Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
Not even Pronger could have fixed Bryz; I think we still see an influx of meatshields if Pronger doesn't go down...especially since he was slowing down rapidly. Homer's go-to move when Bryz failed was to pursue that type of dman. Main difference is that we probably see one or two fewer I guess.

Eh, I think you are over stating Pronger’s slowdown a little bit, if not by a lot. He was still a legit top pair D-man who was still able to control the flow of the game. Seeing how Chara has aged out, no reason to think Pronger wouldn’t have done the same if not for the injury.

Also, Pronger and Timonen was a large reason, in addition to some luck, that we made the finals with. Leighton. Michael Leighton! If Prongs was healthy, Bryz would have been little better than he was.

Considering that we are talking about only 3 “ meatshields” in Grossmann, Mac and L. Schenn, yeah... Prongs alleviating “couple” of meatshields is a huge difference.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If Ghost had 44 points in 49 games this season instead of 27 points in 56 games & wasn’t last on his team in +/- some would be less critical.

The powerplay went to crap this season. This team also severely struggles at the beginning as well.

This season (~60 games in)
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...team.4&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPoints

Last season
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...team.4&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPoints

He needs to produce more that's for sure but being stapled to Andrew MacDonald right now isn't going to help. The upside is that his contract is very manageable in lot of regards.

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
I don’t think I’d do it with him. Great player, but I envision him having a steep decline that keeps me away from a huge 7 year contract. Certainly could be wrong.

Karlsson’s game isn’t purely built on declining attributes like speed so he might age better than you think. The guy reads the game exceptionally and his breakout passes are a thing of beauty. Goddamn it would be cool to add Karlsson.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I wouldn't be in a rush to move Ghost, but I'd imagine if he is moved it will be a 1 for 1 type deal. With the message that the organization wants to send, he'll only be moved for a high profile player.

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
JVR-Patrick-Konecny
X-Frost-X
X-X-X

Provorov-X
Sanheim-X
X-X

Hart

I could see pretty much anyone else in the organization being moved this summer for upgrades to the NHL roster.

You're out of your mind if you think there's going to be that much movement for this club. I can see Simmonds being moved, MacDonald (hopefully waived), and maybe Raffl moved. I prefer Raffl in the lineup though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The powerplay went to crap this season. This team also severely struggles at the beginning as well.

This season (~60 games in)

Last season

He needs to produce more that's for sure but being stapled to Andrew MacDonald right now isn't going to help. The upside is that his contract is very manageable in lot of regards.
He’s been really bad this season & it has nothing to do with MacDonald.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everyone is not bad with MacDonald, and he's not one of the worse defenders I've ever seen, he's functional, not pretty, but he has a solid track record of decent performance - people just have ridiculous expectations (and have amnesia when it comes to the defensemen the Flyers have iced over the last decade!).

The less time on MacDonald's contract, the easier it will be to move him with salary retained and actually get an asset in return, if not at the TDL, then this summer. When you look at the money received by 3rd pair defensemen in free agency, would you prefer MacDonald 1yr/$2.5M or some scrub at 3yr/$6M?

Ghost hasn't been bad this year, but not nearly as good as last year. If he's not injured that suggests that last year was a bit of an anomaly and his "baseline" is probably somewhere between these two years. Which means he'll probably be better next year but may never approach 60+ points again.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Everyone is not bad with MacDonald, and he's not one of the worse defenders I've ever seen, he's functional, not pretty, but he has a solid track record of decent performance - people just have ridiculous expectations (and have amnesia when it comes to the defensemen the Flyers have iced over the last decade!).

The less time on MacDonald's contract, the easier it will be to move him with salary retained and actually get an asset in return, if not at the TDL, then this summer. When you look at the money received by 3rd pair defensemen in free agency, would you prefer MacDonald 1yr/$2.5M or some scrub at 3yr/$6M?

Ghost hasn't been bad this year, but not nearly as good as last year. If he's not injured that suggests that last year was a bit of an anomaly and his "baseline" is probably somewhere between these two years. Which means he'll probably be better next year but may never approach 60+ points again.

Must be why he routinely flubs easy passes and falls on his skates. Dude is as bad as Hakstol was as a coach.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Thats Sophies choice for me, they both are awful. But how an organization can willingly dress both of them and be mortal locks is insane.

I think Hagg does a better job of knowing his limitations and he's more physical than MacDonald. How many effing times have we seen MacDonald skate into his goalie?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I think Hagg does a better job of knowing his limitations and he's more physical than MacDonald. How many effing times have we seen MacDonald skate into his goalie?

Sure, but then you see Hogg get man handled by Helm last game, he can't even clear the crease. Myers was already more aggresive than him last game.

Myers stepping up on Provys goal was something Farmer and The Hagg could never do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad