WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I'm planning on making it to Kamloops for the showcase. If i have to pick between those two teams which one do you think will be the better option?
Hmm, well I’ll be honest here. It could be biasness of course but I like the White team (I’m a Flyers fan). That being said you have the Quinn brothers and Wahlstrom on that team and while a Flyers fan two first round picks in Farabee & O’Brien playing. Then you have two really good goalies and Jack Drury who is a solid player. I would choose White.

Edit: just saw Norris & Robinson on White also. Yea I would choose White.

Last edited:
Reactions: bukwas

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
There were no glaring omissions or inclusions in my mind of the 42 players named to the World Junior Summer Showcase roster. You could make cases for or against certain players, but no grossly incompetent decisions as we've seen previously. There's enough talent to compete for gold, and anything less than a medal would be a massive disappointment.

Notes:

Forwards
  • Players on my list that weren't invited:
    • Cole Caufield, Tyler Madden, Blake McLaughlin, Alex Steeves, Alex Turcotte
  • Players not on my list that were invited:
    • Noah Cates, Paul Cotter, Curtis Hall, Jacob McGrew
  • I imagine some folks will take issue with Caufield/Turcotte, but they'll get their chance in December if they're dominating next year.
  • There were going to be non-NTDP USHL forwards, the question was which ones? USA went with Cates, Cotter, Drury, and Hall. Cotter and Hall were a bit surprising to me over the other options, but interested to see how they do.
Defense
    • Ty Emberson, Max Gildon, Bode Wilde, Graham Lillibridge, Spencer Stastney, Wyatt Wylie
    • Matt Anderson, Josh Ess, Phil Kemp, Tommy Miller
  • I was surprised by a couple omissions, most notably Emberson and Gildon. I don't think either would have been strong contenders for the team, but both deserved looks at camp.
  • Everyone will key in on Wilde, but he didn't deserve to be here. He had a rough second half of the season with the NTDP and a dreadful U18s. He has a lot of talent, but he's far too inconsistent and right now, his lows are dreadfully low.
  • I'm a bit surprised at the Anderson, Ess, Kemp, and Miller inclusions. Not any one of them individually (I fully expected Kemp here), but that all 4 are here. I think it's more a sign that the staff is pretty comfortable with their offensive, puck moving options, but the shutdown role(s) are up in the air, hence Anderson, Kemp, and Miller, whereas the staff likes Ess for his skating ability and possible untapped offensive potential.
Goalies
    • Dylan St. Cyr
    • Kyle Keyser
  • Right now, Primeau and Knight should be locks with Primeau on track to start. Give the other spot to the next best goalie. Not surprised that St. Cyr isn't here. Yes, he's tiny, but I think they left him home because he basically didn't play last year as Cale Morris dominated in net for Notre Dame.
I haven’t seen his name anywhere. Thought he was an unknown guy. When I watched McLaughlin, Lilibridge always played great. Didn’t think anyone knew about him

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wonder what Bode Wilde did to piss off Team USA. I understand his faults but he was the highest scoring defenseman for the U18 team this year. You have to think even if they didn't have big plans for this year they would bring him in to groom him for next year

Same reasons that caused him to drop in the draft.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
I wonder what Bode Wilde did to piss off Team USA. I understand his faults but he was the highest scoring defenseman for the U18 team this year. You have to think even if they didn't have big plans for this year they would bring him in to groom him for next year

It's going to be a tough year to make the team as a defensemen. With Gildon's addition there are now 11 D in camp who already have a full NCAA season under their belts. That's a lot of experience for an underage to overcome, in a tournament where experience is paramount...

It's going to be a great (and perhaps all '99) blueline for team USA...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's going to be a tough year to make the team as a defensemen. With Gildon's addition there are now 11 D in camp who already have a full NCAA season under their belts. That's a lot of experience for an underage to overcome, in a tournament where experience is paramount...

It's going to be a great (and perhaps all '99) blueline for team USA...

As I said I understand him not making the team but you think they would get him there to prime him up for the 2020 JRs

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Quinn Hughes officially returning to Michigan next season. That's the right move for Quinn and the Canucks. There's no need to rush him. This season of hockey will be huge for him: NCAA season, WJC, and likely WC, the latter two probably in tandem with his brother. Not only should that give him the chance to gain a ton of experience again this year and enjoy some once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, but there's also the possibility he signs with Vancouver after the NCAA season is over for a taste of the NHL/AHL as well. Not sure Vancouver will want to burn the ELC year, and Quinn isn't a flight risk, but still an option. This gives Quinn a critical year to focus on putting on 10-15 lbs and I'm sure a clear path has already been defined by all parties.

That should leave Tkachuk as the only real flight risk, although Ottawa would not be wise to rush him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if Josh Norris has another so so year, I can see him not making this squad especially with Wise, Barratt and Turcotte breathing down his neck for a center position.

Turcotte will most definitely be here at camp in December, I almost have to believe he lands a spot as well if he maintains the level of play he produced this past season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
if Josh Norris has another so so year, I can see him not making this squad especially with Wise, Barratt and Turcotte breathing down his neck for a center position.

Turcotte will most definitely be here at camp in December, I almost have to believe he lands a spot as well if he maintains the level of play he produced this past season.

I wouldn't be sure. These are the same people who left Keller off the team.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Easy to understand, the kid has one of the lowest hockey IQ in that draft, I called it prior the draft that he would slide late first to early second round... Not only he has poor gap control, below average decision making and overall below average defensive play, but his offensive production while quarterbacking a stacked first PP unit was nothing to write about, too many times his passing was off and his shots were blocked, just like he couldnt figure out opponents in his shooting lane... it reached the point where his coach just decided to replace him on the first PP unit by York... Dumb Wilde is just not a smart hockey player, thats a wasted pick for the Islanders IMO since his bust potential is extremmely high... Only chance to succeed goes by a brain transplantation or maybe some ritalin like treatments for his whole carreer if you are lucky...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Easy to understand, the kid has one of the lowest hockey IQ in that draft, I called it prior the draft that he would slide late first to early second round... Not only he has poor gap control, below average decision making and overall below average defensive play, but his offensive production while quarterbacking a stacked first PP unit was nothing to write about, too many times his passing was off and his shots were blocked, just like he couldnt figure out opponents in his shooting lane... it reached the point where his coach just decided to replace him on the first PP unit by York... Dumb Wilde is just not a smart hockey player, thats a wasted pick for the Islanders IMO since his bust potential is extremmely high... Only chance to succeed goes by a brain transplantation or maybe some ritalin like treatments for his whole carreer if you are lucky...

You seem to be extrapolating really dumb conclusions from watching a couple of bad games. But thats what a lot of people do on here. They take how someone played at one tournament they happened to watch, and decide its the normal mode of operation for the whole season.

Reactions: kroypuck

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
You seem to be extrapolating really dumb conclusions from watching a couple of bad games. But thats what a lot of people do on here. They take how someone played at one tournament they happened to watch, and decide its the normal mode of operation for the whole season.
I actually watched the NTDP alot this year subscribing to hockeytv and it took me only a few games to figure out how flawed his game was and how dumb he could be on the ice, you see flashes of high skills at times but the brain is just not there most of the times... I was claiming that Kandre Miller was the best of the 3 (the one who stood out the most for the good reasons) and was laughed at... Not sure you can laugh at me anymore after that draft... ;)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I actually watched the NTDP alot this year subscribing to hockeytv and it took me only a few games to figure out how flawed his game was and how dumb he could be on the ice, you see flashes of high skills at times but the brain is just not there most of the times... I was claiming that Kandre Miller was the best of the 3 (the one who stood out the most for the good reasons) and was laughed at... Not sure you can laugh at me anymore after that draft... ;)

If you watched a lot of games and thats your conclusion, I think it's an even worse reflection.

I think I know what you are trying to get at with the "winky face", and I'll just say that I don't bow down to my team's decision makers. If I don't agree with their decisions, I'll say it.

Reactions: AmericanDream

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

The draft was like a month ago and no one knows how any of these players will turn out. Little early to make these conclusions. You act as is the draft order determines a players NHL success.

As far as Wilde goes, he's a project player but he has all the tangibles of an NHL defenseman. His IQ is not as big of an issue as people think it is. He had a great first half and struggled in the 2nd and had a terrible U18. Stuff like that happens and he dropped for it. The guy plays a few bad games and everyone comes here screaming that his IQ is terrible. He put up 41 points for god sakes and his team was not as stacked as everyone thinks it was.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I wouldn't say anyone would laugh at you for putting Miller ahead of any of the USNDP dmen...I see more concerns and flaws in Miller's game that Wilde's, but Wilde has been a known prospect for a longer time than Miller and seems to have soured on some scouts included.

For my money, M. Samuelsson was the best of the bunch of the USNDP defenders, and it wasn't even close. How a team drafts or why they take a player ahead of another proves nothing but they had someone higher on their board. Jake Wise went 69th overall, I would say in 2 years, about 20 plus teams are going to massively regret passing on him twice. Scouts and GMs are stupid too.

Wilde has concerns, I have listed them and stated them myself many times on here. He makes bad passes at times, pinches incorrectly at others, but on pure talent and potential, there isn't many in the draft that have a higher ceiling than him. I do not call him dumb at all, just needs to think the game better. You can tell Wilde is a player who has relied on his God given ability for years as he was far more physically advanced than his peers...now it is a different world, and effort, dedication (his conditioning was questioned), and understanding the x's and o's is where he is at right now...Miller has many of the same issues as well but gets the excuse that he played defense for only 2-3 years prior to this season...

Miller and Wilde both can flop, both can make it as stars, or only one can...nothing has been decided yet, and let's hope Wilde takes this next year far more serious than he did this season as his ceiling is unbelievable if he puts it all together. The draft was a wakeup call for Wilde, and him not being included at the summer eval camp is wake up call 2 - ball or puck if you like is in his court.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Some people over here are underrating Miller's defensive game big time, he has insane gap control, very good positionning, great puck retriever, very good stick, great mobility, physicality and is much smarter than Wilde the way he thinks the game and defends lol no comparison here...

As for M.Samuelsson, he struggles too much under pressure when forecheckers come to him too fast while Miller uses his size strength mobility and smarts to get away from that pressure and make the safe plays...

Miller will make a bad play once in a while but thats more related to a lack of focuss than caused by fundamental flaws...

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
DdwV5SaVQAEM1iy.jpg

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Supposedly the camp cuts will be tomorrow morning. USA-W still with one game to go later tonight.

USA-W is stacked up front in comparison to USA-B, especially with the latter not having Poehling for any of the games, but I'm interested to see which USA-B forwards survive the cuts. Obviously Tkachuk/Poehling are locks for the WJC team, but other than Chmelevksi and Hutsko, I don't think any of the forwards are strong contenders for the team right now for more than a checking role at best. It's nice to see Chmelevksi/Hutkso garnering praise thus far as they're contenders for the second tier scoring depth that's so important at the WJC. It's especially nice to see Hutsko doing well after his NTDP career was basically non-existent due to some major injuries (broken neck, broken kneecap), but he had a great freshmen campaign at BC and could be an unheralded player on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad