WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm surprised and a bit disappointed Lodnia got cut, I thought he'd make the WJC team this winter for sure. Any insight on what happened there, does he still have a chance?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I can't recall the last time I saw a player bomb so hard leading up to the draft. Had a great first half, okay second half, horrible U18 WC, then decommits from college right before the draft. Just very strange.
Hopefully Wilde makes it as a player, but if he wasn't invited for these summer games, I highly doubt he is brought in for the world juniors

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
My team if I had to choose using only from players at the camp (including Poehling, as he was there just didn't play):

Forwards (x13):

Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Jay O'Brien
Joel Farabee - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Jason Robertson - Josh Norris - Sasha Chmelevski
Grant Mismash - Jack Drury - Paul Cotter
Noah Cates

Defense (x7):

Dylan Samberg - Reilly Walsh
Quinn Hughes - Mikey Anderson
Ben Mirageas - Joey Keane
Mattias Samuelsson

Goalie (x3):

Cayden Primeau
Spencer Knight
Kyle Keyser
Notes:
  • Overall
    • In single elimination tournaments anything can happen, but it'll be a disappointment if this team isn't in the gold medal game and it would be an embarrassment if they don't medal at all.
  • Biggest Camp Surprise
    • Joey Keane. I thought he played pretty well and put himself into a strong position to make the team, especially with the shortage of RHD. A bit careless with the puck at times, but I liked his game quite a bit.
  • Biggest Camp Disappointment
    • Easily Oliver Wahlstrom. He was invisible. With his goal scoring ability, he has to be on the team, but he needs to play a lot better than that to be a positive contributor come tournament time. Too often he reminds me of a shoot-first version of Bobby Ryan - tantalizing skill, but largely disengaged for the majority of the play. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a similar tournament to Kieffer Bellows two years ago, where he was a major disappointment all tournament long until the gold medal game. Hopefully Oliver can replicate that at least.
  • Forwards
    • I just can't see any justification for putting guys like Evan Barratt, Logan Cockerill, or Sean Dhooghe on this team. Barratt was extremely quiet and widely outplayed by nearly all the guys he'd be competing against for a bottom 6 role. Cockerill is basically the Mendoza kid from the Mighty Ducks. And other than a nice pass to Norris, Dhooghe barely played all tournament. Folks love rooting for him, but he's not a top team player at the U20 level.
    • It's a deep forward group, and while I thought they all had some really nice spurts of skill, I'm not sold on including all of Drury, Cates, Cotter, etc. on the roster. That's not to say they were bad here (they weren't) or I'm against some of them making it, but I'm hopeful some more talented guys, such as some of the top '01s (Turcotte, Caufield, Boldy, Zegras, etc.), push their way into the conversation. I'm not opposed to some well-rounded, bottom six guys like some of the other posters (when they get the right ones, they're incredibly valuable in these tournaments), they just don't need 4-5 of them like has often been the norm.
  • Defense
    • Defensively, I thought most of the guys acquitted themselves pretty well. Realistically, I'd only be surprised if Matt Anderson made it, but not because he was bad, he just isn't better than the other guys in contention.
    • I get the sense the staff will learn towards bringing along Kemp too, but Samuelsson is a better option for the defensive defenseman role and they don't need two that ilk for the tournament. He's bigger and more well rounded, plus he could return next year.
    • I'm still interested in which '00 d-men might get into contention. Obviously there's K'Andre Miller, who missed camp with an injury, and I still think Emberson might earn himself a look in December.
  • Goalie
    • No one stood up and took control of the net. Petruzelli really struggled though, especially against Canada where he let in some real stinkers. Still looks like a Primeau/Knight battle to me.
    • Unless they have awful starts to the season, it's pretty clear Primeau/Knight are the top two goalies. If that holds, I wouldn't bother using the third goalie spot on a '99 goalie. Instead, if '01 Dustin Wolf plays as well at the Hlinka as he did last season in the WHL, I'd bring him along. He looked really composed tonight in shutting out the Czechs in Team USA's opener.
Great post as always.
G
Thought Petruzelli was bad. I thought Primeau played well and I've liked Knight since the U18 tourney in the spring.

D
Quinn is fantastic. I thought Samuelson was a calming force. First time seeing Keane and I liked him. Of course Samburg makes it.

F
Jack and Joel and Brady and Ryan will lead the way. Oliver needs to get a move on. Jay O'Brien really was fun to watch too.

Can't wait for December!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Buccigross is reporting Tkachuk will sign with Ottawa. While that doesn't guarantee he won't be available, it certainly increases the odds if it's indeed true. It would be a huge loss if he's unavailable. Beyond the WJC, I wonder what Brady's plan is if he doesn't make Ottawa - AHL or London? I think it's a year early for him in the NHL, but maybe he surprises or Ottawa rushes him regardless. I'd guess he'll get the 9 NHL games and then head to London as his family is comfortable with that route.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Buccigross is reporting Tkachuk will sign with Ottawa. While that doesn't guarantee he won't be available, it certainly increases the odds if it's indeed true. It would be a huge loss if he's unavailable. Beyond the WJC, I wonder what Brady's plan is if he doesn't make Ottawa - AHL or London? I think it's a year early for him in the NHL, but maybe he surprises or Ottawa rushes him regardless. I'd guess he'll get the 9 NHL games and then head to London as his family is comfortable with that route.

Frankly, Ottawa needs Tkachuk.

With Karlsson, Stone, Ceci, etc, leaving a facelift is needed.

Tkachuk has that "face of the franchise" quality to him. He'll sign and report to the team by the 2019-20 offseason at the latest.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Yah Brady will get the 9 games then a decesion. If Tkachuk ends up in London then he plays for the US.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I really feel like another season at BU is perfect for him. London too i guess, but I dont think there's any chance he sticks in the NHL, he still has a ton of improving to do at the college level. 8 goals and 23 assists at BU leaves a lot of room for improvement.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Tkachuk was the last flight risk we had, and looks to be a 50/50 shot he can play for team USA now. I do not know what Ottawa does here, but they need some positives so I will say the kid gets his 9 game look minimum and if he surprises everyone like his bro did, he will be up the whole year.

If not, I see absolutely zero reason for him to go to London, this kid wants to be a pro player and has stated it numerous times, so if he can't crack the NHL lineup the entire year, he goes to the AHL which still could keep him out of this tournament like it did for Fischer when Arizona refused to release him for some odd reason.

I think the kid sticks at the NHL because he was born for this, and stat watchers just do not know the entire package he brings. I wish he spent one more year at BU, but his pro journey begins and I don't think we see him here in December is what my gut says unfortunately.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Not sure if anyone already posted this but here's Pronman's projected roster:

Forwards:
Brady Tkachuk-Ryan Poehling-Jay O’Brien
Joel Farabee-Jack Hughes-Oliver Wahlstrom
Logan Cockerill-Josh Norris-Jason Robertson
Grant Mismash-Sasha Chmelevski-Noah Cates
Jack Drury

Defensemen:
Dylan Samberg-Quinn Hughes
Mikey Anderson-K’Andre Miller
Mattias Samuelsson-Joey Keane
Cam York

Goaltenders:
Cayden Primeau
Spencer Knight

Tkachuk is obviously very questionable now but this was posted before he left BU.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tkachuk was the last flight risk we had, and looks to be a 50/50 shot he can play for team USA now. I do not know what Ottawa does here, but they need some positives so I will say the kid gets his 9 game look minimum and if he surprises everyone like his bro did, he will be up the whole year.

If not, I see absolutely zero reason for him to go to London, this kid wants to be a pro player and has stated it numerous times, so if he can't crack the NHL lineup the entire year, he goes to the AHL which still could keep him out of this tournament like it did for Fischer when Arizona refused to release him for some odd reason.

I think the kid sticks at the NHL because he was born for this, and stat watchers just do not know the entire package he brings. I wish he spent one more year at BU, but his pro journey begins and I don't think we see him here in December is what my gut says unfortunately.

The Sens let Lazar go from the NHL. I think they see the WJC as a being good for development. If he's in the AHL .. I think they let him go. London is not out of the question though.. I think that move could be good for his development as well; particularly his puck skills.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The Sens let Lazar go from the NHL. I think they see the WJC as a being good for development. If he's in the AHL .. I think they let him go. London is not out of the question though.. I think that move could be good for his development as well; particularly his puck skills.
he was playing against 19-21 year old players...going the OHL route is a step back for me. It is either NHL or AHL next year for him, makes no sense to go backwards...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
well, 2 reasons why I think we lose Brady.

Reason #1 - He is good

Reason #2 - Ottawa not so good

Brady looks like a pro player like many of us on here have been saying all along...the Sens have some talent but could use a player like him to HELP PREVENT THEIR NEXT PICK BEING A LOTTO PICK!!!

I think there is no chance he plays with us at the WJC folks...anyone disagree?

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Reason #1 - He is good

Brady looks like a pro player like many of us on here have been saying all along...the Sens have some talent but could use a player like him to HELP PREVENT THEIR NEXT PICK BEING A LOTTO PICK!!!

Yeah, I don't think he will be there for you guys for basically what you said, he is good and the sens are bad and need him.

You might get lucky if he hits a wall and struggles early but I wouldn't count on it.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

Reason #1 - He is good

Reason #1 Quinny to Rangers

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Reason #1 - He is good

Would be great to see him at the WJC but I agree, Tkachuk is me rlly and physically ready for the show, I think he sticks with the Sens for good after training camp is over.

Reactions: AmericanDream

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Anyone think Alec Regula would have a chance at making this team?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Anyone think Alec Regula would have a chance at making this team?

Not a great chance right now as he was cut at the summer showcase. That doesn't mean he's out of it by any means, but definitely needs to have a really strong start to the year. He's been my dark horse pick for the team since last season, but right now Joey Keane is the defenseman that's filled that role.

There are two things working in Regula's favor:
  • There's a dearth of right-handed defensemen in contention for the team. Right now, there's only 3 strong contenders: Joey Keane, Reilly Walsh, and Phil Kemp, and Kemp is purely a defensive-defenseman. Even beyond those 3, there's not a ton of obvious options right now beyond Regula, Bode Wilde, and Ty Emberson.
  • If Evan Bouchard and/or Adam Boqvist stick around with their respective NHL teams for a decent amount of time, Regula is going to play an even bigger role in London, which should give him an early opportunity to get USA Hockey's attention again.

Reactions: LDN

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Damn i hate the fact that Senators drafted Tkachuk. He should have stayed at Boston University. Sens are a crap team and now they rushed with him. It's a massive blow to this team of course. It would have been great to see him in Coyotes, which was really close. Matthews, both Tkachuks, Hughes, Boeser... Too many first round picks have gone to Canada in recent years.

Reactions: JiggsNY

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Damn i hate the fact that Senators drafted Tkachuk. He should have stayed at Boston University. Sens are a crap team and now they rushed with him. It's a massive blow to this team of course. It would have been great to see him in Coyotes, which was really close. Matthews, both Tkachuks, Hughes, Boeser... Too many first round picks have gone to Canada in recent years.
I know, they are probably just about the only team that he will be able to stay in the NHL for. Very unlucky for this team.

And you're right, a huge amount of USA's new wave of talent gets gobbled up by the few Canadian teams.

In Canada: Matthews, Gaudreau, Boeser, M. Tkachuk, Connor, B. Tkachuk, Trouba, Hanifin, Hellebuyck, Hughes

In America: Eichel, Keller, McAvoy, Werenski, Jones, Larkin, Mittelstadt, Debrincat, etc

Its kind of crazy how its worked out, considering theres only 7 Canadian teams to 24 American teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad