I dont think a lot of teams will give up a first for him when they could use it in a package for a guy like Stone potentially.

Stone and Duchene re signing is the best thing that could happpen for Detroit

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->