WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
hopefully they get a new philosophy in place and move away from the top 6 bottom 6 mentality that has plagued our teams for years. go with skill, skill, skill!! we have it in spades now, so utilize it. you can bring one or two solid two way players, that can pk, but we don't need 4-5 guys that can check or grind it out - that hardly is needed anymore at these tournaments.

so many tough calls here, they obviously put a lot of the bubble guys on team B here to see what they can do, let them run their own lines a bit.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If Tkachuk signs with the Sens before Aug 12th and makes the NHL, who takes the extra roster spot on the wing?
I may be wrong but even if he signs with us ,he should be still able to play in the WJC...He does need development time,and he would likely be in the AHL if he signed his ELC

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I will say this - damn we are weak on RD. We simply do not have much to offer from that position depth wise or high end talent wise right now.

This is my roster by trying to go LD/RD and actual forward lines....we will see what USA Hockey does and if they bring more talented LDs over some of the RDs we have. Obviously K'Andre Miller makes the team if healthy in December, just going by what we have here right now.

Defense

Quinn Hughes - Reilly Walsh
Dylan Samberg - Alec Regula
Mattias Samuelsson - Joey Keane
Mikey Anderson

Forwards

Joel Farabee - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Jay O'Brien
Jason Robertson - Sasha Chmelevski - Ivan Lodnia
Grant Mismash - Jake Wise - Logan Hutsko
Josh Norris

Goaltending

Spencer Knight
Cayden Primeau
Kyle Keyser

overall this is a deep group. a lot of talent will be left off this squad, and that is not even including any of the top 01's outside of Jack Hughes.

Defense might not be as mobile as I wanted since the RDs are bigger stay at home guys, but it is still a good balance here and a kid like Josh Ess can slip in here to add speed and transition.

That forward group is pretty damn lethal. All four lines has talent and balance. I have Norris as odd man out as he has to show more here, he needs to be a leader and not a passenger like he was last year. If this group can't make it to the Gold medal game, I think I might just throw in the towel lol!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I will say this - damn we are weak on RD. We simply do not have much to offer from that position depth wise or high end talent wise right now.

This is my roster by trying to go LD/RD and actual forward lines....we will see what USA Hockey does and if they bring more talented LDs over some of the RDs we have. Obviously K'Andre Miller makes the team if healthy in December, just going by what we have here right now.

Defense

Quinn Hughes - Reilly Walsh
Dylan Samberg - Alec Regula
Mattias Samuelsson - Joey Keane
Mikey Anderson

Forwards

Joel Farabee - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Jay O'Brien
Jason Robertson - Sasha Chmelevski - Ivan Lodnia
Grant Mismash - Jake Wise - Logan Hutsko
Josh Norris

Goaltending

Spencer Knight
Cayden Primeau
Kyle Keyser

overall this is a deep group. a lot of talent will be left off this squad, and that is not even including any of the top 01's outside of Jack Hughes.

Defense might not be as mobile as I wanted since the RDs are bigger stay at home guys, but it is still a good balance here and a kid like Josh Ess can slip in here to add speed and transition.

That forward group is pretty damn lethal. All four lines has talent and balance. I have Norris as odd man out as he has to show more here, he needs to be a leader and not a passenger like he was last year. If this group can't make it to the Gold medal game, I think I might just throw in the towel lol!

Keane is more of a puck transporter than a big stay at home guy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have watched Keane since his Chicago Mission days, I would not call him a PMD per say but he is mobile no doubt. My point was Regula, Tommy Miller, and Kemp all RDs to pick from, all bigger bodies and none of those three are very dynamic at this point.

This is what my defense would look like

Samberg-Hughes
Anderson-Walsh
Samuelsson-Keane
Wilde

I don't think Wilde makes it, but he would probably add some more of a dynamic offensive presence to that right side. Might not want him to play such a regular role, but for the PP and to take some shifts when you are down late in a game.

Reactions: AmericanDream

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
USA trims 13 players: D: Joshua Ess (CHI), David Farrance (NSH), Maxwell Gildon (FLA), Thomas Miller, Alec Regula (DET) F: Cole Coskey, Jonathan Gruden (OTT), Curtis Hall (BOS), Logan Hutsko (FLA), Brandon Kruse (VGK), Ivan Lodnia (MIN), Jacob McGrew (SJS) and Jake Wise (CHI)

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
USA trims 13 players: D: Joshua Ess (CHI), David Farrance (NSH), Maxwell Gildon (FLA), Thomas Miller, Alec Regula (DET) F: Cole Coskey, Jonathan Gruden (OTT), Curtis Hall (BOS), Logan Hutsko (FLA), Brandon Kruse (VGK), Ivan Lodnia (MIN), Jacob McGrew (SJS) and Jake Wise (CHI)
Wise seems to be the biggest cut. He had such a good second half last year. I thought Hutsko would have a chance to stick around too. Can guys cut now ever make the final roster if say they play amazingly? Or does this kind of mean they’re out?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wise seems to be the biggest cut. He had such a good second half last year. I thought Hutsko would have a chance to stick around too. Can guys cut now ever make the final roster if say they play amazingly? Or does this kind of mean they’re out?
guys can make it back in December, it has happened before.

Wise seemed like a solid 4th line center here, and surprised with Hutsko and Lodnia....none of the defense cuts are shocking, though Regula figured would stick around longer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
They get the team wrong every year. No wonder we win so infrequently.

USA Hockey needs their 20 year old grinders who've played a couple of years in College Hockey or in the USHL. They'll always give preference to those guys over players playing elsewhere or younger players. In fact, if you are undrafted or drafted really low and find your way onto the radar, it almost seems like you'll get preference over a more accomplished player. Why do they pick 2-3 players every year who've sucked their whole careers, make their way onto the back end of one of these camp rosters, have a couple good days in a training setting, and then they decide their whole career should be discounted for these geniuses on the spot assessment?

This is why we win so infrequently. Morons running the ship.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Th
They get the team wrong every year. No wonder we win so infrequently.

USA Hockey needs their 20 year old grinders who've played a couple of years in College Hockey or in the USHL. They'll always give preference to those guys over players playing elsewhere or younger players. In fact, if you are undrafted or drafted really low and find your way onto the radar, it almost seems like you'll get preference over a more accomplished player. Why do they pick 2-3 players every year who've sucked their whole careers, make their way onto the back end of one of these camp rosters, have a couple good days in a training setting, and then they decide their whole career should be discounted for these geniuses on the spot assessment?

This is why we win so infrequently. Morons running the ship.
The U.S has won 3 times in the past 8 years I think, I wouldn't call that infrequently.

Competing for gold against the likes of Canada,Sweden,Finland,Russia 3 out of 8 seems fine.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Really surprised at the Lodnia and Hutsko cuts. The rest are all easily defensible. I would have liked Regula to stick around as he has the tools to be a contributor, but likely a year early for him. Some major overreaction to these cuts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Th

The U.S has won 3 times in the past 8 years I think, I wouldn't call that infrequently.

Competing for gold against the likes of Canada,Sweden,Finland,Russia 3 out of 8 seems fine.

You cherry picked those numbers. We haven’t done well recently compared to the other top countries.

No reason we shouldn’t be the second most successful team after Canada.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You cherry picked those numbers. We haven’t done well recently compared to the other top countries.

No reason we shouldn’t be the second most successful team after Canada.
The last 8 years is not really cherry picking at all considering how the U.S junior program has ramped up it's development in the last decade compared to the previous 3, winning 3 out of 8 previously would have been really overachieving considering the talent then compared to now that the U.S has.

But the last 8 years are recent history and therefore quite relevant to any discussion of fans expectations today.Not much sense bringing in 1980's and 1990's numbers into this anymore.

Winning almost half of the last 8 is pretty damn good, are you implying the U.S should have been winning more in the past? or that they should be winning almost every single one now?

If this is what you are implying then I don't think you have a very good grasp on the realities of the WJC in the past or the present and I am not saying this in an insulting way,just an observation based on the expectations you seem to have in that post. In the past the U.S most years just weren't up to the level of other countries and were not going to win many. Today, they are a true powerhouse that can win in any given year yet are still not some unstoppable juggernaut yet that can be expected to walk away with gold every single year.

You say there is no reason you shouldn't be second after Canada at the junior level, do you realize that you already are now? In fact, one may make a case that you are currently number one. Since 2010 no one has won gold as many times as the U.S................3.

Historically Canada is number one sure, but right now? that's pretty much a toss up.

I just don't get where you are coming from in that post, perhaps you can explain it to me a little more.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So this is what we have left?

Farabee-Hughes-Wahlstrom
Tkachuk-Poehling-Chmelevski
Robertson-O'Brien-Drury
Mismash-Norris-Dhooghe
Cates-Barratt-Cotter
Cockeril
Barratt and Cotter have been impressive...Dhooghe and Cates need to go IMO...always loved Dhooghe, just not seeing that role for him here.

Reactions: JiggsNY

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The last 8 years is not really cherry picking at all considering how the U.S junior program has ramped up it's development in the last decade compared to the previous 3, winning 3 out of 8 previously would have been really overachieving considering the talent then compared to now that the U.S has.

But the last 8 years are recent history and therefore quite relevant to any discussion of fans expectations today.Not much sense bringing in 1980's and 1990's numbers into this anymore.

Winning almost half of the last 8 is pretty damn good, are you implying the U.S should have been winning more in the past? or that they should be winning almost every single one now?

If this is what you are implying then I don't think you have a very good grasp on the realities of the WJC in the past or the present and I am not saying this in an insulting way,just an observation based on the expectations you seem to have in that post. In the past the U.S most years just weren't up to the level of other countries and were not going to win many. Today, they are a true powerhouse that can win in any given year yet are still not some unstoppable juggernaut yet that can be expected to walk away with gold every single year.

You say there is no reason you shouldn't be second after Canada at the junior level, do you realize that you already are now? In fact, one may make a case that you are currently number one. Since 2010 no one has won gold as many times as the U.S................3.

Historically Canada is number one sure, but right now? that's pretty much a toss up.

I just don't get where you are coming from in that post, perhaps you can explain it to me a little more.

8 years is a cherry picked number. Who uses 8 years as a barometer as opposed to a round number like 5 or 10 or 15 or 20? Or how about since the WJC started being played? What I am implying is that the USA has underachieved in this tournament of late. As I mentioned already, 8 years is a cherry-picked number.

If you use a more round number or even other measures, like title game appearances, medals, it doesn't paint a picture of the clear second best team. Thats what I believe the USA should be. If we aren't that, we are underachieving. With all due respect to Finland, Russian, Sweden, I think we are producing more talent than those countries. And thats not to say that some of those countries don't also underachieve. Sweden and Russia have a recent habit of being very consistent, but not winning the big games. I think part of that is due to roster decisions. Like the USA, they are known to make some really bad roster decisions. Finland, who I think has done very well in comparison to the talent they have, does not have these bad roster decisions anywhere near as often as these other countries. They pick their best players. They don't try to outsmart everyone with their roster.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So this is what we have left?

Farabee-Hughes-Wahlstrom
Tkachuk-Poehling-Chmelevski
Robertson-O'Brien-Drury
Mismash-Norris-Dhooghe
Cates-Barratt-Cotter
Cockeril

Among the players left here, I'd put Barratt in the Drury spot, and Drury in the Dhooghe spot.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
8 years is a cherry picked number. Who uses 8 years as a barometer as opposed to a round number like 5 or 10 or 15 or 20? Or how about since the WJC started being played? What I am implying is that the USA has underachieved in this tournament of late. As I mentioned already, 8 years is a cherry-picked number.

If you use a more round number or even other measures, like title game appearances, medals, it doesn't paint a picture of the clear second best team. Thats what I believe the USA should be. If we aren't that, we are underachieving. With all due respect to Finland, Russian, Sweden, I think we are producing more talent than those countries. And thats not to say that some of those countries don't also underachieve. Sweden and Russia have a recent habit of being very consistent, but not winning the big games. I think part of that is due to roster decisions. Like the USA, they are known to make some really bad roster decisions. Finland, who I think has done very well in comparison to the talent they have, does not have these bad roster decisions anywhere near as often as these other countries. They pick their best players. They don't try to outsmart everyone with their roster.
O.k, say 10 then, you still have 3 golds in that span, whats the issue here?

You had zero golds in the 80's, you had zero golds in the 90's, you had one gold in the 2000's and the decade isn't even over yet and you have 3 already with a great chance at a fourth here coming up in january. You don't think that's good? you don't think that is fairly significant?I guess I do have to bring up 80's and 90's numbers now to give a reality check.

Again, are you implying that you should have like 6-7 this decade ? aren't you selling the competition short and overrating your own team? You have to get past teams like Canada,Finland,Sweden,Russia, they're good!! you aren't garunteed anything competing against them.

Even teams like the czechs and Slovaks some years can mess things up for a team much like they did last year when slovakia beat the U.S and it caused them to have a tougher road to the finals, that shit can happen to anyone, the U.S isn't immune.

Look at your results the past ten years and the quality and amount of U.S players drafted.Honestly,You are the first U.S fan here I have seen who is not absolutely giddy with what U.S hockey is doing lately.

I don't get it, you would think you would be thrilled,everyone else seems to be and considering your results now compared to the past...........rightly so!!

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You are misconstruing what I said for the second time. I explained what I meant, and you are still trying to interpret it to your liking instead of what I said. I don't see this discussion being productive in a manner like that. I'm not going to explain myself again.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You are misconstruing what I said for the second time. I explained what I meant, and you are still trying to interpret it to your liking instead of what I said. I don't see this discussion being productive in a manner like that. I'm not going to explain myself again.
That's fine,I don't need anymore explanation from you, you've said enough for me to see where you are coming from.

And you are coming from a place that is not reality in International hockey at the moment.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad